Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

I have been searching high and low to find your post. I have a NUC8i7BEH and it works fairly well including BT. I am listening to music on my BT speaker as I type. The Sleep/Wake ReBoot problem has been a fly in the ointment. I seem to suffer from USB dragging down the speed of the I/O also. My BT will drop out if I access the USB drive. It USB seems to be causing more than the ReBoot... I was wondering how it is going since your post is several months ago, which means you should have some experience or comments on the results of the fix. I am going to try the same fix and may see if I can drop your files into the appropriate spot. For me this has been a lot more than 30 minutes. I spent longer than that trying to find your post. Leesureone's EFI folder makes a good Audio result on my headphone jack. I haven't tried to hook up to HDMI yet. It works good except for the USB/Sleep/Wake problems. I am also assuming the fix will eliminate all my problems.
We might hear from him, he wanted the perfect Mac substitute and got as close as you can get with an NUC. He told us he was signing off after buying a real Mac. Its worth trying his usb ssdt.aml file, he configured it to activate the internal headers as well which I don't think you need. It should still work although you may still have Bluetooth problems being he disabled internal Bluetooth.

We might hear from him, he wanted the perfect Mac substitute and got as close as you can get with an NUC. He told us he was signing off after buying a real Mac. Its worth trying his usb ssdt.aml file, he configured it to activate the internal headers as well which I don't think you need. It should still work although you may still have Bluetooth problems being he disabled internal Bluetooth.
Ok Thanks for your input. I understand him maybe going full Mac, I have several, but I use my UD5H almost exclusively. It had 32GB ram which I need because I keep 150 - 200 tabs open along with some programs and my Mini and MB Pro slow down too much with the load. My 32gb is now 16GB due to overheating the memory manager and it is only able to handle 16GB hence my interest in a NUC with 32GB or maybe 64 if that becomes more do able. I am trying to use a smaller footprint while still having awesome computing power. I am studying the USB data and will implement a fix. My BT is working fairly well, (I think). I will try to ensure that the BT is kept working. Hopefully, I will have this completed in a couple days. I really appreciate your input. Thanks

Thats awesome you got the i7 adapter working. I've thought about setting one up just to be able to document the process for the community. Would you consider sharing your new found knowledge?

On another note that is damn strange about the i5. Essentially it's the same model but for whatever reason the i7 users have problems using the USBSSDT that works for the i3 and i5s. Could be a USB issue being that's a requirement, be my guess anyway.
Bluetooth is working on both my Nuc8i5 and Nuc7i7 with the kext.

Ok, I now have both NUC8i7 and i5 with BT AND wifi working from BCM94360CS2 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BQ976CR/?tag=tonymacx86com-20 along with M.2 adapter https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Mac-OS-BCM94360CD-12-6-Pin-Wireless-Card-Module-to-M-2-NGFF-Key-B-M-Adapter/273519874451?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160727114228&meid=d34e13df049e49ccab65162a0758808a&pid=100290&rk=2&rkt=4&sd=114098955087&itm=273519874451&pmt=1&noa=1&pg=2060778&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507.

I followed this guide https://github.com/sarkrui/NUC8i7BEH-Hackintosh-Build to connect the wifi + adapter the NUC 8.

Attached are both EFI for my NUC8i5BEH and NUC8i5BEH, both BT and WIFI work. Need to turn the intel BT off.

FYI, you'll need to attach one of the antennas to the Card (grey one) black one is too short to reach the card. Without it, Sidecar didn't work on my NUC.

Attachments

• NUC8i5BEH OC 5.7 .zip
    24.7 MB · Views: 79
  • NUC8i7BEH OC 5.7.zip
    10.9 MB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Ok, I now have both NUC8i7 and i5 with BT AND wifi working from BCM94360CS2 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BQ976CR/?tag=tonymacx86com-20 along with M.2 adapter https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Mac-OS-BCM94360CD-12-6-Pin-Wireless-Card-Module-to-M-2-NGFF-Key-B-M-Adapter/273519874451?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160727114228&meid=d34e13df049e49ccab65162a0758808a&pid=100290&rk=2&rkt=4&sd=114098955087&itm=273519874451&pmt=1&noa=1&pg=2060778&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507.

I followed this guide https://github.com/sarkrui/NUC8i7BEH-Hackintosh-Build to connect the wifi + adapter the NUC 8.

Attached are both EFI for my NUC8i5BEH and NUC8i5BEH, both BT and WIFI work. Need to turn the intel BT off.

FYI, you'll need to attach one of the antennas to the Card (grey one) black one is too short to reach the card. Without it, Sidecar didn't work on my NUC.
the antenna you weren't able to attach is probably the bluetooth antenna. I think you should be able to un-glue the antenna from the NUC's case and move it so the connector reaches your card.

