Contribute
Register

[Guide] Laptop backlight control using AppleBacklightFixup.kext

I am not wrong.You did not try what I suggested.
And I checked everything.

Your issue is you don't understand how Clover works.
I clarified what I want you to try in post #378.

Key to understanding Clover's ProductID feature: config.plist/Graphics/Inject/EDID/ProductID *IS IGNORED* if you use config.plist/Graphics/CustomEDID or config.plist/Graphics/EDID/Custom. Hint: I read the Clover source code to understand this important fact.

RehabMan, you don't read what I say or most probably my English is not enough to express myself. I am sorry but I am not a native speaker. I will try to repeat again.

- CustomEDID is necessary for me. Without it I can't boot. This is a fact. That is how this laptop works. How many times should I say this. I tried what you said

config.plist/Graphics/Inject/Intel=true
config.plist/Graphics/Inject/EDID/Inject=true
config.plist/Graphics/Inject/EDID/ProductID=0x9c7c

Doesn't work for me. I tried 4 times. I even tried ProductID with String or with Int both with Xcode as I said on #377

- If I use CustomEDID, ProductID can't be injected with Clover. Hint: I also said this in my previous post without reading source code.
- Without correct ProductID macOS doesn't select the correct profile or doesn't have working brigthness keys. This is also mentioned in post #377

For people like me who has CustomEDID, EDID patch is a must. Because there is no other way to inject product ID and have a working brightness. That is all I am saying.

Hi, I've followed guide, at first it didn't work. Then I tried Clover hotpatch for GFX0 -> IGPU, after 2 restarts (2nd one for rebuilding cache) it worked. However, it always starts with Full Brightness, no matter what I set before restarting/shutting down with the slider in display prefs. I looked up it a bit, and saw Rehabman's statement about forgetting RC Scripts when installing Clover, I checked the location and I have the file "/etc/rc.shutdown.d/80.save_nvram_plist.local".

Any idea about the issue?
My brightness keys are not functioning too. I have Elan beta driver for touchpad.

Thanks

Ps: It's the same file attached that I collected for Native Power Management issue.

Attachments

• Problem Report Native PM AEs MBP.zip
    4.9 MB · Views: 95
RehabMan, you don't read what I say or most probably my English is not enough to express myself. I am sorry but I am not a native speaker. I will try to repeat again.

- CustomEDID is necessary for me. Without it I can't boot. This is a fact. That is how this laptop works. How many times should I say this. I tried what you said

Doesn't work for me. I tried 4 times. I even tried ProductID with String or with Int both with Xcode as I said on #377

- If I use CustomEDID, ProductID can't be injected with Clover. Hint: I also said this in my previous post without reading source code.
- Without correct ProductID macOS doesn't select the correct profile or doesn't have working brigthness keys. This is also mentioned in post #377

For people like me who has CustomEDID, EDID patch is a must. Because there is no other way to inject product ID and have a working brightness. That is all I am saying.

You didn't read my edit in last post, but let's get to the point...

What is the native EDID detected by Clover?
How is it different than the one you're specifying (other than the product id)?
(you must boot without any specified custom EDID to get this info)
Use an external monitor or remote desktop to collect it from your Clover bootlog.

So far, what we know:
- some displays may require a patched display-id in EDID
- you can use a bogus display-id such as 0x1111, same result as using an Apple id such as 0x9c7c
- if Clover cannot detect your EDID, you will need to patch the EDID you provide in Graphics/EDID/Custom or Graphics/Inject/CustomEDID
- in theory, you would already know Clover could not detect your EDID as you would have needed to provide the bits in order to boot with the internal display working
- my guess is that is rare, and that most people never try Clover EDID detection + injection, and jump strait to a custom EDID
- if you can use Clover EDID auto detection, config.plist/Graphics/EDID/Inject=true, and config.plist/Graphics/EDID/ProductID=0x1111 is a workable solution and easy to apply.
- if you can't use Clover EDID auto detection, you must then patch the product-id inside the EDID (repeat of above...)
- it is a good idea to update the checksum, although my experience is the macOS/OS X doesn't check it

Last edited:
Hi, I've followed guide, at first it didn't work. Then I tried Clover hotpatch for GFX0 -> IGPU, after 2 restarts (2nd one for rebuilding cache) it worked. However, it always starts with Full Brightness, no matter what I set before restarting/shutting down with the slider in display prefs. I looked up it a bit, and saw Rehabman's statement about forgetting RC Scripts when installing Clover, I checked the location and I have the file "/etc/rc.shutdown.d/80.save_nvram_plist.local".

