Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

Motherboard
iMac
CPU
Graphics
built in
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Thanks Leesureone you got me moving in the right direction and new thoughts on the problem... I did the Create Media Command from Apple and got a USB which will boot on a MacBook, but not on the NUC8i7BEH. The USB was ready to install or repair the MacBook, but I cancelled out of the install and tried the USB on my NUC. It will not show up on the NUC at all even though I made USB the first boot drive. The NUC does not show the USB drive at all. It appears to me that the EFI partition and folder was not made by Unibeast. I have been trying to make an EFI partition bootloader using Multibeast 12.1.0 Catalina Edition but it errors out as follows:

Application Specific Information:
*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: '*** +[NSString stringWithUTF8String:]: NULL cString'
terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException
abort() called

I think that the above C&P is the entire info on the error. I have never had Multibeast crash before on my UD5H or MacBook Air. Worked most of the day on the problem. I do have an installer, but it will only (potentially) install on a Mac. The NUC install is not happening yet. I tied to use Clover Configurator to install Clover or the EFI folder and that did not work. I kept my UD5H old school for the longest time to avoid Clover and EFI. I finally installed them a few years ago, but forgot the details on how they work and install.The idea of swapping the Leesureone EFI folder got me thinking that the missing partition and EFI information and Clover installation files is wrecking my USB install, but with the Multibeast crashing, I am hard pressed to figure out another approach. Any ideas?

Motherboard
Asus Rog Strix Z490 Gaming E
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Thanks Leesureone you got me moving in the right direction and new thoughts on the problem... I did the Create Media Command from Apple and got a USB which will boot on a MacBook, but not on the NUC8i7BEH. The USB was ready to install or repair the MacBook, but I cancelled out of the install and tried the USB on my NUC. It will not show up on the NUC at all even though I made USB the first boot drive. The NUC does not show the USB drive at all. It appears to me that the EFI partition and folder was not made by Unibeast. I have been trying to make an EFI partition bootloader using Multibeast 12.1.0 Catalina Edition but it errors out as follows:

Application Specific Information:
*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: '*** +[NSString stringWithUTF8String:]: NULL cString'
terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException
abort() called

I think that the above C&P is the entire info on the error. I have never had Multibeast crash before on my UD5H or MacBook Air. Worked most of the day on the problem. I do have an installer, but it will only (potentially) install on a Mac. The NUC install is not happening yet. I tied to use Clover Configurator to install Clover or the EFI folder and that did not work. I kept my UD5H old school for the longest time to avoid Clover and EFI. I finally installed them a few years ago, but forgot the details on how they work and install.The idea of swapping the Leesureone EFI folder got me thinking that the missing partition and EFI information and Clover installation files is wrecking my USB install, but with the Multibeast crashing, I am hard pressed to figure out another approach. Any ideas?
I'm having a hard time inderstanding your explanation of what you are trying to do. I think you maybe are confused as to the next step after the create media commands complete. Once that's done use clover configurator to mount the EFI partition on the flash drive. Erase the EFI folder there, empty the trash, then copy my EFI folder onto it and you should be good.

Aza

Motherboard
NUC8i7BEH
CPU
Corei7
Graphics
Onboard
I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on an issue I'm having. I previously used this guide to build a Mojave NUC8i7BEH. Worked fine. I tried to make a clean install to Catalina and I got it to work, but only booting from the USB and in safe mode. Not good.
So I tried the open core method. But I'm super confused because I reformatted the USB and made it again using the OPEN core method. Then I dumped Leesureone's OpenCore efi from page 90.
When I go to install I'm still seeing the clover menu (I did copy a clover EFI to the internal HD's EFI partition). Is this right? Do I need to change my PCs boot priorities to USB first?

In any case after I run it in verbose I get this line and it hangs:

PCI configuration end, bridges 7, devices 14 ]

If anyone knows what I might be doing wrong I would appreciate it. Is there more patching that I have to do? Previously I just drag and dropped the EFI folder with Mojave and it worked, but maybe I'm missing a step with patches or something?

EDIT: Sorry I was just an idiot. I was still booting from the HD which of course had Clover EFI on there that wasn't working. I changed boot prio to the USB with Open Core and it went fine from then. Currently using migration assistant to get back to my normal back up. I guess we'll see how it goes.

Last edited:
Motherboard
intel nuc8i7beh
CPU
intel i7
Graphics
intel iris plus 655 + eGPU Radeon RX 570
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I know I'll be able to see the difference but what did you change and what model do you have again?

Hello, changed model to MacBookPro15,2 and disabled csr. Also upgraded Realtek pci card reader driver due to random crashes when memory card is plugged in.

But I think it could be a problem with VideoProc hw codec detection.
I'll try to revert back to macmini8,1 profile, because there are no obvious reasons why it should not work fine.

