Contribute
Register

[Guide] Lenovo T430 - Yosemite

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am using the AppleHDA.kext from your original post.

Tried the DSDT you patched for me but still the same issue...

I attached the ioreg again, I can read it without any problem.

I deleted the HDAEnabler from boot.plist but I still see it loaded:

$ kextstat | grep -i HDA
47 0 0xffffff7f81899000 0x4000 0x4000 com.kext.HDAEnabler (1.0.0d1) <12 4 3>
80 2 0xffffff7f820ab000 0xf000 0xf000 com.apple.iokit.IOHDAFamily (266.5) <5 4 3 1>
81 1 0xffffff7f820be000 0x1a000 0x1a000 com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController (266.5) <80 71 12 7 6 5 4 3 1>
112 0 0xffffff7f821d0000 0xa7000 0xa7000 com.apple.driver.AppleHDA (266.5) <111 109 81 80 75 71 6 5 4 3 1>
114 0 0xffffff7f820ba000 0x2000 0x2000 com.apple.driver.AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver (266.5) <4 3>

Thanks.

The patched AppleHDA uses layout-id 28. You're injecting layout-id = 3. Not expected to work when you inject the wrong layout-id.

AppleHDA enablers should be avoided.

I started from scratch the installation of Yosemite following the guide from first post and now everything works great!!!
It seems like something was corrupted.

Thanks to kartoffelsalat_reloaded and RehabMan for your patience!!!

It is probably Lenovo branded.

If you were to collect the device-id/vendor-id/subdevice-id/subvendor-id anyone could re-brand an AR9280 (or AR9285) to match.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/115110-rebranding-atheros-928x-cards-guide.html

Note: Rebranding is easiest using Linux (refer to 'recovery guide' at above link).

Hey Kartoffelsalat, Hey Rehabman,

i've searched this thread but i can't find any information concerning the device-id/vendor-id/subdevice-id/subvendor-id of the lenovo branded artheros card (taken from the s205).

Kartoffelsalat, could you please provide the info?
The "Card Type:" value supplied in the System Information/Wifi Panel would be a great start at least,but i'll try to find more information on where to find this info easily. If you have dualboot with windows, it is visible within device manager under details / hw id's.

I've tried rebranding to 168C:002b 103c:1461 but that won't work with my t530.
I'm switching from a t420 to a t530 and i want to write a guide for this build.

Thanks for the help!

edit:

I think i found it!
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2143840
In this thread somebody has a problem with the card and the lspci output shows the id's i wanted. I'll try to rebrand the card and (hopefully) will report back my success.

edit2:

no luck yet. Still the 1802 on startup.
kartoffelsalat, could you please run
HTML:
lspci -nn -v | grep -A 3 "Atheros"
and paste the ouput?

Code:
$ lspci -nn -v | grep -A 3 "Atheros"
03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) [168c:002b] (rev 01)
    Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:30a1]
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17
    Memory at f1c00000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]

Hello guys,

My system is a Lenovo Thinkpad T530.
Following your advices I ordered the AR5B95 card listed here: link from eBay. As you can see it is also marked as Lenovo G570 and Ideapad S205 wireless card.
Unfortunately, BIOS whitelist check does NOT allow to boot my system with this WiFi card (168C/002B/17AA/30A1). Do you have any suggestions? What can I do in order to use it and achieve native Airport?
Do you think that rebranding to any other card will work or can you point me to a suitable wireless card that will hopefully pass BIOS whitelist on my notebook?

Here is a screenshot of what I get on boot:
IMG_20151111_115733.jpg

Hello guys,

My system is a Lenovo Thinkpad T530.
Following your advices I ordered the AR5B95 card listed here: link from eBay. As you can see it is also marked as Lenovo G570 and Ideapad S205 wireless card.
Unfortunately, BIOS whitelist check does NOT allow to boot my system with this WiFi card (168C/002B/17AA/30A1). Do you have any suggestions? What can I do in order to use it and achieve native Airport?
Do you think that rebranding to any other card will work or can you point me to a suitable wireless card that will hopefully pass BIOS whitelist on my notebook?

Here is a screenshot of what I get on boot:
View attachment 161798

T530 probably has a different whitelist than the T430. Refer to the service manual for valid WiFi parts.

Hello RehabMan,

Whitelist is different for sure! Here is what I found from Lenovo support pages:
T430 System service parts
T530 System service parts
However, it's not clear to me what are the exact supported devices. I don't think that these are the complete lists because I can't find even my stock wireless card included (Realtek RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter).

Another fix I can think of is updating BIOS since mine is v2.58 from 2013/12/17, but I can't find anything related to adding new wireless card entries in T530 BIOS change log. That's why I don't think it is worth loosing my current patched DSDT. As far as I know, I will have to repatch the newly generated DSDT/SSDT after each BIOS update...

It will be nice if somebody can advise me for an adequate solution/workaround for rebranding my AR5B95 or point me to a workable WiFi card that is tested on Thinkpad T530. I will order a new one immediately...

Hello RehabMan,

Whitelist is different for sure! Here is what I found from Lenovo support pages:
T430 System service parts
T530 System service parts
However, it's not clear to me what are the exact supported devices. I don't think that these are the complete lists because I can't find even my stock wireless card included (Realtek RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter).

You will need more detailed information (eg. actual device/vendor/sub-device/sub-vendor).

Another fix I can think of is updating BIOS since mine is v2.58 from 2013/12/17, but I can't find anything related to adding new wireless card entries in T530 BIOS change log. That's why I don't think it is worth loosing my current patched DSDT. As far as I know, I will have to repatch the newly generated DSDT/SSDT after each BIOS update...

If you kept proper notes on ACPI patching, re-patch is easy.

@Rehabman: Unfortunately, updating BIOS to latest official v2.65 didn't solve the whitelist issues with my Atheros AR5B95 WiFi card, although it is Lenovo branded. Also, I didn't re-patch DSDT/SSDT. At that time everything seems to work properly with my old ones. I wonder if it is necessary to re-patch again?

My last hope is hardware flashing of modified BIOS with
removed WiFi card whitelist check. As far as I know there are people who already did it successfully on Thinkpad T530. The modified file is also available. I haven't decided if it is worth ordering USB HW programmer and SOIC8 clip and trying to flash it by myself as it doesn't seem to be very difficult job if it can be done using this clip and without unsoldering the chip from mainboard. Another option is to bring it to a PC service where somebody experienced in BIOS flashing can do the job.

@tpmac7: Did you succeeded in flashing the modified BIOS? I'm curious because I saw your thread in bios-mods forum and you are also working on T530.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back