Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

It's 10.5

Disk test speed consumes the most

No.
I have Windows on a second disk (SSD) but under windows APFS disks are not visible.
However, I do not know a tool that would allow testing disc drives regardless of their format. Maybe there are any tools launched from a pendrive?

Installing this driver does not change anything (using Clover Configurator -> Install drives x64)

I already have OsxAptioFixDrv installed.
It's a little unusual. My suspicion is it has to do with the drive itself but I really can't say. There are programs free to try, I think Paragon offers one, that let you read APFS from Windows. Be surprised if you get the same results though.

It's a little unusual. My suspicion is it has to do with the drive itself but I really can't say. There are programs free to try, I think Paragon offers one, that let you read APFS from Windows. Be surprised if you get the same results though.

https://www.paragon-software.com/home/apfs-windows/#
Installed software you mentioned. Here are results on Windows:
Przechwytywanie.PNG

My guess is that the speeds are lower due to the lack of native APFS support in windows. However the results are similar each try.

Installed software you mentioned. Here are results on Windows:
View attachment 441282
My guess is that the speeds are lower due to the lack of native APFS support in windows. However the results are similar each try.
That's a lot better. I've used several different Nvme drives in various machines with OSX and not run into this. You could try posting a new thread with this issue being I don't think its NUC specific. See if anyone has a better idea or a similar situation they resolved.

I wrote the plist file for Launch Daemon to run the bluetooth script at boot. It works for me at Catalina.

1) Place the plist file as /Library/LaunchDaemons/iwmbtfw.plist
The file should be;

-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 505 Dec 21 20:27 /Library/LaunchDaemons/iwmbtfw.plist

2) run the command in terminal;

sudo launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchDaemons/iwmbtfw.plist

iwmbtfw.plist
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Label</key>
<string>com.iwmbtfw.firmwares</string>
<key>ProgramArguments</key>
<array>
<string>/etc/rc.boot.d/30.fix_bluetooth.local</string>
</array>
<key>RunAtLoad</key>
<true/>
<key>KeepAlive</key>
<true/>
<key>UserName</key>
<string>root</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Hey guys,

I tried to follow this guide to install Mac OS Catalina to my Intel NUC8i3BEK (https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/126149/intel-nuc-kit-nuc8i3bek.html). I always seem to be stuck before the installer of Mac OS loads. I use verbose option in Clover Installer options, so there is no Apple logo, just lines of text instead.

I think this guide worked perfectly at the time it was written, but unfortunately (at least for me) it is no longer the case. I can see several factors contributing to that:

1. I am installing Mac OS Catalina and not Mojave. Since Mojave is no longer available in the App Store, I had to download Catalina and try with it. Please let me know if Catalina is even possible to install.
2. At the times this guide was written, BIOS was in its 60s versions I guess. The BIOS I bought my NUC with was 074 and I got it upgraded to 075 after several unsuccessful trials of installation. I think this one might affect highly since some options listed in this guide as disabled by default are actually enabled by default. For example, "Boot->Secure Boot -> Secure Boot" is said to be disabled by default while in fact in 075 BIOS it is enabled by default. I suspect some other BIOS changes might also be different in the guide vs in reality. For example, I've seen that VT-d should be disabled while there's no word about it in the guide. Could anyone please provide the full diff of changes needed to be made to BIOS 075 from Defaults?
3. Is there any chance I could acquire the older versions of BIOS? Intel site doesn't seem to keep them. I would gladly use the older version to avoid asking all the questions.
4. Following the guide to create the bootable USB flash drive I used Clover_v2.5k_r5101 to install Clover onto it. Forum posts always tell me to copy something to drivers64UEFI folder, but mentioned version of Clover doesn't seem to create it. I suspect in new versions of Clover, the directory EFI/CLOVER/drivers/UEFI serves the same purpose. For a safe measure I created the drivers64UEFI folder and copied the .efi files into both folders anyway.
5. Also what about -64 suffix in drivers64UEFI folder as opposed to no such suffix in EFI/CLOVER/drivers/UEFI folder? Should I add this suffix to the files I copy over to drivers64UEFI? Can those files even be renamed safely without any changes in their contents?
6. I am being told to use either config_install_nuc8_bc.plist or config_nuc8_bc.plist and no exact option is specified. Is there no difference on which plist of these two to use? Should I use one of them to instal from USB and another one to boot the system from my SSD?
7. I read something that newer versions of Mac OS use APFS instead of HFS. Does that mean that I don't need HFSPlus.efi and should use ApfsDriverLoader.efi? What directory should that one go to considering Clover_v2.5k_r5101?
8. Should I use the USB ports of some special color on my NUC? I read somewhere that the voltage is different in the orange vs blue port, but any voltage these ports provide should be sufficient for a USB Flash drive.
9. Some guides say that prior to Mac OS Installer launch I should go to Clover's Graphics Injector -> FakeID and set it to 0x12345678. Regardless of whether I do that, my result is still the same. Could anyone please explain what does that manipulation achieve and whether it is necessary?