Any idea about the issue?
My brightness keys are not functioning too. I have Elan beta driver for touchpad.

Thanks

Ps: It's the same file attached that I collected for Native Power Management issue.

It is likely you need EmuVariableUefi-64.efi due to native NVRAM not working.
It is missing from drivers64UEFI.

You didn't read my edit in last post, but let's get to the point...

What is the native EDID detected by Clover?
How is it different than the one you're specifying (other than the product id)?
(you must boot without any specified custom EDID to get this info)
Use an external monitor or remote desktop to collect it from your Clover bootlog.

Clover can't inject EDID. When I select just Inject Edid= yes, during boot screen I see low resolution which is a indication that Clover can't inject EDID without CustomEDID. After boot completes, I can't see the desktop. It just doesn't work.
Btw I also tried to use

like you said.

also tried
config.plist/Graphics/EDID/Inject=true
config.plist/Graphics/EDID/ProductID=0x9c7c

as in stated in /cloverefiboot-code-4059/CloverPackage/CloverV2/EFI/CLOVER sample.config.plist

Both of them doesn't work. Clover can't inject EDID without CustomEDID. That is reality as I said multiple times. I don't know maybe that is bug of clover or bug of this computer. I really don't know. All I know is

Laptop only boots with CustomEDID.

- If real EDID extracted from Linux and Windows(Sony Native one) --> Brightness Keys not working
- If patched EDID with Apple product id --> Brightness keys are working.

Clover can't inject EDID. When I select just Inject Edid= yes, during boot screen I see low resolution which is a indication that Clover can't inject EDID without CustomEDID. After boot completes, I can't see the desktop. It just doesn't work.

Please attach your Clover bootlog in that scenario.
I want to see what is there regarding auto EDID detect that Clover is doing.
Also attach config.plist.

Btw I also tried to use

like you said.

also tried
config.plist/Graphics/EDID/Inject=true
config.plist/Graphics/EDID/ProductID=0x9c7c

as in stated in /cloverefiboot-code-4059/CloverPackage/CloverV2/EFI/CLOVER sample.config.plist

According to Settings.c in Clover, the correct path for the new EDID settings are in fact at config.plist/Graphics/EDID, not config.plist/Graphics/Inject/EDID.

Pardon me for the typo.

Both of them doesn't work. Clover can't inject EDID without CustomEDID. That is reality as I said multiple times. I don't know maybe that is bug of clover or bug of this computer. I really don't know.

Read above... let's see if we can get to the bottom of it.

- If real EDID extracted from Linux and Windows(Sony Native one) --> Brightness Keys not working
- If patched EDID with Apple product id --> Brightness keys are working.

Understood (as written in #383).

I think your case is rare... and not 100% explained, due to lack of information from your computer (Clover bootlog) regarding Clover auto EDID detect.

If you could provide the files requested, that would be great...

Finally we have found some common grounds. I am really tired. Could you tell how can I save Clover bootlog. What is the setting should I choose?

Finally we have found some common grounds. I am really tired. Could you tell how can I save Clover bootlog. What is the setting should I choose?

You use bdmesg from Terminal:
Code:
bdmesg >~/Desktop/clover_bootlog.txt

Note: bdmesg is installed by the Clover installer.

Note: This would have been much easier if you had simply stated "Clover is not able to detect the EDID of the internal display properly".

Last edited:
It is likely you need EmuVariableUefi-64.efi due to native NVRAM not working.
It is missing from drivers64UEFI.
I just installed, restarted, didn't work. Rebuilt caches and permissions with Kext Wizard, restarted again, still, Full 100% Brightness when the OS booted.

What else should I look into?

I just installed, restarted, didn't work. Rebuilt caches and permissions with Kext Wizard, restarted again, still, Full 100% Brightness when the OS booted.

What else should I look into?

Make sure you installed current "RC scripts".

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.

Back