Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Lion on Sony Vaio SA/SB/SE (VPCSA/SB/SE)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My SB Brightness 50% at boot, 100% after wake up. How i can fix this issue ?.

@cyberwalrus

Have finely got my Wi-Fi working . . .

Had done 5 clean installs but always the same problems with the Wi-Fi using your IO80211Family.kext. Wi-Fi works for a few restarts then Wi-Fi hardware disappears, can get back using procedure described in my last post, but always ends up with the same issue. Also had the odd lockup and experienced some strange video artifacts in OSX GUI, sometimes long horizontal lines when opening apps, sometimes white blobs on desktop icons ?

I decided to look around a bit for anther solution, eventually I found someone with a dell laptop using the same Wi-Fi card as us who was experiencing the same problems as me. I think it was on the insanely mac forum. Anyway someone posted a reply with a link to a set of kext’s on osx86.net. This was a new IO80211Family.kext but also included two other kext, IO80211Family9287.kext and IONetworkingFamily.kext.

Clean Install Number 6, but used these new network kext’s.

Machine has become a lot more stable; Wi-Fi works all the time now, wakes from sleep, restart, turn Off & On Wi-Fi… seems flawless.

What’s more interesting is that the lock ups and graphical artifacts have all gone to, the machine now seems very stable and hasn’t missed a beat other than the known remaining issues (Sound not working on awake after sleep, usb3, SD reader, ATI Graphics) also seems to run cooler but this could just because everytime the machine was about to lockup the fans went mad then everything froze.

If anyone with Sony S series is experiencing weird network connection issues using AR9287 Wi-Fi card and/or strange lock-ups and graphical artefact’s, it might be worth giving the attached a go. No guarantees as everyone’s VaioBook Pro's are going to be slightly different but it works great for me and has now made the machine usable.

Current System Summary :-

Sony Vaio SE 15.5” 1920x1080
8GB RAM
128GB SATA-3 SSD (running as SATA 2)
750GB 7800 RPM HDD (in Optical Drive bay Caddy)
Atheros AR9287 WiFi Card

OSX installed using latest 10.7.3 installer from Apple app store & Unibeast 1.2 Using 1920-1080 DSDT posted by @wadalada on page 37 which is based on the DSDT Created by @Cyberwalrus

Track pad working correctly with gestures using kext I posted on Page 37.

I will consolidate everything I have done to get OSX working on Sony SE into a new thread once I am happy that its now a stable system.

Thanks again to everyone’s input, I think between us we can get some of the remaining issues resolved.

Cheers
Jay

Attachments

• AtherosAR5B97.zip
    12.2 MB · Views: 96
@Vaio36

Now that I have a somewhat stable system, and working Wi-Fi I would like to help/work on the remaining issues.

I was wondering how you where getting on with the AppleHDA for Sony Vaio S ?

At the moment I am using the AppleHDA.kext as supplied in @Cyberwalru’s Vaiopack, not sure if this an evolution of the one you are working on or another one.

My Sounds Works as follows: -

AppleHDA = Kext Verson = 1.79a4 - from @Cyberwalrus Vaio Pack
AppleHDAController = Kext Version 1.79a4 - Default 10.7.3 kext

On Boot up, Internal Speakers work fine, Can plug and unplug headphones without problems. Sounds switches from speakers to headphones automatically and displays as such in ‘System Preferences > Sound > Output Devices’ – can do this as many times as I like, all works perfect. Also seems to be the case after Display Sleep – not full sleep, however I have experienced 1 or 2 OS X lock-ups on display awake, maybe 1 in 10 ?

Plugging in HDMI lead to external HDMI Display; video works fine, can set display resolution up to 1080P and all works well but no HDMI audio, nor HDMI Output Device in Sound Preferences. I don’t think its being detected as a HDMI audio device; I’m guessing the answer to this one lies in the DSDT.

After sleep and awake no more sound output via Internal Speakers although Internal Speakers show as output device in sound Preferences. Sound still works via headphone jack – can plug in and out and sound continues to work on headphones only. Sound Output Device still switching automatically from Internal Speakers to Headphones in ‘System Preferences > Sound > Output Devices’

The Internal Microphone seems to work fine all the time.

I think there must be something wrong with the way the OS X re-initialized the audio hardware after sleep mode ?

Have you got any further? any ideas? Anything I can try or test ?

If not I will start to investigate further.

Cheers
Jay

jaymonkey said:
@Vaio36

Now that I have a somewhat stable system, and working Wi-Fi I would like to help/work on the remaining issues.

I was wondering how you where getting on with the AppleHDA for Sony Vaio S ?

At the moment I am using the AppleHDA.kext as supplied in @Cyberwalru’s Vaiopack, not sure if this an evolution of the one you are working on or another one.

