Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Lion on Sony Vaio SA/SB/SE (VPCSA/SB/SE)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prime said:
Someone have this issue ?. Brighness 50% at boot, 100% after sleep.

Sorry Prime, I'm not even at that stage yet. Although when I boot from unibeast I don't notice a low brightness and I don't dare put the thing to sleep! In fact my set up seems to be gradually degrading as I have lost ethernet functionality recently.

Could you do me a favor though? Could you copy and paste the contents of your "org.chameleon.Boot.plist" file that is in /Extra? I am trying to get my SB to boot osx and I think it might be something to do with what is in that file.

Actually Jay even though you have an SA, could you post your org.chameleon.Boot.plist as well?! Just to give me something I can work from.

Pity about the trackpad, double scroll and all that would be very nice. Right now my trackpad scrolls "backwards"?!... something very wrong about my setup...

Thanks a lot!

jaymonkey,

I am VPCSE (from that batch that Vanns had the specials on a while back) and touchpad files provided by you did not work. When I check System Information on the Software / Preference Panes it still points to the one in /System/Library/PreferencePanes/Trackpad.prefPane . In the ApplePS2TrackPad.kext you provided, it has this perculiar keys that might be the issue:

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>
<string>Safe Boot</string>
<key>_MKEXTBundlePath</key>
<string>/Users/HJMac/Desktop/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePS2Trackpad.kext</string>
<key>_MKEXTExecutable</key>
<integer>410425</integer>
<key>_MKEXTExecutableRelativePath</key>
<string>Contents/MacOS/ApplePS2Trackpad</string>

Here are some info when I am running Fedora that might be useful to you:

[ 1.402905] i8042: PNP: PS/2 Controller [PNP0303:pS2K,PNP0f13:pS2M] at 0x60,0x64 irq 1,12
[ 1.405520] serio: i8042 KBD port at 0x60,0x64 irq 1
[ 1.405525] serio: i8042 AUX port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12
[ 2.136982] psmouse serio1: synaptics: Touchpad model: 1, fw: 7.4, id: 0x1e0b1, caps: 0xd04773/0xa40000/0xa0400
[ 2.172039] input: SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad as /devices/platform/i8042/serio1/input/input3

Let me know if you have any changes you want me to try.

Thanks,

wadalada

Guys,

After following the Dell guys on the projectosx forum, I followed their method and included commands in my SSDT file to turn off the ATI gfx card. It seemed to work in producing less heat and show longer time remaining. I have yet to compare the number to Windows 7 but it does feel cooler. I have enclosed my DSDT with 1080p screen for anyone who wants to test.

Other things I have found that is perculiar with Sony is that I experienced 50/50 chance of battery status working on each boot. It seems like either oSX or Sony not resetting to a similar state every time so everything is iffy. Sometimes, a good shutdown and letting all the bits settle before starting up helps with random issues. Another thing is that I only have to enable Generate C-states in my boot loader because that is the only thing that complained in the /var/log/kernel.

Good luck to everyone who is working on making Sony work,

wadalada

Attachments

• DSDT.zip
    14.7 KB · Views: 89
wadalada said:
Guys,

After following the Dell guys on the projectosx forum, I followed their method and included commands in my SSDT file to turn off the ATI gfx card. It seemed to work in producing less heat and show longer time remaining. I have yet to compare the number to Windows 7 but it does feel cooler. I have enclosed my DSDT with 1080p screen for anyone who wants to test.

Other things I have found that is perculiar with Sony is that I experienced 50/50 chance of battery status working on each boot. It seems like either oSX or Sony not resetting to a similar state every time so everything is iffy. Sometimes, a good shutdown and letting all the bits settle before starting up helps with random issues. Another thing is that I only have to enable Generate C-states in my boot loader because that is the only thing that complained in the /var/log/kernel.

Good luck to everyone who is working on making Sony work,

wadalada
Some very interesting stuff there. I have actually found similar code for our machines in one of the SSDTs, its seems what the guys at projectosx did is integrate that ssdt code into the main dsdt so we can use it from there. Ill do the same thing with our laptops code, which in theory should work 100%. Thanks for the tip, that might just fix all our temperature problems!

EDIT:

Turns out "our" code is pretty much identical once cleaned up. Tested, works great. idle temps down from ~75 to ~60. I recon the last 5 degrees needed to get to windows temps is the thermal control strategy options. Ill look into those next. Mac is now usable for me!

Added a new pack to the first post

EDIT 2:

The ApplePS2 kexts "work" for me as in the trackpad works as a ps2 mouse, but no improvement over voodooPS2.
Out of interest, the device IDs (closest kinda thing I could get) of the trackpad on a SA are PNP0F13 or SNY9014, any different for the SE?

Impressed how things seem to be moving along... turning off the extra card should be a huge saving in battery life and make me want to use osx outside the house as well. I haven't been using osx much yet due to boot problems but I have to say I hadn't noticed any loud fan or heat issues when I did.

Anyway for anyone interested/with similar issues it turns out my problems booting were two-fold:

1) Chimera 1.8 and 1.9 have a bug which stops you from using multiboot /boot option. Apparently you can use 1.7, but I haven't been able to get a copy (no replies in the chimera forum). Instead installing chameleon using chameleon wizard and the boot0hfs option did the job for me. It did wipe out my grub2 on the mbr, but that's an easy fix with a linux live cd.

