Contribute
Register

[Guide] Laptop backlight control using AppleBacklightFixup.kext

I mean keys working sir but internal display no dimm&bright

Hi, I have the Dell Precision 7520 now working nearly flawless, but I have an oddity with the Backlight that I can't explain.

After booting the system brightness doesn't work properly, it can only go "slightly brighter" and gets stuck. After the slider goes under say 20% the screen starts flickering and goes black under maybe 10%. Alright, no good.

After I put the system through a sleep/wake cycle, the screen brightness wakes up correctly and brightness-adjusting is actually correctly implemented, except that the darkest value is still full black.

Can you help me find out why it doesn't work in normal conditions, but only after sleep? Can you hint me where to look to change the full-black lowest value?

I have AppleBacklightInjector.kext in LE, SSDT-PNLF in ACPI/Patched, and the Clover patch in place. After sleep brightness sliding with both Displays and Bergdesign's app work; they override each other when used after each other.

As far as I can tell my DSDT only has one PNLF defintion, and SSDT-1 (in Clover) refers to GFX0, which is also Clover patched to IGPU. IOReg shows no GFX0, only IGPU.

Very curious wherein this lies :)

Attachments

• Patchmatic.zip
    76.6 KB · Views: 61
  • ioreg.zip
    700.9 KB · Views: 59
  • CLOVER.zip
    3.2 MB · Views: 71
  • Terminal Saved Output.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Hi, I have the Dell Precision 7520 now working nearly flawless, but I have an oddity with the Backlight that I can't explain.

After booting the system brightness doesn't work properly, it can only go "slightly brighter" and gets stuck. After the slider goes under say 20% the screen starts flickering and goes black under maybe 10%. Alright, no good.

After I put the system through a sleep/wake cycle, the screen brightness wakes up correctly and brightness-adjusting is actually correctly implemented, except that the darkest value is still full black.

Can you help me find out why it doesn't work in normal conditions, but only after sleep? Can you hint me where to look to change the full-black lowest value?

I have ACPIBacklight.kext in SLE, SSDT-PNLF in ACPI/Patched, and the Clover patch in place. After sleep brightness sliding with both Displays and Bergdesign's app work; they override each other when used after each other.

As far as I can tell my DSDT only has one PNLF defintion, and SSDT-1 (in Clover) refers to GFX0, which is also Clover patched to IGPU. IOReg shows no GFX0, only IGPU.

all kexts should be installed to system (including fakesmc) only essential kexts in clover/kexts/other (fakesmc, voodoops2controller and an ethernet)

I followed the guide.
1. removed PNLF in my DSDT and SSDT
2. I change GFX0 from DSDT and SSDT to IGPU
3. install applebacklightinjector.kext by Kext Wizard and deleted AppleBacklight and ACPIbacklight.kext
4. add patch in clover
5. coppy ssdt.pnlf to patched
but it seem not worked. can u check my clover file if it had some errors?

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    5.1 MB · Views: 57
I followed the guide.
3. install applebacklightinjector.kext by Kext Wizard and deleted AppleBacklight and ACPIbacklight.kext
4. add patch in clover
why did you delete AppleBacklight ?

I have ACPIBacklight.kext in SLE, SSDT-PNLF in ACPI/Patched, and the Clover patch in place. After sleep brightness sliding with both Displays and Bergdesign's app work; they override each other when used after each other.

This guide does not use ACPIBacklight.kext. Please read post #1.

I followed the guide.
4. add patch in clover

This guide does not use ACPIBacklight.kext. Read post #1.
You will need to restore AppleBacklight.kext (use the macOS installer).

This guide does not use ACPIBacklight.kext. Read post #1.
You will need to restore AppleBacklight.kext (use the macOS installer).
i deleted ACPIBacklight.kext and put AppleBacklight.kext back. But it backlight not work, and my fan speed faster only

why did you delete AppleBacklight ?
Thank. I put AppleBacklight.kext back. But only my fan spin in fastest mode and cant make it slower. Backlight still not working

Back