Hi all I have again problem with system wake up. I did everything and anyway sometime my system can't wake up from deep sleep. I can hear system sounds but it's everything. Have someone any solution ?

Greetings everyone,

has anyone a clue what Thermalzone 1 is? 135 degrees Celsius seems high, but I haven't had any issues with this so far. Or is this just a wrong measurement? I use my nuc7 hackintosh without a fan in a akasa nuc7 aluminium case.

Greetings
schlotterp

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-03 um 11.09.59.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-03 um 11.09.59.png
    137.5 KB · Views: 68
I downloaded the NUC7 OC 0.5.7 EFI from post 2680. Using that and merging in my existing platform info (iMac18, serial number, etc.), I was able to successfully boot from USB and install macOS 10.14.6 on my NUC7i5BNH.

I was very surprised that the install worked and I was able to get past the setup assistant. That had never worked before with OpenCore. I thought there was a problem with Cfg-Lock, but the EFI config does not have any of the workarounds (AppleCpuPmCfgLock or AppleXcpmCfgLock) on.

What worked:
- Install/boot/setup assistant
- General operation
- Ethernet
- Bluetooth with Magic Trackpad (tried both wired and wireless) - BT showed up in system profiler
- HDMI connection - LG 4K display, multiple resulutions/scaling factors tried

What didn’t work so far:
- Sleep - NUC fails to wake up when automatically or manually sleeping, may actually shut off

Not tried:
- iCloud anything
- iMessage/FaceTime/etc.
- Card reader - but didn’t appear in system profiler

I really want to fix the sleep issue. I guess I should look at USB.

Hi guys! I Used the latest Leesureone UEFI where Clover 5108 and everything works fine! Many thanks!!!
The only sound from headphones jack slot sounds awful, it seems that any load on the processor gives distortions and creaks. And if I connect headphones instead of speakers, it seems that I hear only the middle part of the stereo, moving the L\R side slider does not change anything - just stereo is missing, maybe someone faced a similar issue ??

Last edited:
I downloaded the NUC7 OC 0.5.7 EFI from post 2680. Using that and merging in my existing platform info (iMac18, serial number, etc.), I was able to successfully boot from USB and install macOS 10.14.6 on my NUC7i5BNH.

I was very surprised that the install worked and I was able to get past the setup assistant. That had never worked before with OpenCore. I thought there was a problem with Cfg-Lock, but the EFI config does not have any of the workarounds (AppleCpuPmCfgLock or AppleXcpmCfgLock) on.

What worked:
- Install/boot/setup assistant
- General operation
- Ethernet
- Bluetooth with Magic Trackpad (tried both wired and wireless) - BT showed up in system profiler
- HDMI connection - LG 4K display, multiple resulutions/scaling factors tried

What didn’t work so far:
- Sleep - NUC fails to wake up when automatically or manually sleeping, may actually shut off

Not tried:
- iCloud anything
- iMessage/FaceTime/etc.
- Card reader - but didn’t appear in system profiler

I really want to fix the sleep issue. I guess I should look at USB.
Yes, it probably is related to USB. It could also be display related depending on what your system is doing. I noticed lately my NUC7, if asleep overnight, will wake up but the display won't. I can unplug the HDMI cable, wait a moment, and plug it back in and the display works.

Hi everyone. First, thank you to everyone who participates here! So that others may benefit, I'm sharing my experience upgrading from an old Clover-based install to Leesureone's OC 5.7 folder for NUC8 on page 90. My basics are 10.14.6, NUC8i5 on BIOS 56, NVMe drive.

Solving a Kernel Panic Issue - Clear Old Stuff in /Library/Extensions
Booting into the 10.14.6 system installer worked fine with the OC5.7 folder, but when trying to boot my existing install of 10.14.6 (18G4032), I would get kernel panics. The issue turned out to be duplicate and conflicting loads of kexts; the fix was to clean out /Library/Extensions (not entirely, but at least removing old stuff that was installed the first time I set this machine up using RehabMan's guide). I cleaned those out, rebuilt kernel cache, and was able to boot just fine using Leesureone's OC5.7Nuc8 folder. Seemless transition, sweet.

Fixing Headphone Audio Oddities
The primary issue I experienced under this OC5.7 based setup was what some others have described with audio from the headphone jack. Symptoms include L-R balance having an effect on overall volume but no effect on balance and audio being very distorted. The fix I found was to edit the OC config.plist DeviceProperties --> Add --> PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1f,0x3) --> layout-id to use the value of <1c000000> (that's decimal 28, hex 1c). I verified this fix works across sleep/wake and switches back and forth between audio output devices. I also verified that setting the config value back to <03000000> reproduced the problems I was having, and switching the config back to <1c000000> fixed them again. I still experience some rare/occasional crackling but no distortion.

Hopefully these help you if you are experiencing these issues.

Back