Contribute
Register

[Guide] Lenovo Legion y530-y540 Laptop on Catalina 10.15

Hi guys, I'm going to buy y540 for Hackintosh. Is there any difference for Catalina if I buy 1660ti or RTX 2060? I know that both won't work but is there any other difference that can cause more issues with any of these?
If money isn't an issue than RTX 2060 recommended for future-proofing if you decided to go back to dual-booting and all. I would recommend to get a higher CPU like i7 and get a lower graphics card if you strictly planning on running macOS. best about a legion laptop is the interchangeable parts of SSD, memory and wifi cards also to have NVME with SSD as a secondary backup, which I did on mine. best to buy with a normal mechanical hard drive or lower SSD then change it later with NVME for speed and use either mechanical or SSD for secondary drive.

Last edited:
It's going to be i7-9750H, 32GB RAM, nvme 500GB for osx and SSD 2TB for Windows. Osx is mostly for Android Studio, Unity and other development tools. Windows mostly for occasional gaming.
Difference in price between 1660ti and 2060 in my country is about $180 usd. That's why I',m thinking about 1660ti, because I don't think it's worth paying more for couple of fps more in games. If there's any issue with installing 1660ti on osx or any chance that 2060 would get drivers for osx, I would pay the difference.

I got my new Y540 here, but with a 512G Micron OEM ssd. It seems I will have kernel panic unless I block it with the SSDT-DNVMe.aml. It's not a PM981/PM981a, so is there any possibility that I can install Mac on this ssd?

Kernel Panic Details:
panic (cpu 4 caller 0xffffff7f8ac5f477): nvme: "Fatal error occurred. CSTS=0x1 US[1]=0x0 VID=0x1344 DID=0x5410
. FW Revision not available\n"@/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/IONVMeFamily/IONVMeFamily-470.40.4/IONVMeController.capp:5264

I got my new Y540 here, but with a 512G Micron OEM ssd. It seems I will have kernel panic unless I block it with the SSDT-DNVMe.aml. It's not a PM981/PM981a, so is there any possibility that I can install Mac on this ssd?

Kernel Panic Details:
panic (cpu 4 caller 0xffffff7f8ac5f477): nvme: "Fatal error occurred. CSTS=0x1 US[1]=0x0 VID=0x1344 DID=0x5410
. FW Revision not available\n"@/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/IONVMeFamily/IONVMeFamily-470.40.4/IONVMeController.capp:5264
please read the faq for proper hardware profile setup:

@xiaoM4095 do you have a new method or drivers to get numpad working using efi 3.0.1?

It's going to be i7-9750H, 32GB RAM, nvme 500GB for osx and SSD 2TB for Windows. Osx is mostly for Android Studio, Unity and other development tools. Windows mostly for occasional gaming.
Difference in price between 1660ti and 2060 in my country is about $180 usd. That's why I',m thinking about 1660ti, because I don't think it's worth paying more for couple of fps more in games. If there's any issue with installing 1660ti on osx or any chance that 2060 would get drivers for osx, I would pay the difference.
Those specs sounds awesome and yea stick with 1660ti cause if it was AMD cards then higher One would actually makes the difference and would blend nicely on both world of macOS and windows, since legion don’t have the AMD cards then stick with 1660ti. Make sure the NVME is Samsung one if there is choice cause it will go nicely Hackintosh process, I would create some backup partition on that 2tb for macOS but if you got external drive then leave it as it is. Just heads up and I’m sure you know by now 1660yi will be disable on macOS so 1660 will only shine on windows ONLY, make sure you got bios setup correctly especially on “secure” and graphics tab in bios carefully second look to it, and rest “may the force be with you then..”

Read post #1 .txt file attached
Screenshot 2020-01-05 at 8.37.07 PM.png

is it normal to have this kind of feedback? Is it working?

Just want to say thank you @xiaoM4095 for sharing your EFI and scripts, everything works almost 100% on my Y530. The touchpad right-click hardware button doesn't work but I actually don't need it as I set left-click as 1-finger tap, right-click as 2-finger tap and enabled dragging in Accessibility->Pointer Control->Trackpad options. WIFI/Bluetooth (genuine DW1560) works with supplied kexts in L/E. The only slight problem I have is with Airdrop - receiving files from iOS works great but sending files to iOS does not work. I have another USB-C to DP cable on the way, will report back if I get lucky.
Screen Shot 2020-01-06 at 00.38.42.png

Kernel Panic Details:
Unfortunately, Micron OEM ssd cannot be used to install OSX, this is a hardware incompatibility.

Just want to say thank you @xiaoM4095 for sharing your EFI and scripts, everything works almost 100% on my Y530. The touchpad right-click hardware button doesn't work but I actually don't need it as I set left-click as 1-finger tap, right-click as 2-finger tap and enabled dragging in Accessibility->Pointer Control->Trackpad options. WIFI/Bluetooth (genuine DW1560) works with supplied kexts in L/E. The only slight problem I have is with Airdrop - receiving files from iOS works great but sending files to iOS does not work. I have another USB-C to DP cable on the way, will report back if I get lucky.View attachment 443754
Looking forward to your test results.

Back