Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

thank you so much... i hope to try at lunch.... i'll let you know asap
Thanks for your Post @Zyrtossh. It helped me know how to update clover too which I was just in the middle of trying to work out. I didn't want me important kexts and drivers overwritten now my hackintosh boots finally.

Right, Clover can be updated anytime and if done correctly will leave the existing kexts and drivers in place (or upgrade the drivers depending). It typically also creates a backup of your EFI folder on your main drive.

See this post from @chinese_spy regarding the card reader. #1,256
I copied the kext you linked by @chinese_spy to EFI/CLOVER/Kexts/Other folder and rebooted but it isn't recognised is this how you install kexts or am I doing it wrong. Sorry for noob question.

Attachments

• MicroSD Card Kext not working.png
    MicroSD Card Kext not working.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 67
I copied the kext to EFI/CLOVER/Kexts/Other folder and rebooted...
You did everything right. But as i mentioned before, sinetek kext doesn't fix the status bar, it just add the ability to use SD slot for read/write data from/to sd-card. If kext works you should see info about card reader in System Information under Hardware/PCI. (see screenshot in my post #1,256)

You did everything right. But as i mentioned before, sinetek kext doesn't fix the status bar, it just add the ability to use SD slot for read/write data from/to sd-card. If kext works you should see info about card reader in System Information under Hardware/PCI. (see screenshot in my post #1,256)
Thanks so much all working now. It didn't work first time I did a reboot and file disappeared. I had clover configurator open with config.plist open maybe that did it. It also reset my cloud I had to put password in and verification code.

Anyway @chinese_spy your file and post got the last thing working. I also plugged in a usb-c to hdmi 4k adapter into the and it ran the monitor fine too so the last thing tested and all working. Thank for all that helped. Now I have some more learning to do. Backed up my Hackintosh using Carbon Copy Cloner to an external SSD drive in usb adapter so I'll aways have a backup in case something goes wrong.

Going to use the second drive to learn how to update clover etc without risk. Also good to have a drive to test Mojave updates etc too.

Attachments

• microSD now working thanks.png
    microSD now working thanks.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 59
Yesterday I updated post 901 with an updated EFI folder containing Clover 5070 and kext updates. You can always just switch it out with yours.
Hi again, please remind me: I have Clover v5070 installed. Should I mount EFI partition, delete everything from it and then copy content of your new ZIP file? Or should I copy over existing files in EFI partition and just overwrite?

I have still issue with "Couldn't allocate runtime area" and I want to be sure that everything is OK with my EFI and I haven't made a mistake anywhere.
In the meantime I changed the RAM modules. At first I had 1x 16GB GoodRAM GR2400S464L17/16G. I returned this memory because it was not on the NUC compatibility list and bought 2x 8GB Hynix HMA41GS6AFR8N-TF which is on it.
This exchange did not change anything. I still have an error "Couldn't allocate runtime area". I have 73 BIOS version like spottsy .

Last edited:
Hi again, please remind me: I have Clover v5070 installed. Should I mount EFI partition, delete everything from it and then copy content of your new ZIP file? Or should I copy over existing files in EFI partition and just overwrite?

I have still issue with "Couldn't allocate runtime area" and I want to be sure that everything is OK with my EFI and I haven't made a mistake anywhere.
In the meantime I changed the RAM modules. At first I had 1x 16GB GoodRAM GR2400S464L17/16G. I returned this memory because it was not on the NUC compatibility list and bought 2x 8GB Hynix HMA41GS6AFR8N-TF which is on it.
This exchange did not change anything. I still have an error "Couldn't allocate runtime area". I have 73 BIOS version like spottsy .
Mount the EFI partition and copy the EFI folder to.your desktop. Then delete it from the hard drive and empty the trash. Then copy the EFI folder from my post to your hard drive, reboot, and cross fingers the runtime error is resolved.

cross fingers the runtime error is resolved
Still no luck.
I also have two additional bugs (but they also appeared before):
IMG-5468.jpgIMG-5469.jpg
However, the "Couldn't allocate runtime area" is the most common one.

I think it can be caused by:
- hard drive
- BIOS settings
- BIOS version.

I attach the BIOS settings (zipped photos - NUC8BEH_bios_settings_073.zip). Maybe someone who have bios ver 73, with working Hackintosh, will compare and tell what to change.
I thought to downgrade the BIOS to 071, but I can't find it anywhere.

Attachments

• NUC8BEH_bios_settings_073.zip
    964.9 KB · Views: 91
Thank you chinese_spy. I changed the settings as you suggested. Unfortunately, it still didn't help.

I'm experiencing issues where after leaving my NUC8i7BEH unattended for some hours (during regular day or even over night) it'll just freeze on the screensaver. Moving the mouse or trying to VNC into the machine doesn't work. It's completely frozen and I have to force shut it down. Any idea what the source of the issue may be? I think I'm on BIOS 56. macOS 10.14.6 18G95 w/ supplemental update.

Also.. I was curious as to how some of y'all have gotten the hardware sensors working. I have iStatMenus on my MBP and I'd love to have it for my NUC Hackintosh too...

Back