Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

These are my personal notes below on a website I used to fix a sleep problem once. And Terminal commands to uses that shows sleep and wake history to find the problem.
Also I once found updating drivers in kext/other folder fixed a sleep problem for an external device plugged in.
Hope it helps:

One other thing I'm sure you have checked but look at page 1 of this guide and double check bios settings match yours. I think I remember Leesureone mentioning the important ones a few pages back.

Try to sleep and then when it wakes right away paste the below command into terminal with admin privliges ie use password when it asks. It is a quick first way to see what is happening then search the line that is causing the problem in google.

log show --style syslog | fgrep "Wake reason"

Sleep and Wake history:

log show --style syslog | fgrep "[powerd:sleepWake]"

To save sleep and wake history to file:

log show --style syslog | fgrep "[powerd:sleepWake]" > MacBook-pro-sleepwake.txt
the thing is, that I go into sleep state but waking up doesn't work.

Thank you spotssy. Best of luck with your health first, nucintosh second!

I was only able to select vega 48 over 580. 5700 was not an option.
Note: its an imac, not an imac pr
Note2: its the same on apple.com. Imac can be upgraded to vega48 and imac pro to vega 64 or 64X (from 56)
I misread your initial post. I sold my latest iMac last year and when I bought this last one the i9 wasn't available but the configuration was similar. i7, 1 TB SSD, 4 GB Radeon Pro, 64 GB Ram. It didn't compare to my current desktop which has way more options for graphics, memory, storage, display etc. I've also got a couple apple laptops but my go to laptop right now is my Dell hack which works 100%, same as my desktop. Its all about your choice of hardware going into it and the NUC is a great little machine but will never, at least in my mind, be a Mac mini. You have to give up too much to get wireless going but since its not a portable device I knew going into that wouldn't be an issue for me. Within the limitations of the hardware that I understood before I bought it they work great.

Last edited:
Lots of things can keep your machine from sleeping, you can run this command from terminal and typically see an output. Also make sure you have wake for network access turned off in the bios

pmset -g assertion

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204760

Yes, I know about that command. It's actually "pmset -g assertions" though (plural "s").

That didn't help me much, unfortunately. There was nothing listed in the prevent sleep categories, even though my NUC would _not_ properly sleep, but wake up immediately.

After much fiddling and blindly trying things, I seem to have figured out what causes the sleep problems in my case: it's the Bluetooth!
When I turn off "Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer" in the "Advanced…" options of the Bluetooth system preferences, my NUC seems to finally be able to sleep reliably (so far at least).

I'm not entirely sure if those sleep problems exist because of my Asus USB-BT400 USB Bluetooth adapter specifically (which I bought, because it reportedly played well with Hackintoshes), or maybe my Logitech Harmony Companion remote, that I use besides my standard Magic Trackpad and Wireless Apple Keyboard, but for now I'm trying to get used to kneeling down and pressing the power button on my NUC every time I need it.

If anyone here has any practical experiences / solutions of their own with either the Asus adapter, or the Harmony Companion, in connection with system sleep problems, please let me know!

Yes, I know about that command. It's actually "pmset -g assertions" though (plural "s").

That didn't help me much, unfortunately. There was nothing listed in the prevent sleep categories, even though my NUC would _not_ properly sleep, but wake up immediately.

After much fiddling and blindly trying things, I seem to have figured out what causes the sleep problems in my case: it's the Bluetooth!
When I turn off "Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer" in the "Advanced…" options of the Bluetooth system preferences, my NUC seems to finally be able to sleep reliably (so far at least).

I'm not entirely sure if those sleep problems exist because of my Asus USB-BT400 USB Bluetooth adapter specifically (which I bought, because it reportedly played well with Hackintoshes), or maybe my Logitech Harmony Companion remote, that I use besides my standard Magic Trackpad and Wireless Apple Keyboard, but for now I'm trying to get used to kneeling down and pressing the power button on my NUC every time I need it.