Currently I am stuck on "Attempting system restart...MACH Reboot". Higher in the logs it is said that "panic occurred prior to initialization". Before that I remember being stuck on plus signs appearing. Also there was an 1683, but I seem to have fixed that with these forum's posts.

Please find the related screenshots of my directory structure and photos of the boot log by this link: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=aWIxXy10OWlQSmxpYXFRRjB3bF9iVGVCeEpWeWRB.

PS: Pardon me if my tone sounds demanding, English is not my mother tongue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone
I have a intel nuc7i7bnh
I installed 10.14.6, 10.13.6 , 10.15.2
The three versions all have the same question,that is reboot randomly!!
Does anyone know what happened with that?
How can I solve the random reboot?:cry:
Thx a lot!!

Does the intel nuc7i7bnh can use post#894 efi
I know that is made for nuc8
But if it can use for my nuc7i7bnh, I will give it a try
My efi will lead to reboot randomly :(

Hey guys,

I tried to follow this guide to install Mac OS Catalina to my Intel NUC8i3BEK (https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/126149/intel-nuc-kit-nuc8i3bek.html). I always seem to be stuck before the installer of Mac OS loads. I use verbose option in Clover Installer options, so there is no Apple logo, just lines of text instead.

I think this guide worked perfectly at the time it was written, but unfortunately (at least for me) it is no longer the case. I can see several factors contributing to that:

1. I am installing Mac OS Catalina and not Mojave. Since Mojave is no longer available in the App Store, I had to download Catalina and try with it. Please let me know if Catalina is even possible to install.
2. At the times this guide was written, BIOS was in its 60s versions I guess. The BIOS I bought my NUC with was 074 and I got it upgraded to 075 after several unsuccessful trials of installation. I think this one might affect highly since some options listed in this guide as disabled by default are actually enabled by default. For example, "Boot->Secure Boot -> Secure Boot" is said to be disabled by default while in fact in 075 BIOS it is enabled by default. I suspect some other BIOS changes might also be different in the guide vs in reality. For example, I've seen that VT-d should be disabled while there's no word about it in the guide. Could anyone please provide the full diff of changes needed to be made to BIOS 075 from Defaults?
3. Is there any chance I could acquire the older versions of BIOS? Intel site doesn't seem to keep them. I would gladly use the older version to avoid asking all the questions.
4. Following the guide to create the bootable USB flash drive I used Clover_v2.5k_r5101 to install Clover onto it. Forum posts always tell me to copy something to drivers64UEFI folder, but mentioned version of Clover doesn't seem to create it. I suspect in new versions of Clover, the directory EFI/CLOVER/drivers/UEFI serves the same purpose. For a safe measure I created the drivers64UEFI folder and copied the .efi files into both folders anyway.
5. Also what about -64 suffix in drivers64UEFI folder as opposed to no such suffix in EFI/CLOVER/drivers/UEFI folder? Should I add this suffix to the files I copy over to drivers64UEFI? Can those files even be renamed safely without any changes in their contents?
6. I am being told to use either config_install_nuc8_bc.plist or config_nuc8_bc.plist and no exact option is specified. Is there no difference on which plist of these two to use? Should I use one of them to instal from USB and another one to boot the system from my SSD?
7. I read something that newer versions of Mac OS use APFS instead of HFS. Does that mean that I don't need HFSPlus.efi and should use ApfsDriverLoader.efi? What directory should that one go to considering Clover_v2.5k_r5101?
8. Should I use the USB ports of some special color on my NUC? I read somewhere that the voltage is different in the orange vs blue port, but any voltage these ports provide should be sufficient for a USB Flash drive.
9. Some guides say that prior to Mac OS Installer launch I should go to Clover's Graphics Injector -> FakeID and set it to 0x12345678. Regardless of whether I do that, my result is still the same. Could anyone please explain what does that manipulation achieve and whether it is necessary?

Currently I am stuck on "Attempting system restart...MACH Reboot". Higher in the logs it is said that "panic occurred prior to initialization". Before that I remember being stuck on plus signs appearing. Also there was an 1683, but I seem to have fixed that with these forum's posts.

Please find the related screenshots of my directory structure and photos of the boot log by this link: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=aWIxXy10OWlQSmxpYXFRRjB3bF9iVGVCeEpWeWRB.

PS: Pardon me if my tone sounds demanding, English is not my mother tongue.
Lots of questions, the original guide is outdated and no longer works More information is here #894

Mount the EFI portion on your USB drive and substitute the EFI folder with the one in post 894. That should allow you to get past the older version of clover and RTC fix needed to boot (adds APFS support too which is needed). Once you finish install repeat the process with your hard drive. Once you do lets pick up and try and answer any remaining questions you have

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the intel nuc7i7bnh can use post#894 efi
I know that is made for nuc8
But if it can use for my nuc7i7bnh, I will give it a try
My efi will lead to reboot randomly :(
No sir, I just picked one of these up and have a working EFI folder I can upload for you. Its got a custom AppleALC.kext that enables sound, if you update this kext sound will stop working, besides that all good but no support for Wireless or Bluetooth. No serial numbers...

Attachments

• EFINUC7.zip
    27.2 MB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Back