Contribute
Register

[Guide] Lenovo Ideapad S340 Laptop on Catalina

I have the same black screen problem for about 1 to 2 minutes but I can say that it is a problem at the backlight level because I was close to a good light source and I saw the desktop but no backlighting just after 1 to 2 minutes. light up i have the s340 i5 with functional touch screen and hd 620

Last edited:
I have the same black screen problem for about 1 to 2 minutes but I can say that it is a problem at the backlight level because I was close to a good light source and I saw the desktop but no backlighting just after 1 to 2 minutes. light up i have the s340 i5 with functional touch screen and hd 620
please update your hardware profile to allow others to help you easier

please read the faq for proper hardware profile setup:

Not yet. I've postponed any EFI uploads until I get the "blank screen on boot" issue resolved. Looking at the logs, I can tell that it's actually macOS stalling during the boot process. Oddly enough, the problem isn't present when booting into Windows first and then rebooting into macOS. I'm also getting an unresponsive (builtin) keyboard during BIOS or OpenCore menu (although, a USB keyboard works fine for both). I wonder if there's a Quirk needed for this laptop??
Confirm. Builtin keyboard and touchpad won't work during first boot, so default boot option (Windows for me) boots first. After reboot, keyboard starts working again. But blank screen issue persists even after windows boot and reboot.
I don't think that macOS is stalling during blank screen cause I can type my login password and login during blank screen. I realized it because I had some youtube video running during last reboot, so I could successfully login and heard that youtube video playing while the screen was off.
I tried device-id 9B3E0000 and ig-platform-id 00009B3E because my CPU is i5 8265 with UHD 620 but it did not help.

I don't think that macOS is stalling during blank screen cause I can type my login password and login during blank screen. I realized it because I had some youtube video running during last reboot, so I could successfully login and heard that youtube video playing while the screen was off.
I tried device-id 9B3E0000 and ig-platform-id 00009B3E because my CPU is i5 8265 with UHD 620 but it did not help.
Wow! It does seem to be a backlight issue. I used a bright light to shine onto the laptop screen/panel, during the blackout period, and I could actually see the login screen.

SOLVED: Add -igfxblr to boot-args (in OpenCore's NVRAM section)

Last edited:
Confirm. Builtin keyboard and touchpad won't work during first boot, so default boot option (Windows for me) boots first. After reboot, keyboard starts working again.
I've read that others (on different laptop computers) are having the same issue. It's apparently an issue with the VoodooPS2Controller kext together with macOS Monterey.
Using a USB keyboard during boot, UEFI (BIOS), OpenCore picker is a workaround... then unplug after booting up.

UPDATE: The issue is not present with macOS Catalina and this laptop.

Last edited:
to solve the black screen problem at startup, I rather added to boot-arg -igfxbls and it's ok after
thank you for directing me to the solution

Latest (clean) EFI. All seems to be working very well. Fill in your own Serial, UUID, MLB numbers.

Attachments

• EFI_Jan4-2022.zip
    10.9 MB · Views: 102
to edit opencore try oc auxiliary tools it fixes the automatic startup error when opening opencore

Latest (clean) EFI. All seems to be working very well. Fill in your own Serial, UUID, MLB numbers.
Hi curtistn. Thanks for this, working great!
One thing though. In System Prefs > Battery, I don't have an unlock, and when I change the slider to adjust time to turn off screen, it doesn't persist. Same with Adapter settings too. Are you guys seeing the same thing?

try to reset nvram at boot

Back