Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

I'll have to pay more attention to it, I just uploaded 8.4 and 8.5 to page 89 if you are interested. I'd suggest clearing the NVRAM after updating.
Currently running Ventura (latest public beta) under Leesureone's OC 0.8.3 EFI. Did a fresh install to a clean partition, all working well on initial boot. However, have noticed some weird power management issues - since there are a couple of folks here running Ventura thought I'd ask if anyone else has run into these:

1) After waking from sleep a series of apps don't respond and freeze (Safari, App Store). After a clean boot they work normally
2) Sometimes the NUC doesn't enter sleep mode after idle time, and is in a hung state without video output. Needs a hard power reset to come back.

OK, so I finally had the chance to debug and fix issue 2) properly. Going to share my findings here in case they could help someone else with the same issue (@Leesureone).

The symptom wasn't that the NUC wasn't entering sleep mode, but rather after a longer period of sleep it was in a powered on/hung state without video output and needed a hard restart to fix.

Checking the power management logs in terminal, I found these messages:

% pmset -g log | grep -e "Sleep.*due to" -e "Wake.*due to"

2023-03-19 18:36:00 -0400 Sleep Entering Sleep state due to '': Using AC (Charge:0%) 2023-03-19 22:13:21 -0400 Sleep Entering Sleep state due to 'Software Sleep pid=160':TCPKeepAlive=active Using AC (Charge:0%) 3875 secs 2023-03-19 23:17:56 -0400 DarkWake DarkWake from Normal Sleep [CDN] : due to RTC0/Maintenance Using AC (Charge:0%) 46 secs 2023-03-19 23:18:42 -0400 Sleep Entering Sleep state due to 'Maintenance Sleep':TCPKeepAlive=active Using AC (Charge:0%) 16323 secs 2023-03-20 03:50:45 -0400 DarkWake DarkWake from Normal Sleep [CDN] : due to RTC0/Maintenance Using AC (Charge:0%) 45 secs 2023-03-20 03:51:30 -0400 Sleep Entering Sleep state due to 'Maintenance Sleep':TCPKeepAlive=active Using AC (Charge:0%) 2023-03-20 08:47:46 -0400 Sleep Entering Sleep state due to '': Using AC (Charge:0%)

This line was the key:

2023-03-20 03:50:45 -0400 DarkWake DarkWake from Normal Sleep [CDN] : due to RTC0/Maintenance

For whatever reason, RTC0 is waking the NUC and its not able to place it back into the correct sleep state.

Googling this leads to a suggestion to disable RTC wake scheduling in the OC kernel config where the darkwakes are showing in the pm log: https://github.com/rafaelmaeuer/Asus-Z590-P-Hackintosh/blob/main/Docs/SLEEP.md

This fixed it.
Couldn't find info on the impact of disabling this RTC0/Maintenance job, the OC docs are pretty sparse here. If it means a bit of RTC drift I can live that that.
Also don't get why I had this issue in the first place (noone else reported it), but anyways, glad I don't need to hard power down each day now :)

Hi,

First of all, thanks for your outstanding work guys. I have just installed MacOS Ventura on my Intel NUC.

The only thing that I could not solve is the WiFi.

I have a NUC8I5BEH model and I have no clue how to make the WiFi work. And I am not sure if there is any solution.

Thank you for your help.

Hi,

First of all, thanks for your outstanding work guys. I have just installed MacOS Ventura on my Intel NUC.

The only thing that I could not solve is the WiFi.

I have a NUC8I5BEH model and I have no clue how to make the WiFi work. And I am not sure if there is any solution.

Thank you for your help.
On page 89 I have some uploads that enable both wireless and Bluetooth. Use the latest version on a flash drive to test.

On page 89 I have some uploads that enable both wireless and Bluetooth. Use the latest version on a flash drive to test.
They "work", but I cannot connect to wifi networks. I can see them, but when I try to connect, the connection is rejected.

They "work", but I cannot connect to wifi networks. I can see them, but when I try to connect, the connection is rejected.
Ventura requires an "Alpha" version of the Itlwm.kext and when the system first loads and you try to connect to a network it can take a while. I've thought I had to add my wifi password a couple of times getting impatient but for me I found if I wait after the first time it's always eventually connected.

It could also be an issue with your router setup, even if it's working with other devices it's possible may not want to play nicely with the NUC. Monterey uses a different kext and is available in a "release" version that might work better for you. You'd need to reload the OS and find and down load the correct wireless kext though.

Is bluetooth working?

Ventura requires an "Alpha" version of the Itlwm.kext and when the system first loads and you try to connect to a network it can take a while. I've thought I had to add my wifi password a couple of times getting impatient but for me I found if I wait after the first time it's always eventually connected.