My Sounds Works as follows: -

AppleHDA = Kext Verson = 1.79a4 - from @Cyberwalrus Vaio Pack
AppleHDAController = Kext Version 1.79a4 - Default 10.7.3 kext

On Boot up, Internal Speakers work fine, Can plug and unplug headphones without problems. Sounds switches from speakers to headphones automatically and displays as such in ‘System Preferences > Sound > Output Devices’ – can do this as many times as I like, all works perfect. Also seems to be the case after Display Sleep – not full sleep, however I have experienced 1 or 2 OS X lock-ups on display awake, maybe 1 in 10 ?

Plugging in HDMI lead to external HDMI Display; video works fine, can set display resolution up to 1080P and all works well but no HDMI audio, nor HDMI Output Device in Sound Preferences. I don’t think its being detected as a HDMI audio device; I’m guessing the answer to this one lies in the DSDT.

After sleep and awake no more sound output via Internal Speakers although Internal Speakers show as output device in sound Preferences. Sound still works via headphone jack – can plug in and out and sound continues to work on headphones only. Sound Output Device still switching automatically from Internal Speakers to Headphones in ‘System Preferences > Sound > Output Devices’

The Internal Microphone seems to work fine all the time.

I think there must be something wrong with the way the OS X re-initialized the audio hardware after sleep mode ?

Have you got any further? any ideas? Anything I can try or test ?

If not I will start to investigate further.

Cheers
Jay
thank you for your analysis

APPLEHDA1.7.9a4 no sound after sleep can be fixed if replace IOAUDIOFAMILY.KEXT by 1.7.2 version.
AppleHDA 1.7.9a4 doesn't support HDMI, only AppleHDA 2.11 or above version support it.
i attached an appleHDA 2.1.3 with HDMI supported, you can test it.

many thanks if you start to do further investigation..

I was wondering, could anyone with a working install of os x on a vaio sb post the contents of their com.chameleon ...yadayada .plist file? The one in /Extra.

I think I've got some sort of a boot going, but it crashes and instantly reboots without giving me a chance to see what the error is, even in verbose mode.

I videoed it and could just about make out it saying that it was starting darwin_x86_64 and then it crashes...

I've been messing about with the chameleon plist, but it would be really helpful to have some sort of reference to go with it.

Thx!

@Vaio36

Thanks for your suggestions.

vaio36 said:
APPLEHDA1.7.9a4 no sound after sleep can be fixed if replace IOAUDIOFAMILY.KEXT by 1.7.2 version..

If I understand you correct, using the IOAudioFamily.kext from Lion 10.7.2, fixes the no speaker sound with Lion 10.7.3 after sleep? I checked my version of IOAudioFamily.kext which is 1.8.6. I went through my old Lion archives and found version 1.8.3. Not sure if this is Lion 10.7.1 or 10.7.2. Could you please check what version you are using, if it’s different to 1.8.3 or 1.8.6 could you please post your version of IOAudioFamily.kext.

vaio36 said:
AppleHDA 1.7.9a4 doesn't support HDMI, only AppleHDA 2.11 or above version support it.
i attached an appleHDA 2.1.3 with HDMI supported, you can test it.

I have tried all the versions of your new AppleHDA.kext the most recent I could find is on page 34 posted on April 7th 2012. All the Audio Output Ports show up in System Information including the HDMI Audio Device but there are no Output Devices in System Preferences > Sound > Output ? - so I can not get any Sound on Headphones, Speaker or HDMI.

I tried the terminal sudo commands you suggested on the bottom of page 33 but still no Output Devices in System Preferences > Sound > Output.

After I tried all combinations of your AppleHDA.kext and IOAudioFamilay.kext I could not get my sound to work at all even after going back to Cyberwalrus’s VaioPack AppleHDA.kext and original 10.7.3 IOAudioFamily.kext. I always use Kext Utility to install Kexts and also run it after renaming or deleting kext's. So attributes and caches are always correct. I Had to restore a Timemachine backup to get sound working again.

If you have newer/correct versions of both of these files I am happy to give them anther go and see if I can help but at the moment it is not looking good.

Cheers
Jay

PS: Did you try the Trackpad solution i posted on page 39 ? It works perfect for me, two finger gesture scrolling .. etc all working would be interested to know if it works for anyone else.

@jaymonkey
Trackpad not work for me. SB35

Someone have this issue ?. Brighness 50% at boot, 100% after sleep.

Hummm,

Looks like maybe SE has different Trackpad to SA & SB :crazy:
Have any other SE Users got it working ?

I have done a clean install 5 times and each time its always worked with no problem. I will try and get some more diagnostics, maybe we just need to change a few Hardware ID’s to make it work with SA & SB ?

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back