Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

So I got my NUC8i7 yesterday and configured it using OC6.0, will update to 6.1 later. I have the USBC ports working properly and sleep works as well, I didn't add the Beta Wireless kexts discussed on this page because sleep is more important to me that connectivity or working wireless at the moment.

I attached my updated EFI folder only so you can compare the contents of it to yours, if you look at them side by side you should begin to get some answers as to what works and what doesn't. Compare the two config.plists side by side as well, it’s possibly the most important aspect of any OC configuration.

I have renamed some of the SSDT files for ease of configuration in the config.plist so keep that in mind. If you think I'm missing or have an extra file you don't have in ACPI/Add that could be the real reason. What I found is that without adding the SSDT for USBC the Thunderbolt/ USBC ports do not show up at. Not in Hackintool or IORegistryExplorer.App, they aren't enabled without it.

A little history on that SSDT Rehabman, who started this excellent thread, created it back when we used DDST and SSDTs to configure some of the hackintosh functions kexts or drivers didn't address. Things have changed since then but that file remains necessary to enable the USBC ports. I believe there are other similar SSDTs that have been in development that allow hot plugging of Thunderbolt devices but I have not tried them on the NUC8s. I think they may work in the same way and may enable the USBC ports as well. The NUC10i7 configuration utilizes one is why I mention it and USBC works.

Once I added the SSDT-USBC.aml file to EFI/OC/ACPI folder (see my EFI attached) and enabled loading it via the config.plist it changed everything. Following the guide for USB Configuration I sent you earlier I then added USBInjectAll.kext, enabled it, and set the Kernel Quirk for "XhciPortLimit" as "/true" the USBC ports showed after rebooting. From there I used Hackintool to decide which ports to enable and created the USBPorts.kext, also attached in my EFI folder. Once that was created and added to the kexts folder/ enabled in the config.plist I then turned off USBInjectAll.kext leaving XhciPortLimit" as "/true. You can also leave USBInjectAll.kext enabled and turn off XhciPortLimit, its basically the same thing IMO.

Hope that helps explain a little more

Thunderbolt/USBC ports showing in Hackintool

View attachment 489623

My Final USB port Selection before Creation OF the USBPorts.kext

View attachment 489624
Hi @Leesureone thank you for all of this. I tried a lot of things, compared all of the SSDT's all the the kexts, and the config files, and when none of that worked, I just decided to replace my entire EFI folder with yours. And my USB-C / Thunderbolt port still doesn't work. The only thing left that I can think of is I must have something setup wrong in the bios. Can you share your bios setting with me? Thank you.

EFI NUC8 OC6.3: NUC8OC6.3EFI_JV.zip

Based on the post #894@Leesureone and settings the post #3689

Replace MLB, SystemSerialNumber, SystemUUID from config.plist with your IDs:
Bash:
plutil -replace PlatformInfo.Generic.MLB -xml '<string>YOUR_MLB</string>' config.plist
plutil -replace PlatformInfo.Generic.SystemSerialNumber -xml '<string>YOUR_SERIAL_NUMBER</string>' config.plist
plutil -replace PlatformInfo.Generic.SystemUUID -xml '<string>YOUR_SYSTEM_UUID</string>' config.plist

Update: AppleALC, Lilu, VirtualSMC, WhateverGreen to current versions. Tool Used: OC-tool. Tested in Catalina 10.15.7

Attachments

• NUC8OC6.3EFI_JV.zip
    76.6 MB · Views: 217
Last edited:
Hi @Leesureone thank you for all of this. I tried a lot of things, compared all of the SSDT's all the the kexts, and the config files, and when none of that worked, I just decided to replace my entire EFI folder with yours. And my USB-C / Thunderbolt port still doesn't work. The only thing left that I can think of is I must have something setup wrong in the bios. Can you share your bios setting with me? Thank you.

Not much to change and probably not the culprit but here you go from the original guide:

To start, choose "Load Defaults" (choose from the menu or press F9 in the BIOS setup).

