Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

Last edited:
Still no luck.
I also have two additional bugs (but they also appeared before):
View attachment 427413View attachment 427414
However, the "Couldn't allocate runtime area" is the most common one.

I think it can be caused by:
- hard drive
- BIOS settings
- BIOS version.

I attach the BIOS settings (zipped photos - NUC8BEH_bios_settings_073.zip). Maybe someone who have bios ver 73, with working Hackintosh, will compare and tell what to change.
I thought to downgrade the BIOS to 071, but I can't find it anywhere.

Re Bios settings I just did what this guide said to do in bios and two more:

I just reset my Bios 73 for NUC8i7BEH and then did the following and my hackintosh boots fine.

Make sure to go to got o POST #901 and download the EFI folder. Delete yours and replace with that EFI folder it works great for bios 73 which I'm running.

In order to boot the Clover from the USB, you should visit your BIOS settings:
CLICK ADVANCED:
Click DEVICES: Onboard Devices Tab: This option others said causes LAG SO TURN OFF
I unticked WLAN and Bluetooth as I heard they don't work with Mojave and I use LAN anyways.

SECURITY TAB
- « Inter VT for directed I/VO (VT-d) » should be disabled

BOOT TAB: THEN SECURE BOOT TAB:
- « Secure Boot » should be disabled IMPORTANT
- « Legacy Boot » should be enabled DON'T WORRY ABOUT THIS ON BY DEFAULT IN 73
- « Fast Boot » should be disabled IT IS BY DEFAULT DISABLED
- Boot->Boot Devices-> « USB » should be enabled IT IS BY DEFAULT.

That is all I did to get my hackintosh booting.

ONE LAST THING RE FAN NOISE:
If you find the fan noise too loud especially in windows 10 if you dual boot like me to go TO: COOLING tab and change balanced to QUIET and it is nice an quiet.

I'm experiencing issues where after leaving my NUC8i7BEH unattended for some hours (during regular day or even over night) it'll just freeze on the screensaver. Moving the mouse or trying to VNC into the machine doesn't work. It's completely frozen and I have to force shut it down. Any idea what the source of the issue may be? I think I'm on BIOS 56. macOS 10.14.6 18G95 w/ supplemental update.

Also.. I was curious as to how some of y'all have gotten the hardware sensors working. I have iStatMenus on my MBP and I'd love to have it for my NUC Hackintosh too...

I can confirm that I am running BIOS 73 and things are working great. I can sleep or let go to sleep and it does. Blue button blinks to show me it is asleep and wakes fine.

I would do the following. Make sure to backup just in case.

Go to POST #901. As he suggests download the files which were updated a couple of days ago so CLOVER is version 5070 the latest version and all KEXTS are updated for Mojave 10.14.6.

Delete/backup your EFI to floppy boot and copy the NEW EFI to your hard drive EFI partition. Mount it with Clover Configurator.

Then I would update the bios which you can put on the floppy: Load defaults and then follow the post I wrote just above POST #1,332 and untick those options and things should boot if your Mojave install is solid.

If it isn't solid then the you can do a clean install using a USB with the NEW EFI and Mojave installer USB. It has Clover on it and kexts so clean install should work fine.

Hello,

I'm completely new on Hackintosh and just bought a Intel NUC8i7BEH2 and seems that I'm not able to install macOS Mojave.
I tried creating install media's with clover, unibeat and everyone fails. I just get the the apple logo with the progress bar and It just stops at the end. Don't get even in the installer to erase the disk.
I think I tried everything, enabled or disabled the usb input devices (in the clover options) renaming the fakeid for the internal graphics card.
Booting with verbose mode and then I just at this (see attached).
Adjusted the bios.
Tried to downgrade from 0064 to 0056 but I didn't allowed me to. After two fails on 0064 updated it to 0074 and that worked but keeps getting stuck at the end of the progress bar.
These are the guide that I used/tried

Attachments

• IMG_0048.jpeg
    IMG_0048.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 66
I can confirm that I am running BIOS 73 and things are working great. I can sleep or let go to sleep and it does. Blue button blinks to show me it is asleep and wakes fine.

