Contribute
Register

[Guide] Laptop backlight control using AppleBacklightFixup.kext

FakeSMC.kext should be installed to /L/E as should all the kexts you only need, ie you only need 1 ethernet kext and i don't think you need NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
L/e or s/l/e?
no they go into /L/E
Okay. So everything I have in clover/kexts/other should be in l/e? Even my patched application hda?

Thanks , sir. I'll try this tomorrow. All I have to do is install to s/l/e, correct?

Your question regarding kext location is answered in the FAQ.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Hint: /S/L/E is wrong.

L/e or s/l/e?

Okay. So everything I have in clover/kexts/other should be in l/e? Even my patched application hda?

If by "application hda" you mean patched AppleHDA.kext, patched kexts that are obviously intended to replace system kexts in /S/L/E, must be placed in /S/L/E, otherwise it would not be much of a replacement.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

If by "application hda" you mean patched AppleHDA.kext, patched kexts that are obviously intended to replace system kexts in /S/L/E, must be placed in /S/L/E, otherwise it would not be much of a replacement.

Thanks for the replies and direction. I'll install necessary kexts to system and then try again. Curiously, I did install the backlight injector kext per your instructions using terminal. Is it giving those errors because the other kexts are not installed to system? Put another way, is backlight injector dependent on the kexts that are in my clover>kexts>other folder?

Edit: I read "Installing Kexts" from the post you linked and it is a lot clearer to me now. I'll shut up and get to work.

Update:
Brightness an everything works now that Installed all kexts from clover>kexts>others to l/e.

Who would've thought? haha. Thanks so much for the guidance and patience , sirs!

update: I just need to get brightness controls working on keyboard now. It used to be shift + f2/f3 on my Sierra install but doesn't work on Mojave.

Update: got brightness control on keyboard working by using appleps2 controller kext instead of voodoo. Sucks ,because voodoo correctly mapped the "alt gr" key on my French keyboard but wouldn't allow for f2/f3 to control brightness no matter what I tried. With apple ps2, its simply shift plus f2/f3.

Last edited:
Update: got brightness control on keyboard working by using appleps2 controller kext instead of voodoo. Sucks ,because voodoo correctly mapped the "alt gr" key on my French keyboard but wouldn't allow for f2/f3 to control brightness no matter what I tried. With apple ps2, its simply shift plus f2/f3.

Patching for brightness keys is covered in the guide clearly linked from post #1.

Well, shoot. After some reboots here and there , I get this error in verbose "applebacklight control: didn't find dpmicro". (See photo)

Sometimes my.brightness control slider works and sometimes it doesn't. What route can I take to fix this or is this to be expected as Mojave is still beta?

Attachments

• IMG_20180713_133238.jpg
    IMG_20180713_133238.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 110
Well, shoot. After some reboots here and there , I get this error in verbose "applebacklight control: didn't find dpmicro". (See photo)

Sometimes my.brightness control slider works and sometimes it doesn't. What route can I take to fix this or is this to be expected as Mojave is still beta?

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
Use the gen_debug.sh tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.

After High Sierra 10.13.6 update from Sierra 10.12.6 my brightness control is still functional but screen slider doesn't display anymore.

Attachments

• debug_959.zip
    673.7 KB · Views: 138
Back