Contribute
Register

[Guide] Laptop backlight control using AppleBacklightFixup.kext

I tried BKLT,3 which brought me back to the problem. However BKLT,5 fixed the problem too. So I need bit2 to be set. I'm however not really sure what changes it makes and I'm curious about it.
@RehabMan Thank you again! If you have time, could you explain the stuff behind GRAN please?

Read the comments in SSDT-PNLF.dsl.

Hi Rehabman,

Maybe you can give me some idea what to do. I am on Mojave
I implemented backlight control but brightness work only after long wake from sleep
but after booting or rebooting my screen goes black, before wake from sleep it was booting fine. To get screen back I close laptop's lid and wait. After that press the power key some time and my login screen is back.

discrete graphics is Disabling
DVMT-prealloc to 64mb - CSM on - hibernatemode 0

I try several combinations but stay the same.

AptioMemoryFix.efi. without EmuVariableUefi-64.efi No change

change to MacBookPro11,1 No change

Using platformID 0x59160000 or 0x591b0000 + Inject EDID Screen Flickering but No change
Using platformID 0x591b0006 + Inject EDID - HDMI not working but no Screen Flickering but brightness no change

What can cause this? Any ideas? I attached problem reporting files.

You did not patch correctly for disabling the discrete GPU. You have EC references in HGOF (called from _OFF) that you did not move to _REG.
Read the guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-disabling-discrete-graphics-in-dual-gpu-laptops.163772/

If, after patching properly, you have the same issue, refer to recent discussion in this thread regarding options that can be enabled for backlight init with RMCF.BKLT.

Thank you i will correct the patch and train again.

@RehabMan how could I find out where my IGPU will be defined? And how can I change the loading order of the .aml files?

@RehabMan how could I find out where my IGPU will be defined?

If you use a guide plist, your IGPU will already be renamed appropriately for SSDT-PNLF.aml.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

And how can I change the loading order of the .aml files?

You should not be using SortedOrder (it is not needed with AutoMerge=true, which is default in all guide plists).

The comments regarding SortedOrder and lack of renames for IGPU are more for those people that have already gotten off-track or failed to read any of the guides in this forum. Hopefully, you're not one of those...

@RehabMan Well, I'm not one of those. I have red everything very carefully. I copied your backlight ssdt and loaded the kext but I can not control my brightness in the settings. I just patched my dsdt for i2c support

@RehabMan Well, I'm not one of those. I have red everything very carefully. I copied your backlight ssdt and loaded the kext but I can not control my brightness in the settings. I just patched my dsdt for i2c support

Evidently you have not read everything...
No problem reporting files attached... read post #1, "Problem Reporting".

Well, you're right. Here it is @RehabMan

Attachments

• debug_8041.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 70
you can see from your kextcache output:

Code:
Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7f826fef9350 [0x7fff945fd8e0]> { URL = "AppleBacklightFixup.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "com.hieplpvip.AppleBacklightFixup" }
AppleBacklightFixup.kext - dependency 'as.vit9696.Lilu' not found.
Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7f826dfa33d0 [0x7fff945fd8e0]> { URL = "AppleBacklightFixup.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "com.hieplpvip.AppleBacklightFixup" }
AppleBacklightFixup.kext - dependency 'as.vit9696.Lilu' not found.
AppleBacklightFixup.kext is missing dependencies (including anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)
Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7f826dd0a580 [0x7fff945fd8e0]> { URL = "ACPIBatteryManager.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "org.rehabman.driver.AppleSmartBatteryManager" }
KernelCache ID: ED7DA54C01CE44D34779BDC3F3DB4214
Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fb350011150 [0x7fff945fd8e0]> { URL = "ACPIBatteryManager.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "org.rehabman.driver.AppleSmartBatteryManager" }
Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fb35042e480 [0x7fff945fd8e0]> { URL = "AppleBacklightFixup.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "com.hieplpvip.AppleBacklightFixup" }
Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fb351917160 [0x7fff945fd8e0]> { URL = "AppleBacklightFixup.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "com.hieplpvip.AppleBacklightFixup" }

you have issues

all kexts you need should be installed to /Library/Extensions, yes, that includes FakeSMC with all your other kexts

As per post #1, AppleBacklightFixup.kext requires Lilu.kext.
All kexts you need should be installed to /L/E, config.plist/SystemParameters/InjectKexts="Detect"

Back