I would do the following. Make sure to backup just in case.

Go to POST #901. As he suggests download the files which were updated a couple of days ago so CLOVER is version 5070 the latest version and all KEXTS are updated for Mojave 10.14.6.

Delete/backup your EFI to floppy boot and copy the NEW EFI to your hard drive EFI partition. Mount it with Clover Configurator.

Then I would update the bios which you can put on the floppy: Load defaults and then follow the post I wrote just above POST #1,332 and untick those options and things should boot if your Mojave install is solid.

If it isn't solid then the you can do a clean install using a USB with the NEW EFI and Mojave installer USB. It has Clover on it and kexts so clean install should work fine.
Hey man.. I have a clean bootable macos mojava usb drive with the EFI folder from #901. I've also set all the bios settings accordingly but no luck..

I bought a 1TB samsung 960evo which I formatted as AFPS during the first time I could get into the macos installer. However after booting it now returns 'couldn't allocate runtime area..'

after booting it now returns 'couldn't allocate runtime area..'
Hi,
be patient and restart your computer so many times until you can boot. It will finally succeed.
I think Hard Drive is not an issue here. I have the same problem like you.
Today I connected another SSD (as the only one), and started the installation from scratch.
Same again: Already during installation, after reboot, when in Clover you have to select HDD for the first time to continue the installation (right before the Welcome screen, where you have to choose the country), I also had the same error. I restarted several times and finally the installation continued, showing the Welcome screen.
Today I also upgraded the bios to version 074 but it has changed nothing.

EDIT:
I downgraded BIOS to 071 - still nothing.

Last edited:
Hey man.. I have a clean bootable macos mojava usb drive with the EFI folder from #901. I've also set all the bios settings accordingly but no luck..

I bought a 1TB samsung 960evo which I formatted as AFPS during the first time I could get into the macos installer. However after booting it now returns 'couldn't allocate runtime area..'
I have my main install on a 2.5" Crucial SSD. I have my windows install on the Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVME M.2 drive but going to swap that today. I'll do a clean install to the Samsung M.2 drive today. I'll clone my install to the SSD first to see if it boots. I'll then WIPE it and install to apfs formatted mojave to see what the problems might be. That will tell iff it is the M.2 drive

So I just cloned my Crucial 2.5" SATA SSD to the Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 drive and it is running fine with the EFI folder from post #901.

How did you set up your USB installer. I followed a guide where I formatted my Mojave installer as one GPT. That then made two partitions one with EFI partition and one for the Mojave installer. While the EFI USB partition was mounted I copied post 901 EFI folder too it and used the guide to put Mojave installer to the larger journaled formated partition.

The only thing that is different is the files in post 901 were updated a few days ago which updated clover and drivers for Mojave 10.14.6. So I have not done a clean install with the latest EFI folder.

I'll try later on today if I get time to see if it works or gives runtime error you get to help.

Hi,
be patient and restart your computer so many times until you can boot. It will finally succeed.
I think Hard Drive is not an issue here. I have the same problem like you.
Today I connected another SSD (as the only one), and started the installation from scratch.
Same again: after reboot, when in Clover you have to select HDD for the first time to continue the installation (right before the Welcome screen, where you have to choose the country), I also had the same error. I restarted several times and finally the installation continued, showing the Welcome screen.
Today I also upgraded the bios to version 074 but it has changed nothing.

EDIT:
I downgraded BIOS to 071 - still nothing.
So is your install working fine now. I know I had to restart a few times too as I got black screen when I did my install a week or so too and it eventually finished.

So is your install working fine now.
No, I still struggle with this "couldn't allocate runtime area" problem. Except that system works well (once you are able to start it). It seems that only HedgeHog2k and I have this problem. Other people here with NUC8 report proper startup.

Back