It could also be an issue with your router setup, even if it's working with other devices it's possible may not want to play nicely with the NUC. Monterey uses a different kext and is available in a "release" version that might work better for you. You'd need to reload the OS and find and down load the correct wireless kext though.

Is bluetooth working?
Same like WiFi. I can see the nearby devices, but cannot connect.

I have no Itlwm.kext in my kext folder, only an AirportItlwm.kext.

I read somewhere that the HeliPort app could fix WiFi, if I have Itlwm.kext. I will give a try. Either with the Alpha version or a Stable one.

Same like WiFi. I can see the nearby devices, but cannot connect.

I have no Itlwm.kext in my kext folder, only an AirportItlwm.kext.

I read somewhere that the HeliPort app could fix WiFi, if I have Itlwm.kext. I will give a try. Either with the Alpha version or a Stable one.
Sorry, I meant AirportItlmnt.kext, not itlmn.kext. My bad

OK, so I finally had the chance to debug and fix issue 2) properly. Going to share my findings here in case they could help someone else with the same issue (@Leesureone).

The symptom wasn't that the NUC wasn't entering sleep mode, but rather after a longer period of sleep it was in a powered on/hung state without video output and needed a hard restart to fix.

Checking the power management logs in terminal, I found these messages:

% pmset -g log | grep -e "Sleep.*due to" -e "Wake.*due to"

2023-03-19 18:36:00 -0400 Sleep Entering Sleep state due to '': Using AC (Charge:0%) 2023-03-19 22:13:21 -0400 Sleep Entering Sleep state due to 'Software Sleep pid=160':TCPKeepAlive=active Using AC (Charge:0%) 3875 secs 2023-03-19 23:17:56 -0400 DarkWake DarkWake from Normal Sleep [CDN] : due to RTC0/Maintenance Using AC (Charge:0%) 46 secs 2023-03-19 23:18:42 -0400 Sleep Entering Sleep state due to 'Maintenance Sleep':TCPKeepAlive=active Using AC (Charge:0%) 16323 secs 2023-03-20 03:50:45 -0400 DarkWake DarkWake from Normal Sleep [CDN] : due to RTC0/Maintenance Using AC (Charge:0%) 45 secs 2023-03-20 03:51:30 -0400 Sleep Entering Sleep state due to 'Maintenance Sleep':TCPKeepAlive=active Using AC (Charge:0%) 2023-03-20 08:47:46 -0400 Sleep Entering Sleep state due to '': Using AC (Charge:0%)

This line was the key:

2023-03-20 03:50:45 -0400 DarkWake DarkWake from Normal Sleep [CDN] : due to RTC0/Maintenance

For whatever reason, RTC0 is waking the NUC and its not able to place it back into the correct sleep state.

Googling this leads to a suggestion to disable RTC wake scheduling in the OC kernel config where the darkwakes are showing in the pm log: https://github.com/rafaelmaeuer/Asus-Z590-P-Hackintosh/blob/main/Docs/SLEEP.md

This fixed it.
Couldn't find info on the impact of disabling this RTC0/Maintenance job, the OC docs are pretty sparse here. If it means a bit of RTC drift I can live that that.
Also don't get why I had this issue in the first place (noone else reported it), but anyways, glad I don't need to hard power down each day now :)
Hi, I just wanted to add that on my Nuc8i5 I had these exact problems with random wake RTC0 (Alarm). Because that exact line "RTC0 (Alarm)" did not show until I run the terminal direct after a crash I did not think of it at first. But since a few days now after activating the "Disable RTC wake scheduling" in OC 9.2 it sleeps like a baby and wakes just fine, no crashes. It was the only way to get it to work. I got the info from this page by jaymonkey, https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solved-ventura-random-scheduled-pm-wake-from-sleep.323359/ and now also from your article. Thanks

Hi, I just wanted to add that on my Nuc8i5 I had these exact problems with random wake RTC0 (Alarm). Because that exact line "RTC0 (Alarm)" did not show until I run the terminal direct after a crash I did not think of it at first. But since a few days now after activating the "Disable RTC wake scheduling" in OC 9.2 it sleeps like a baby and wakes just fine, no crashes. It was the only way to get it to work. I got the info from this page by jaymonkey, https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solved-ventura-random-scheduled-pm-wake-from-sleep.323359/ and now also from your article. Thanks
congratulations . Can you share the current EFI folder?

congratulations . Can you share the current EFI folder?
Yes of course. I took away all serials of course and as you may see from the drivers I dualboot this NUC with Linux installations.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    27.5 MB · Views: 56
Back