Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
Android
Just to be clear, the latest Clover with the latest BIOS will run Mojave 10.14.5?
Yes, if you also update your config.plist to include the RTC fix that is mentioned several times in this thread.

Motherboard
Intel NUC 7i5BNK
CPU
i5-7260U
Graphics
Iris Plus 640
Mobile Phone
iOS
Yes, if you also update your config.plist to include the RTC fix that is mentioned several times in this thread.
The latest bios seems to be 79 for the Nuc7. I'm on 72, but I also haven't tried a new one like 78 oder 79. I'm curious to know if someone is on a higher bios version.

Greetings
schlotterp

Attachments

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
Android
To new users trying to load Mojave on an NUC8x please be aware this guide is no longer being maintained.
With recent bios updates being pushed out by Intel above version 56 as well as updates by Apple to Mojave beyond 14.2 the guide has become outdated and no longer works as is.

Two additional things are needed at a minimum to be able to reach the Mojave install window.

1. An updated version of the Clover bootloader must be installed, I suggest version 4290 or higher, although slightly older versions will probably work but have not been tested. Rehabman’s version available through the terminal commands in his original guide on Github will cause the installer to halt.

2. An updated config.plist containing an ACPI/DSDT/Patch for an RTC issue that will also cause the installer to stall if your bios is a version higher than 56

***Some users are also apparently unaware that their Samsung 970 EVO plus SSD will also cause install failure if the firmware is not updated first. Visit the Samsung Website for instructions on how to create a bootable USB drive for firmware updates.

The attached EFI folder has all of the above as well as some fixes for onboard Audio and USB C functionality.

If you decide to use it it’s as simple as creating a bootable USB drive using UniBeast and then replacing the EFI folder with the attached.

Once Mojave install is complete and you have then installed an updated version of Clover to your hard drive replace the EFI folder on your hard drive with the same attached folder to finish the job. Afterwards I highly suggest you use Clover Configurator to create a unique serial number (although “continuity” is not an issue unless you have gone the route of adding a Wireless/ Bluetooth card in the one available M2 slot with the appropriate adapter mentioned in various NUC posts). Cheers
Updated EFI with Clover Version 4945

Attachments

Last edited:
Motherboard
Intel NUC NUC7i3BNH
CPU
i3-7100U
Graphics
HD620
The latest bios seems to be 79 for the Nuc7. I'm on 72, but I also haven't tried a new one like 78 oder 79. I'm curious to know if someone is on a higher bios version.

Greetings
schlotterp
I have 79 bios. Installed last Clover. I do not use ssdt tables. Just a small change in the standard config.plist and put the necessary kexts

Motherboard
Intel NUC 7i5BNK
CPU
i5-7260U
Graphics
Iris Plus 640
Mobile Phone
iOS
I have 79 bios. Installed last Clover. I do not use ssdt tables. Just a small change in the standard config.plist and put the necessary kexts
Could you give me a hint for which kexts are needed and what changes have to happen in the config.plist?

Thanks in advance.

Greetings
schlotterp

Motherboard
Intel NUC8i7BEH-71
CPU
i7
Graphics
Iris Plus 655
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
@Leesureone because the newer NUC are shipped with a BIOS> = 71, we can open another topic for the newer NUC8i7BEH2, NUC8i5BEH and NUC8i3BEH?
Apparently the 970 Evo Plus also runs only with the BIOS 71.

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
Android
@Leesureone because the newer NUC are shipped with a BIOS> = 71, we can open another topic for the newer NUC8i7BEH2, NUC8i5BEH and NUC8i3BEH?
Apparently the 970 Evo Plus also runs only with the BIOS 71.
I thought about creating another guide but decided instead to do post #903. There are already five or six different threads that deal with NUCs on this site and I don't know how many more on other sites. Most of them have less traffic than this one or the one created by @Cric [Guide] Installing macOS Mojave (10.14.2) on Intel NUCi5BEH using Clover UEFI.
People will still try to use this guide regardless of whatever new thread I start so I thought it was better to just help get people going in the right direction instead (being no one seems to read the follow up postings other users write that would help them, it tends to be the same issues over and over). You won't get to learn as much about creating the boot media, installing Clover, Drivers and Kexts as Rehabman's guide provides but I don't have the experience to recreate what he did to support the changes that now makes it outdated. Hope that makes sense.

Also anyone with a Samsung 970 Evo Plus just has to update the firmware to the latest version, I forget what number it is but it was just released in May I believe. Its not bios dependent on any motherboard I am aware of.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Intel NUC 7i5BNK
CPU
i5-7260U
Graphics
Iris Plus 640
Mobile Phone
iOS
Off topic, I tried your config file (of course with a unstable result and randomly crashes). But you have managed to get the internal mics running, which is a surprise to me. I looked at the settings you have set under devices but with my configured configuration file (adapted to yours, injection 11 and so on) I was not successful. I also looked closely at your kext files but wasn’t lucky to get the mics running on my setup like they worked on yours.

Greetings
schlotterp

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
Android
Off topic, I tried your config file (of course with a unstable result and randomly crashes). But you have managed to get the internal mics running, which is a surprise to me. I looked at the settings you have set under devices but with my configured configuration file (adapted to yours, injection 11 and so on) I was not successful. I also looked closely at your kext files but wasn’t lucky to get the mics running on my setup like they worked on yours.

Greetings
schlotterp
I don't have an NUC7 to test on and so can't really comment.