2) I hadn't installed fakeSMC using multibeast. This seems to be the thing that crashed osx on boot. I'm not sure if this is just working for me, but if not, maybe the guide on the first post could be updated to mention installing the fakeSMC kext. I didn't install the fakeSMC plugins that are marked as optional.

Right I'll probably have a whole bunch of new problems to deal with now, but at least it boots!

btw, to try out the amd gfx turn off thingy, should I just replace my dsdt.aml file in /Extra with the appropriate one in the new vaio pack?

@CyberWalrus
My SB35 black screen when using DSDT in the a newest pack to the first post

Prime said:
@CyberWalrus
My SB35 black screen when using DSDT in the a newest pack to the first post

That's odd... the 1600x900 dsdt works fine for me, and the EDID in the 1366x968 screen is correct, and duallink has definitely been removed...

Are you using the correct dsdt for your resolution?

I corrected some minor formatting issues with my dsdt generation script, but they shouldn't have effected the actual dsdt...

mzata said:
Impressed how things seem to be moving along... turning off the extra card should be a huge saving in battery life and make me want to use osx outside the house as well. I haven't been using osx much yet due to boot problems but I have to say I hadn't noticed any loud fan or heat issues when I did.

Anyway for anyone interested/with similar issues it turns out my problems booting were two-fold:

1) Chimera 1.8 and 1.9 have a bug which stops you from using multiboot /boot option. Apparently you can use 1.7, but I haven't been able to get a copy (no replies in the chimera forum). Instead installing chameleon using chameleon wizard and the boot0hfs option did the job for me. It did wipe out my grub2 on the mbr, but that's an easy fix with a linux live cd.

2) I hadn't installed fakeSMC using multibeast. This seems to be the thing that crashed osx on boot. I'm not sure if this is just working for me, but if not, maybe the guide on the first post could be updated to mention installing the fakeSMC kext. I didn't install the fakeSMC plugins that are marked as optional.

Right I'll probably have a whole bunch of new problems to deal with now, but at least it boots!

btw, to try out the amd gfx turn off thingy, should I just replace my dsdt.aml file in /Extra with the appropriate one in the new vaio pack?
Yes.

fakeSMC should be installed automatically with the user DSDT option. The plugins aren't needed for it to work, they're just for temperature reporting. I think I will start including the fakeSMC 4.1 kext that I use and relevant plugins, as the temperature reporting works perfectly then, and some people might use it I guess.

@CyberWalrus
Work fine after i download a new pack :clap: . Thanks so much. Only Intel HD. Temperature down. Power consumption down. Great!!. Battery status gone when i used this DSDT. And my SB brightness still 50% on boot, only 100% after sleep. Do you have this issue ?. Sorry my bad English. I'm from Vietnam

@Wadalada

RE: Trackpad

Very strange, I could understand it possibly not working on SA & SB, but you would have though it would have worked on another SE ?, It seems bullet proof in terms of gestures and tracking .. etc.

Just for the record my Vaio is VPCSE2C5E

Interestingly, when I check System Information on the Software / Preference Panes it also points to the one in /System/Library/PreferencePanes/Trackpad.prefPane .

However, checking ‘Extensions’ in System Information shows that both the kext’s from the Trackpad pack are loaded: -

AppleACPIP2Nub.kext (ver 1.0.0d1)
ApplePS2Controller.kext (ver 1.1.5)

I’ll continue to work on it a bit, try and figure out how/why it works on my SE, if I find something I will post it here for you and others to try.

I think the keys & strings in the ApplePS2Trackpad.kext that you pointed out are some sort of compiler settings, MKEXT = Make KEXT ?, possibly a leftover from whoever compiled this custom kext ?

RE: Latest DSDT

Great work mate, Tried it this morning, the ATI graphics card no longer shows in System Information and system fans seems to have backed off a bit. I was working on a writing a custom kext reverse engineering the Linux ACPI call as suggested by Cyberwalrus but your solution is much more elegant – Nice Work.

Also so far, I have had none of the strange graphical artifacts that I have been experiencing from using your first 1920x1080 DSDT. Will keep an eye on that one and report back.

RE: Battery

I too experience this, though I would say its more like 70/30 (70% of the time it seems to work ok) but sometimes it shows a 'X' in the battery icon and clicking on it shows no battery found !

I know that Sony use to do some strange things with the battery charging & monitoring circuits, at least with the older SZ & TZ series they did. It was to stop people using 3rd party (IE Much cheaper) batteries. Not sure if this is the same problem but might be worth considering. We may just have to live with it. As you say a reboot usually sorts it out.

@Cyberwalrus

What utility are you using to monitor temps?, do you use the SMBIOS sensor plugins ? I haven’t done any temp monitoring so far but now I think it might be worth keeping an eye on things.

Thanks Again
Jay

@CyberWalrus
This DSDT work fine for me. Can you remove ATI card in this DSDT?. Thanks.

Attachments

• DSDT.aml
    33.2 KB · Views: 136
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back