Contribute
Register

[Guide] Laptop backlight control using AppleBacklightFixup.kext

After High Sierra 10.13.6 update from Sierra 10.12.6 my brightness control is still functional but screen slider doesn't display anymore.

EFI/Clover is missing. Please read "problem reporting" again. Carefully.
According to ioreg, you should see the slider in SysPrefs->Displays.

I meant while I was pressing brightness keys I could see increasment bar on screen. I see slider in SysPrefs->Displays but brightness control keys don't work.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    5.3 MB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Just found out that I can increase my brightness up with fn+b and decrease brightness down with fn+s. Is there a way to switch it back to original brightness control keys like it was before update?

Last edited:
I meant while I was pressing brightness keys I could see increasment bar on screen. I see slider in SysPrefs->Displays but brightness control keys don't work.

Does the slider in SysPrefs->Displays work for adjusting brightness?

Just found out that I can increase my brightness up with fn+b and decrease brightness down with fn+s. Is there a way to switch it back to original brightness control keys like it was before update?

Are you seeing the native macOS on-screen display for brightness status ("brightness sun") when you press those keys?

Does the slider in SysPrefs->Displays work for adjusting brightness?
Yes slider works fine

Are you seeing the native macOS on-screen display for brightness status ("brightness sun") when you press those keys?
Yes but only when I press fn+b or fn+s. It doesn't work with native dell brightness control keys. Do I need "OS check fix"?

Yes but only when I press fn+b or fn+s. It doesn't work with native dell brightness control keys. Do I need "OS check fix"?

Usually, you will need to spoof a version of Windows for the brightness keys to work.
Best/effective way is with OSID->XSID, _OSI->XOSI, SSDT-XOSI.aml (as mentioned in ACPI hotpatch guide).
Most Dell's need BRT6 patch as mentioned in the brightness key guide.

Usually, you will need to spoof a version of Windows for the brightness keys to work.
Best/effective way is with OSID->XSID, _OSI->XOSI, SSDT-XOSI.aml (as mentioned in ACPI hotpatch guide).
Most Dell's need BRT6 patch as mentioned in the brightness key guide.
It worked :clap: . Brightness control keys are working now. Thank you very much my friend!

I use Asus GL553 VD. I has patch DSDT to use Fn key. And I use kext AsusNBFnKey.kext in Other folder on Clover. So My function key (f3,f4,f5,f6,...) still not working. What can I do to make my function key working ?

Attachments

• DSDT (1).aml
    187.9 KB · Views: 156
  • FnKeys as Function Keys Patch.txt
    1.9 KB · Views: 162
  • KeyboardBacklight Patch.txt
    2.3 KB · Views: 123
I use Asus GL553 VD. I has patch DSDT to use Fn key. And I use kext AsusNBFnKey.kext in Other folder on Clover. So My function key (f3,f4,f5,f6,...) still not working. What can I do to make my function key working ?

The backlight key guide is linked from post #1.
It does not use AsusNBFnKey.kext.

Back