If anyone here has any practical experiences / solutions of their own with either the Asus adapter, or the Harmony Companion, in connection with system sleep problems, please let me know!
At least you've narrowed it down and that is a step forward. I've used the Asus Adapter with the NUC8 and never had issues with sleep, I also use a Harmony Elite Remote Control and link a Harmony Bluetooth Keyboard to it for use on the NUC. Not much help for you there really and I apologize for the typo on the terminal command. Have you tried changing the USB port the adapter is plugged into?

At least you've narrowed it down and that is a step forward. I've used the Asus Adapter with the NUC8 and never had issues with sleep, I also use a Harmony Elite Remote Control and link a Harmony Bluetooth Keyboard to it for use on the NUC. Not much help for you there really and I apologize for the typo on the terminal command. Have you tried changing the USB port the adapter is plugged into?

I have pretty much the same setup. The Harmony Companion is paired as a Harmony Bluetooth Keyboard here as well.

You also did create a "Mac Computer" device and an activity with that device, like "Use media center", right? By default, the Harmony sends a sleep command to the Mac when you turn that activity off. That only works reliably for me (meaning, the NUC doesn't wake up immediately after again), if I turn off Bluetooth wake up.

I seem to also have some general USB/Bluetooth issues:

sometimes when I wake the NUC up, my Bluetooth devices will not work anymore and I have to plug out the Asus adapter and plug it back in again (same USB port), to make them register again. That was even before I turned off Bluetooth wake up—so basically: I could wake up the NUC with a click on my Magic Trackpad, but right after, macOS wouldn't "see" the trackpad anymore.

Also, sometimes my Magic Trackpad pointer is super laggy for a couple of seconds, almost as if there is high CPU load (but there there is not).

It doesn't seem to matter which USB port I use.

Maybe there is something wrong with my SSDT? I followed all the post install steps of the guide, so my SSDT was created via the original bash script commands, as far as I know.

I have pretty much the same setup. The Harmony Companion is paired as a Harmony Bluetooth Keyboard here as well.

You also did create a "Mac Computer" device and an activity with that device, like "Use media center", right? By default, the Harmony sends a sleep command to the Mac when you turn that activity off. That only works reliably for me (meaning, the NUC doesn't wake up immediately after again), if I turn off Bluetooth wake up.

I seem to also have some general USB/Bluetooth issues:

sometimes when I wake the NUC up, my Bluetooth devices will not work anymore and I have to plug out the Asus adapter and plug it back in again (same USB port), to make them register again. That was even before I turned off Bluetooth wake up—so basically: I could wake up the NUC with a click on my Magic Trackpad, but right after, macOS wouldn't "see" the trackpad anymore.

Also, sometimes my Magic Trackpad pointer is super laggy for a couple of seconds, almost as if there is high CPU load (but there there is not).

It doesn't seem to matter which USB port I use.

Maybe there is something wrong with my SSDT? I followed all the post install steps of the guide, so my SSDT was created via the original bash script commands, as far as I know.
Yep, I set up the remote the same as you. I agree it could be the SSDT and it’s worth trying to create your own. The process is described in detail here.

I misread your initial post. I sold my latest iMac last year and when I bought this last one the i9 wasn't available but the configuration was similar. i7, 1 TB SSD, 4 GB Radeon Pro, 64 GB Ram. It didn't compare to my current desktop which has way more options for graphics, memory, storage, display etc. I've also got a couple apple laptops but my go to laptop right now is my Dell hack which works 100%, same as my desktop. Its all about your choice of hardware going into it and the NUC is a great little machine but will never, at least in my mind, be a Mac mini. You have to give up too much to get wireless going but since its not a portable device I knew going into that wouldn't be an issue for me. Within the limitations of the hardware that I understood before I bought it they work great.
That is the difference, I never bought the nuc for Hackintosh. I only did that later, after I was reading about r/hackintosh and the nuc8 as a little side project :)

i’m all-in on apple (iphone xs, ipad air, ipad, macbookpro, 2x atv), so the imac makes sense for me.

i’m perfectly aware that for the same money you probably buy a beast of a hackintosh but if that is your motivation apple should not be your brand anyway.... :)

