Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

I have innumerable times! that's what's weird.
It is, had the same issue with my desktop so it’s not hardware specific. I’ve also lost the boot drive using clover after a windows update.

I am in the process of deploying my first NUC hack which is a NUC7I7DNKE I was able to get on Ebay really cheap. Still waiting for the replacement wifi m.2 card but I already started the install. I used the NUC7EFIOC5.9.zip from @Leesureone (Thanks for this!!) with an SMIbios 8,1 which seems to work really great except one thing. Both my 1440p and my 4k HDMI monitor is seen as a TV instead of a true monitor and for some reason I am limited at 1440p with no HiDPI options. Not sure if this is config or this might be SMIbios related. Anybody any pointers?

I am in the process of deploying my first NUC hack which is a NUC7I7DNKE I was able to get on Ebay really cheap. Still waiting for the replacement wifi m.2 card but I already started the install. I used the NUC7EFIOC5.9.zip from @Leesureone (Thanks for this!!) with an SMIbios 8,1 which seems to work really great except one thing. Both my 1440p and my 4k HDMI monitor is seen as a TV instead of a true monitor and for some reason I am limited at 1440p with no HiDPI options. Not sure if this is config or this might be SMIbios related. Anybody any pointers?
Hi @eXTriC, the OC EFI folder I created for the NUC7 is for a different model than yours, you have a "Dawson Canyon" version which has a different integrated iGPU. Yours has UHD Graphics 620 instead of the Iris® Plus Graphics 650 the NUC7i7BNH I wrote it for and that's the issue. I'm hoping you have some experience although I'm sure if you are persistent you'll get it sorted.

The guide link below explains about Lilu, Whatevergreen and Device IDs. Using Hackintool and plist editor you can change the DeviceProperties for your iGPU in the config.plist.

You can read the whole thing but the main part you're going to need starts beginning: WhatEverGreen IGPU Manual Configuration

There may be other issues like USB that doesn't behave properly and breaks sleep/wake but that's relatively easy to address later.

Hey @eXTriC, great to see another one with the NUC7I7DNKE! It has been working flawlessly for me the last two years.

Im also currently trying to switch from Clover to Opencore. I have experienced the same issues as you, and as @Leesureone said, it is related to our iGPU. I’m not an expert so I haven’t fixed it yet but I think I’m in the correct path. Just use hackintool to find the correct pci values.

Also the break sleep and wake problems are present because the usb map is slightly different. Although I’ve been fiddling with the map so it might be that I broke something.

Regarding Bluetooth, it is working fine for me, but I haven’t managed to get Continuity working (in my Clover installation works perfectly). I think that’s because I’ve messed up something with the flag or the order in which you have to load the kext.

Lets see if in a collective effort we can manage to get this model to work with OC. It is almost the only one lacking support nowadays!

Last edited:
Hey @eXTriC, great to see another one with the NUC7I7DNKE! It has been working flawlessly for me the last two years.

Im also currently trying to switch from Clover to Opencore. I have experienced the same issues as you, and as @Leesureone said, it is related to our iGPU. I’m not an expert so I haven’t fixed it yet but I think I’m in the correct path. Just use hackintool to find the correct pci values.

Also the break sleep and wake problems are present because the usb map is slightly different. Although I’ve been fiddling with the map so it might be that I broke something.

Regarding Bluetooth, it is working fine for me, but I haven’t managed to get Continuity working (in my Clover installation works perfectly). I think that’s because I’ve messed up something with the flag or the order in which you have to load the kext.

Lets see if in a collective effort we can manage to get this model to work with OC. It is almost the only one lacking support nowadays!
Just and FYI, unless you have an aftermarket add in wireless/ bluetooth card OSx sees as native don't expect continuity to work.You should be able to get your video and USB sorted though.

Hackintool is showing UHD630 as current iGPU but 620 as the current Framebuffer so I will look into that as well as the -cdfon MacOS boot argument for HiDPI displays.
The wrong USB kext has created no issue with sleep/wake for me so far however I will create my own shortly.
I will publish everything in a separate GitHub project.

-----
Update - I fixed the Framebuffer and can now drive HiDPI and 4k. The fix was literally in the Lilu idiots guide. I will now get started on the USB mapping and we should be golden

Attachments

• config.plist
    17 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Just and FYI, unless you have an aftermarket add in wireless/ bluetooth card OSx sees as native don't expect continuity to work.You should be able to get your video and USB sorted though.

I have a Broadcom DW1560. In my clover installation Continuity and handoff work without any kind of issue. I guess that with a bit of elbow grease and luck I’ll get the same result in OC.
Hackintool is showing UHD630 as current iGPU but 620 as the current Framebuffer so I will look into that as well as the -cdfon MacOS boot argument for HiDPI displays.
The wrong USB kext has created no issue with sleep/wake for me so far however I will create my own shortly.

-----
Update - I fixed the Framebuffer and can now drive HiDPI and 4k. The fix was literally in the Lilu idiots guide. I will now get started on the USB mapping and we should be golden

Wow good job! Thanks for sharing! I’ll check what is wrong with my config when I get home!

-----
Nice work and glad it was that easy. I'm going to post your config.plist to page 90 for other users once I get a chance to check it over. OC 5.9 right?

I have a Broadcom DW1560. In my clover installation Continuity and handoff work without any kind of issue. I guess that with a bit of elbow grease and luck I’ll get the same result in OC.

Wow good job! Thanks for sharing! I’ll check what is wrong with my config when I get home!
For your Broadcom card to work add the kexts needed for Catalina to the config.plist under Kernel/Add and paste them into OC\Kexts (there are four I think). You will also have to sort out your USB ports but whatever you doing before should also work in OC.

Nice work and glad it was that easy. I'm going to post your config.plist to page 90 for other users once I get a chance to check it over. OC 5.9 right?

Correct I used your 5.9 version

I updated the usbports.kext and it works fine but the port are reported as internal not sure why that is

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-06-19 at 10.22.41.png
    Screenshot 2020-06-19 at 10.22.41.png
    895.3 KB · Views: 47
  • USBPorts.kext.zip
    2.6 KB · Views: 50
Back