Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

Very unusual. What operating system? Mojave or Catalina? (not sure it really matters). Anything plugged into the USB or thunderbolt ports? There are values for Darkwake you can enter as a clover boot argument that might help. See link below. HDEF is an audio related, not sure why that could affect sleep/ wake behavior.

Catalina 10.15.2, USBs carry 1 mic (a Yeti sth.), a DAC-amp (SMSL Q5), and a mouse (a4tech x7, but the problem is observed with any other mouse). An Apple AV adapter in the TB3 port, used only to get one more USB 3.0 for the keyboard (a Logitech Craft). I'll try to do something from the Darkwake thread, thanks for the link!

Catalina 10.15.2, USBs carry 1 mic (a Yeti sth.), a DAC-amp (SMSL Q5), and a mouse (a4tech x7, but the problem is observed with any other mouse). An Apple AV adapter in the TB3 port, used only to get one more USB 3.0 for the keyboard (a Logitech Craft). I'll try to do something from the Darkwake thread, thanks for the link!
Okay, glad I asked about USB because other NUC8i7 users have had issues with the port patch limit the SSDT establishes. Unplug everything except your mouse and see if the issues persist, if they do creating your own SSDT should take care of it.

OK. I tried unplugging stuff. The latest failure message is... weird.

2019-12-19 01:25:05 +0000 Failure Failure during wake: (null) : Some drivers failed to handle setPowerState

So the system can't even identify which driver is causing failure now.

As of custom SSDTs, it looks like the SSDT provided in your EFI folder in #894 does enable all the ports I have properly, since all of them function as expected and respond to plugging/unplugging USB 2.0 and 3.0 thumb drives as expected.

UPDATE: the issue seems to be gone for now after I have tried disabling the internal WLAN and Bluetooth in BIOS settings (I've no idea how to make Intel's BT work anyway). Will update again if the issue re-emerges. Might as well trying to delete the HS10 port from the SSDT, I guess? Looks like that is the one responsible for the internal BT.

Last edited:
OK. I tried unplugging stuff. The latest failure message is... weird.

2019-12-19 01:25:05 +0000 Failure Failure during wake: (null) : Some drivers failed to handle setPowerState

So the system can't even identify which driver is causing failure now.

As of custom SSDTs, it looks like the SSDT provided in your EFI folder in #894 does enable all the ports I have properly, since all of them function as expected and respond to plugging/unplugging USB 2.0 and 3.0 thumb drives as expected.

UPDATE: the issue seems to be gone for now after I have tried disabling the internal WLAN and Bluetooth in BIOS settings (I've no idea how to make Intel's BT work anyway). Will update again if the issue re-emerges. Might as well trying to delete the HS10 port from the SSDT, I guess? Looks like that is the one responsible for the internal BT.

USBInjectall.kext enables all ports even beyond the 15 total OSX will recognize. An incorrectly configured SSDT is one of the most common reasons for Sleep/Wake problems. Sounds like you are on the right path

Last edited:
USBInjectall.kext enables all ports even beyond the 15 total OS X will recognize. An incorrectly configured SSDT is one of the most common reasons for Sleep/Wake problems. Sounds like you are on the right path
Wait. I have these files in the folder for the SSDT patch. The files provided by your EFI folder. The SSDT seems to suit well: IORegistry shows ONLY the ports I have, and they respond to plugging/unplugging USB 2.0/3.0 thumb drives as expected. Should I trash those and make my own SSDTs? It doesn't look like whatever I manage to make will have a different effect.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-19 at 01.48.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-19 at 01.48.47 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 56
Wait. I have these files in the folder for the SSDT patch. The files provided by your EFI folder. The SSDT seems to suit well: IORegistry shows ONLY the ports I have, and they respond to plugging/unplugging USB 2.0/3.0 thumb drives as expected. Should I trash those and make my own SSDTs? It doesn't look like whatever I manage to make will have a different effect.
That's what it seems like and may or may not be true. If its working leave it, it's worked for others. If you still have problems with sleep back up your efi folder an follow the guide to create your own.

That's what it seems like and may or may not be true. If its working leave it, it's worked for others. If you still have problems with sleep back up your efi folder an follow the guide to create your own.
OK, I will see if the issue persists. Thanks for responding fast!

Hi Guys,
how are your hard drives speed?
I experience playback skips and freeze on both iMovie and Davinci Resolve. I Checked my drive speed and discovered on first try it shows nearly same speed for write and read (about 1.6GB/s), bur on second and another attempts write speed is increased to about 100MB/s:
Zrzut ekranu 2019-12-19 o 11.54.10.png

I have determined that TRIM is enabled for my drive and it operate on the latest firmware.
It is the Intel 660p on PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 - LINK
My current BIOS version is 074.

I also find this: [Solved] Weird/Unstable SSD write speed
where someone writes about changing the BIOS settings. But that it was a different motherboard.

Have you had problems with the performance of your hard drives?

Last edited:
Hi Guys,
how are your hard drives speed?
I experience playback skips and freeze on both iMovie and Davinci Resolve. I Checked my drive speed and discovered on first try it shows nearly same speed for write and read (about 1.6GB/s), bur on second and another attempts write speed is increased to about 100MB/s:
View attachment 441185
I have determined that TRIM is enabled for my drive and it operate on the latest firmware.
It is the Intel 660p on PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 - LINK
My current BIOS version is 074.

I also find this: [Solved] Weird/Unstable SSD write speed
where someone writes about changing the BIOS settings. But that it was a different motherboard.

Have you had problems with the performance of your hard drives?
What version of OSX out of curiosity? Have you tried looking at Activity Monitor when this happens to see what is running? Have you tried checking disk speed in a different OS? Do you have a different NVMe drive you can test? Long shot that one. There is a driver in the clover boot loader you can try adding, its called NvmExpressDxe. You can also try changing your overall memory driver if you have AptioMemoryFix loading to OsxAptioFixDrv and see if that makes a difference.

Last edited:
What version of OSX out of curiosity?
It's 10.5
Have you tried looking at Activity Monitor when this happens to see what is running?
Disk test speed consumes the most
Have you tried checking disk speed in a different OS?
No.
I have Windows on a second disk (SSD) but under windows APFS disks are not visible.
However, I do not know a tool that would allow testing disc drives regardless of their format. Maybe there are any tools launched from a pendrive?
Do you have a different NVMe drive you can test?
There is a driver in the clover boot loader you can try adding, its called NvmExpressDxe.
Installing this driver does not change anything (using Clover Configurator -> Install drives x64)
You can also try changing your overall memory driver if you have AptioMemoryFix loading to OsxAptioFixDrv and see if that makes a difference.
I already have OsxAptioFixDrv installed.

Last edited:
Back