But the i9 / 64gb / 1tb / vega48 should give me piece of mind for what I do at least the next 6-8 years... (I have a mbp mid-2014 full spec which is still perfectly capable)

(+ there’s always the egpu option if needed )

That is the difference, I never bought the nuc for Hackintosh. I only did that later, after I was reading about r/hackintosh and the nuc8 as a little side project :)

i’m all-in on apple (iphone xs, ipad air, ipad, macbookpro, 2x atv), so the imac makes sense for me.

i’m perfectly aware that for the same money you probably buy a beast of a hackintosh but if that is your motivation apple should not be your brand anyway.... :)

But the i9 / 64gb / 1tb / vega48 should give me piece of mind for what I do at least the next 6-8 years... (I have a mbp mid-2014 full spec which is still perfectly capable)

(+ there’s always the egpu option if needed )
Beg to differ on choice of hardware and if you are a fan, or you want a beast of a machine, needing it to be strictly Apple. I think this site and others speak to that point well enough.

Regardless your new iMac will be fun and support whatever you need.

Last edited:
Hello there!

A NUC 8i7BEH user here. Used the Clover EFI folder from Post#894. Everything seems to be just fine except waking up from sleep: sometimes (not always!) it causes an immediate reboot after showing the desktop for a couple of seconds. Here's what I got in the terminal:

Code:
amalkatrazz@Rauls-Mac-mini ~ % sudo pmset -g log | grep -i failure
2019-12-14 20:58:30 +0000 Failure                 Failure during wake: 0xD6C7A1D300000032 : Darkwake Exit Failure                         
2019-12-15 13:50:01 +0000 Failure                 Failure during wake: 0xF3ED80B700000032 : Darkwake Exit Failure                         
2019-12-15 16:00:32 +0000 Failure                 Failure during wake: 0xF3ED80B700000032 : Darkwake Exit Failure                         
2019-12-16 16:29:41 +0000 Failure                 Failure during wake: CNVW(),HDEF() : Some drivers failed to handle setPowerState               
2019-12-18 13:42:26 +0000 Failure                 Failure during wake: HDEF() : Some drivers failed to handle setPowerState               
2019-12-18 22:25:46 +0000 Failure                 Failure during wake: HDEF() : Some drivers failed to handle setPowerState               
amalkatrazz@Rauls-Mac-mini ~ %

Anything else I need to attach? Again, it's the EFI from Post#894

Hello there!

A NUC 8i7BEH user here. Used the Clover EFI folder from Post#894. Everything seems to be just fine except waking up from sleep: sometimes (not always!) it causes an immediate reboot after showing the desktop for a couple of seconds. Here's what I got in the terminal:

Code:
amalkatrazz@Rauls-Mac-mini ~ % sudo pmset -g log | grep -i failure
2019-12-14 20:58:30 +0000 Failure                 Failure during wake: 0xD6C7A1D300000032 : Darkwake Exit Failure                       
2019-12-15 13:50:01 +0000 Failure                 Failure during wake: 0xF3ED80B700000032 : Darkwake Exit Failure                       
2019-12-15 16:00:32 +0000 Failure                 Failure during wake: 0xF3ED80B700000032 : Darkwake Exit Failure                       
2019-12-16 16:29:41 +0000 Failure                 Failure during wake: CNVW(),HDEF() : Some drivers failed to handle setPowerState             
2019-12-18 13:42:26 +0000 Failure                 Failure during wake: HDEF() : Some drivers failed to handle setPowerState             
2019-12-18 22:25:46 +0000 Failure                 Failure during wake: HDEF() : Some drivers failed to handle setPowerState             
amalkatrazz@Rauls-Mac-mini ~ %

Anything else I need to attach? Again, it's the EFI from Post#894
Very unusual. What operating system? Mojave or Catalina? (not sure it really matters). Anything plugged into the USB or thunderbolt ports? There are values for Darkwake you can enter as a clover boot argument that might help. See link below. HDEF is an audio related, not sure why that could affect sleep/ wake behavior.

Back