Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel Skylake NUC6 (and Skull Canyon) using Clover UEFI (NUC6i5SYK, NUC6i7KYK, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi RehabMan,
Thanks for your guide!
I am using my Skull Canyon build following your guide since a month ago with dual 4K:3840x2160@60Hz (HDMI + DP).
Last week I upgraded from 16GB (2*Crucial CT8G4SFD8213) to 32GB of Ram (2*Crucial CT16G4SFD8213).
Since upgrading the RAM I have random screen blinking / blacking / flickering.
Any Idea what could be the reason? I already tested a lot of different cables (currently I am using a 50cm HDMI https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DI8A0KG/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
and a 1m Lindy 41551 mini DP to DP)
Thanks in advance for some ideas.

Hi RehabMan,
Thanks for your guide!
I am using my Skull Canyon build following your guide since a month ago with dual 4K:3840x2160@60Hz (HDMI + DP).
Last week I upgraded from 16GB (2*Crucial CT8G4SFD8213) to 32GB of Ram (2*Crucial CT16G4SFD8213).
Since upgrading the RAM I have random screen blinking / blacking / flickering.
Any Idea what could be the reason? I already tested a lot of different cables (currently I am using a 50cm HDMI https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DI8A0KG/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
and a 1m Lindy 41551 mini DP to DP)
Thanks in advance for some ideas.

Probably a compatibility issue with that RAM.
The NUC IGPU is very sensitive to RAM/timing/etc.
I don't see the RAM modules you mention on the compatibility list:
http://compatibleproducts.intel.com...ype=Kits&productName=Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i7KYK
(the 2x8GB CT8G4SFD8213 is there, but not the 2x16GB CT16G4SFD8213)

Probably a compatibility issue with that RAM.
The NUC IGPU is very sensitive to RAM/timing/etc.
I don't see the RAM modules you mention on the compatibility list:
http://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails/ExportPeripheralInfo?moduleName=Intel® NUC&productType=Kits&productName=Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i7KYK
(the 2x8GB CT8G4SFD8213 is there, but not the 2x16GB CT16G4SFD8213)

Ok, I'll try to get the RAM replaced, since in the official list there is no Intel validated 32GB KIT I'll to the CMTL site intel is linking to find compatible KIT, that I can use.

Hi RehabMan

Thanks very much for your guides. I have been using Sierra 12.5 on my NUC6i7KYK skull canyon happily for the past several months, but decided to upgrade to High Sierra 13.1 using the upgrade part of this guide. I followed your instructions to a T, and it upgraded apparently successfully (I started the installer with startoninstall so as to not convert to apfs). It booted for the first time into the login screen, but I didn’t have access to any of my USB peripherals (KB and mouse). I restarted it a few times, but now it is giving me an error which I can’t get past for the life of me - Mach-0 has bad magic number 0x0, Error loading kernel cache (0x1), boot failed. Unfortunately I can’t provide the problem reporting files as I no longer have access to the file system, but I assure you it was the skull canyon config.plist with my own SMBIOS. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Edit: scratch that, I finally managed to boot into the install with the help of a clover usb boot stick. It turns out my USB hubs are not working, but that's a small issue that I will look into later - everything else seems OK. Thanks again Rehab for a tremendous guide.

Last edited:
In preparation to upgrading to High Sierra I followed the steps in the major update section to update from repository. After updating and restarting the sound output via displayport and HDMI are no longer working. The only output option is through Headphones which I have confirmed as working. I'd like to get this resolved before upgrading. Problem files are attached. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• Rehabman Files 12-22-2017.zip
    9.3 MB · Views: 145
In preparation to upgrading to High Sierra I followed the steps in the major update section to update from repository. After updating and restarting the sound output via displayport and HDMI are no longer working. The only output option is through Headphones which I have confirmed as working. I'd like to get this resolved before upgrading. Problem files are attached. Thanks for the help.

Resolved - I had not updated to the newest config.plist. Replaced it and rebooted and it is working now. Thanks.

is there anyone can upgrade to 10.13.2?

Upgraded from 10.12.x to 10.13.2 with APFS. Everything went great except I do not have sound. It is disabled in the bar at the top and no output options for either headphone jack or displayport/HDMI. I tried the following steps as outlined without success.
Code (Text):
cd ~/Projects/nuc.git
./pre-patch_hda.sh

I tried to boot without caches but do not have that option in Clover.

Problem files are attached. When trying to run command "patchmatic -extract" I got "command not found". Terminal output is included with the kext stat output.

All help is greatly appreciated.

********UPDATE*********
GRRR.....reread everything. Found this instruction in the upgrades section above the High Sierra. Ran it and now audio works!

Audio will be broken after installation (*.zml.zlib have been removed), so you will need to fix that with install_downloads.sh.
After updating, run ./install_downloads.sh again

Attachments

• Rehabman files 12-27-2017.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Upgraded from 10.12.x to 10.13.2 with APFS. Everything went great except I do not have sound. It is disabled in the bar at the top and no output options for either headphone jack or displayport/HDMI. I tried the following steps as outlined without success.
Code (Text):
cd ~/Projects/nuc.git
./pre-patch_hda.sh

I tried to boot without caches but do not have that option in Clover.

Problem files are attached. When trying to run command "patchmatic -extract" I got "command not found". Terminal output is included with the kext stat output.

All help is greatly appreciated.

********UPDATE*********
GRRR.....reread everything. Found this instruction in the upgrades section above the High Sierra. Ran it and now audio works!

Audio will be broken after installation (*.zml.zlib have been removed), so you will need to fix that with install_downloads.sh.
After updating, run ./install_downloads.sh again

Note that boot without caches *is* available with the RehabMan build of Clover.
My build of Clover is recommended by the guide...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back