Thanks

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    12 MB · Views: 11
Motherboard
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on an issue I'm having. I previously used this guide to build a Mojave NUC8i7BEH. Worked fine. I tried to make a clean install to Catalina and I got it to work, but only booting from the USB and in safe mode. Not good.
So I tried the open core method. But I'm super confused because I reformatted the USB and made it again using the OPEN core method. Then I dumped Leesureone's OpenCore efi from page 90.
When I go to install I'm still seeing the clover menu (I did copy a clover EFI to the internal HD's EFI partition). Is this right? Do I need to change my PCs boot priorities to USB first?

In any case after I run it in verbose I get this line and it hangs:

PCI configuration end, bridges 7, devices 14 ]

If anyone knows what I might be doing wrong I would appreciate it. Is there more patching that I have to do? Previously I just drag and dropped the EFI folder with Mojave and it worked, but maybe I'm missing a step with patches or something?
If the Clover menu is showing you are still booting from the hardrive so change the bios to boot from the USB drive first or hit the appropriate “F“ key too be able to access the boot menu. I think it’s F10 but I forget, it prompts you at boot anyway as too the correct key.

Motherboard
Micro-Star International MS-AEA1
CPU
i7-6700HQ
Graphics
GTX 960M, HD 530
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I know I am asking too many questions in this thread. This one is not even that important cause it does not represent a problem. Just a weird observation:

When my 4k display is connected via HDMI using the built-in port of my NUC, it shows weird graphical artefacts upon boot, resolvable by plugging HDMI out and then plugging back in. When connected with an HDMI-USBC dongle (the white one from Apple that has an HDMI out, a USB 3.0, and another USB-C for Thunderbolt 3 daisy chaining), the machine has noticeable visual output lag. Not critical, just slightly annoying at times. When connected via a USBC-DisplayPort dongle (the most basic one from HAMA), I experience neither of these issues; however, my monitor, while being HDR10 capable, for some reason uses DisplayPort 1.2 that is not HDR-capable at 4k/60Hz. I don't watch a lot of HDR content (tbh I've never tried it on my NUC since I have a full-blown home theater setup in my living room), so for now I am using the USBC-DP connection option, but it's really weird that both ways to connect with HDMI are problematic.

Can anyone comment on this?

Motherboard
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I know I am asking too many questions in this thread. This one is not even that important cause it does not represent a problem. Just a weird observation:

When my 4k display is connected via HDMI using the built-in port of my NUC, it shows weird graphical artefacts upon boot, resolvable by plugging HDMI out and then plugging back in. When connected with an HDMI-USBC dongle (the white one from Apple that has an HDMI out, a USB 3.0, and another USB-C for Thunderbolt 3 daisy chaining), the machine has noticeable visual output lag. Not critical, just slightly annoying at times. When connected via a USBC-DisplayPort dongle (the most basic one from HAMA), I experience neither of these issues; however, my monitor, while being HDR10 capable, for some reason uses DisplayPort 1.2 that is not HDR-capable at 4k/60Hz. I don't watch a lot of HDR content (tbh I've never tried it on my NUC since I have a full-blown home theater setup in my living room), so for now I am using the USBC-DP connection option, but it's really weird that both ways to connect with HDMI are problematic.

Can anyone comment on this?
You can update your HDMI firmware via Intels support downloads for your device and see if that helps.

Aza

Motherboard
NUC8i7BEH
CPU
Corei7
Graphics
Onboard
If the Clover menu is showing you are still booting from the hardrive so change the bios to boot from the USB drive first or hit the appropriate “F“ key too be able to access the boot menu. I think it’s F10 but I forget, it prompts you at boot anyway as too the correct key.

You are correct. I don't know how it didn't spot it. Sleep deprivation I guess. It's all running fine and I'm migrating my Mojave back up as we speak. I actually figured it out a few mins after I posted here, but then I was busy fixing it. Thanks again for all your help.

Aza

Motherboard
NUC8i7BEH
CPU
Corei7
Graphics
Onboard
The EFI for OpenCore works like a charm, but the plist seems empty. Usually they have a bunch of stuff filled in when you look at clover configurator. I currently don't have iMessage. Do I just need to add serial numbers and if so is there a guide somewhere?
I'm pretty sure it is supposed to be MacMini8,1 but the OpenCore guide talks about MacPro. Can anyone help?

Motherboard
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
The EFI for OpenCore works like a charm, but the plist seems empty. Usually they have a bunch of stuff filled in when you look at clover configurator. I currently don't have iMessage. Do I just need to add serial numbers and if so is there a guide somewhere?
I'm pretty sure it is supposed to be MacMini8,1 but the OpenCore guide talks about MacPro. Can anyone help?
Totally different approach and you cannot use Clover Configurator. OpenCore Configurator is available but unreliable. Google Vannila Guide to OpenCore and there is excellent documentation along with a list of utilities of which one will make changes to your Symbios and add serial numbers. You can stay with the macmini8,1 no need to change it.