Then change:
- Boot->Boot Configuration, disable "Network Boot"
- Power->Secondary Power Settings, "Wake on LAN from S4/S5", set to "Stay Off"

These settings are important but are already set as needed by "Load Defaults"
- Devices->Video, "IGD Minimum Memory" set to 64mb or 128mb
- Devices->Video, "IGD Aperture Size" set to 256mb
- Boot->Secure Boot, "Secure Boot" is disabled

It may be you have to map your USB ports being I used an i7 and you have an i5, we know there are differences in how USB needs to be configured. This is how: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/the-new-beginners-guide-to-usb-port-configuration.286553/

EFI NUC8 OC6.3: NUC8OC6.3EFI_JV.zip

Based on the post #894@Leesureone and settings the post #3689

Replace MLB, SystemSerialNumber, SystemUUID from config.plist with your IDs:
Bash:
plutil -replace PlatformInfo.Generic.MLB -xml '<string>YOUR_MLB</string>' config.plist
plutil -replace PlatformInfo.Generic.SystemSerialNumber -xml '<string>YOUR_SERIAL_NUMBER</string>' config.plist
plutil -replace PlatformInfo.Generic.SystemUUID -xml '<string>YOUR_SYSTEM_UUID</string>' config.plist
Have you ever used GenSYMBIOS from Corpnewt? Basically does the same thing with a few more options.

Is there an equivalent file for NUC7? I'm having a similar issue.

Edit: I don't think there is but there are a lot of postings on GitHub where users have the DDST he created in the ACPI folder. See here, it might work for you.

I'm not sure, I don't have a NUC7 anymore but the link to Rehabman's repo still works. If you run the scripts from the first page it will download and compile the various DDSTs and SSDTs he created. It will mess up your existing EFI folder if you run all the scripts and potentially add files to L/E which you do not want but all that can be reversed. Maybe check what's been done after each line of code is executed in terminal and you can stop before that happens. If he used one that's where it came from.

Last edited:
Not much to change and probably not the culprit but here you go from the original guide:

To start, choose "Load Defaults" (choose from the menu or press F9 in the BIOS setup).

Then change:
- Boot->Boot Configuration, disable "Network Boot"
- Power->Secondary Power Settings, "Wake on LAN from S4/S5", set to "Stay Off"

These settings are important but are already set as needed by "Load Defaults"
- Devices->Video, "IGD Minimum Memory" set to 64mb or 128mb
- Devices->Video, "IGD Aperture Size" set to 256mb
- Boot->Secure Boot, "Secure Boot" is disabled

It may be you have to map your USB ports being I used an i7 and you have an i5, we know there are differences in how USB needs to be configured. This is how: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/the-new-beginners-guide-to-usb-port-configuration.286553/
@Leesureone Here's what I've tried. Any help would be appreciated.

I set my bios settings exactly as you instructed.

I replaced my EFI folder with yours. I deleted your USBPorts.kext, and followed the new beginners guide to USB port Configuration link that you gave me.

I added USBInjectAll.kext to the Kexts folder and the config file, and set XhciPortLimit to TRUE just like the guide instructed.

I opened Hackintool and plugged USB 2.0 and 3.0 devices into every port. But nothing registers when I plug something into the USB-C / Thunderbolt port. And as you can see from the screenshot, I'm missing the TBTU Thunderbolt 3 Controller you have listed in your Hackintool screenshot.

Any ideas???

Screenshot of my Hackintool USB mapping below. EFI folder attached.

Thank you!

Screen Shot 2020-10-08 at 11.04.05 PM.png

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    12.1 MB · Views: 58
@Leesureone Here's what I've tried. Any help would be appreciated.

I set my bios settings exactly as you instructed.

I replaced my EFI folder with yours. I deleted your USBPorts.kext, and followed the new beginners guide to USB port Configuration link that you gave me.

I added USBInjectAll.kext to the Kexts folder and the config file, and set XhciPortLimit to TRUE just like the guide instructed.

I opened Hackintool and plugged USB 2.0 and 3.0 devices into every port. But nothing registers when I plug something into the USB-C / Thunderbolt port. And as you can see from the screenshot, I'm missing the TBTU Thunderbolt 3 Controller you have listed in your Hackintool screenshot.

Any ideas???

Screenshot of my Hackintool USB mapping below. EFI folder attached.

Thank you!

View attachment 491074
Ps. I also double checked and the Thunderbolt controller is on in the bios.

Ps. I also double checked and the Thunderbolt controller is on in the bios.
The only suggestion I have is in the bios change thunderbolt to legacy. Do those ports work in Windows or Linux?

Back