Contribute
Register

[Guide] Lenovo Z50-70/Z40-70/G50-70/G40-70 using Clover UEFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my latest debug, sorry I forgot. I already ordered recommended WiFi/BT half PCIe card, until that I will wait with the edimax wifi usb dongle and miatone bluetooth dongle. Everything is working fine so far, but I think there are some possible tweaks, but at least kexts should be installed right as you said in post before. Please check.

Kexts not installed correctly.
You have duplicates in /S/L/E and /L/E.
Remove duplicates in /S/L/E... all kexts should be in /L/E.

@RehabMan
Okay...
So this has something with the /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts folder right? I have 2 kexts in folder 10.12, then few kexts in 10.13 folder and some in folder Other, so yeah, it is a mess. But as I don't wanna break something, I need to ask. Which folder shouldn't have kext in it and which should on the mentioned EFI partition? This is what these 3 folder looks like in my EFI partition for better understanding:
https://imgur.com/a/iSfHA

Or this doesn't has to do anything with S/L/E you were talking about? When I open S/L/E through the terminal with open /System/Library/Extensions - I can see lots of the kexts. Did you suggest these are duplicated? I am looking in this sea of kexts, but don't acutally see any with same name (duplicates). And if you are saying that all kexts should be in L/E, do I need to move all the kexts from S/L/E to L/E folder?

But as I don't see any duplicates in these, you probably meant the EFI partition kext folder, am I right?

@RehabMan
Okay...
So this has something with the /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts folder right? I have 2 kexts in folder 10.12, then few kexts in 10.13 folder and some in folder Other, so yeah, it is a mess. But as I don't wanna break something, I need to ask. Which folder shouldn't have kext in it and which should on the mentioned EFI partition? This is what these 3 folder looks like in my EFI partition for better understanding:
https://imgur.com/a/iSfHA

Or this doesn't has to do anything with S/L/E you were talking about? When I open S/L/E through the terminal with open /System/Library/Extensions - I can see lots of the kexts. Did you suggest these are duplicated? I am looking in this sea of kexts, but don't acutally see any with same name (duplicates). And if you are saying that all kexts should be in L/E, do I need to move all the kexts from S/L/E to L/E folder?

But as I don't see any duplicates in these, you probably meant the EFI partition kext folder, am I right?

Read post #2 of the Clover guide for details:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

Oh, I probably understand now. So the clover/kexts/others folder is used for installations/recovery interfaces, but the S/L/E (L/E) is for the normal macOS use, as native macOS. So I should put only necessary kexts (to make successfull installation/recovery) into the "others" folder if I understood correctly. What are there the folders 10.X for? If the folder "Others" is for essential kexts, the other folders with specified macOS version are needed for what?

But I am still not sure what to do with kexts in S/L/E and L/E. Should be all kexts only in L/E and not in S/L/E at all? (as you said: "Remove duplicates in /S/L/E... all kexts should be in /L/E.") Are the kexts considered as duplicates when there are same kexts in EFI/kexts as in S/L/E folder? At least that's how I understood it from the topic you linked, please correct me if I am wrong.

Oh, I probably understand now. So the clover/kexts/others folder is used for installations/recovery interfaces, but the S/L/E (L/E) is for the normal macOS use, as native macOS. So I should put only necessary kexts (to make successfull installation/recovery) into the "others" folder if I understood correctly.

It is EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other (not 'others').

What are there the folders 10.X for?

Use only if you had version specific kexts you wanted to inject (eg. were planning to use the same EFI/Clover for multiple different versions of macOS/OS X and each had different kext requirements).
Most of the time, the version specific directories are not used...

But I am still not sure what to do with kexts in S/L/E and L/E.

For 10.11 and later, kexts should be installed to /L/E, never to /S/L/E.

It is EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other (not 'others').

Use only if you had version specific kexts you wanted to inject (eg. were planning to use the same EFI/Clover for multiple different versions of macOS/OS X and each had different kext requirements).
Most of the time, the version specific directories are not used...

For 10.11 and later, kexts should be installed to /L/E, never to /S/L/E.
Sorry, my bad with misspeling the actual folder name “Other”.

Right I get it now. So when I open on my macOS 10.13.4 S/L/E folder through the terminal, I should see empty folder without any kext? Only when I open up L/E I should see all the kext what I am going to use natively on my mac?

If this is true, what should I do with all the dozens of kexts in the mentioned S/L/E folder? Just moving them to the L/E, then rebuilding cache will be enough? (I am not aware of installing them. They had to be downloaded when downloading repository from git, or natively be there from installation.)

I will read again and update.

Last edited:
I don't understand what you mean by "before the removal of the braveknight scripts". No scripts were removed. In fact, the scripts and the guide were updated. You should read the guide again.

Oops, I'm sorry, I'll edit what I wrote.

I thought the same guide was useful for High Sierra and the day I installed it, I could not configure it because apparently lacked kexts.

You actually explained to me that you were upgrading and that you could have instabilities because you were not having much time to check.

I'm sorry for the way I wrote, I did not mean to be offensive.

Last edited:
Now I am sending the problem report files.

I'm using "High Sierra."

My wifi is not working and I noticed that the backlight does not change when changing the power source, battery / charger. The backlight normally regulates on the panel and with shortcut keys. Also maintains brightness after reboot.
IOReg indicates you have AR9565 Wi-Fi card. It is expected to work with Lilu.kext+ATH9KFixup.kext+ATH9KInjector.kext unless you have outdated versions of these kexts. Make sure your kexts are all up-to-date. Since I no longer have that Wi-Fi card, I cannot test.

Other than that, everything looks OK to me. Perhaps RehabMan could take a look for you.

IOReg indicates you have AR9565 Wi-Fi card. It is expected to work with Lilu.kext+ATH9KFixup.kext+ATH9KInjector.kext unless you have outdated versions of these kexts. Make sure your kexts are all up-to-date. Since I no longer have that Wi-Fi card, I cannot test.

Other than that, everything looks OK to me. Perhaps RehabMan could take a look for you.
You have Lenovo Z50-70? May I ask you a question? When I am using trackpad on my laptop, scrolling is very laggy and was, it's really choppy and almost tottaly unusable. Scrolling with mouse on other hand

"My machine is a Z50-70 with Broadcom BCM943602BAED and SSD."

Do you still have this broadcom card? I just ordered it and as you said it should be native supported with all the kexts installed from the repository. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back