Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

Hi everyone, thanks for all your input and feedback, I've been reading your replies with attention. Warm thanks again to RehabMan for sharing his work, early on!

With the update of Mojave 10.14.4 available on Monday, I decided to risk and do an exercise, as the NUC8i7BEH (or BEH2? not sure) that I have, is still under "setup mode" and experimentation for learning.

I hope I can get @RehabMan to comments on this, I know he's busy, but it's an interesting find.

So I was OK under the setup of RehabMan's repo and code; I had changed from his iMac16,2 to Macmini8,1 to see what happens with CPU power management, last week. I saw spikes that I didn't understand in Intel Power Gadget (latest=v3.5.5) while monitoring "idle".

This Monday, I updated to 10.14.4 without hiccups. Rebooted like 3 times. Using NUC8i7BEH with 2x8GB HyperX RAM and a test Kingston SSD 128GB. No NVME yet (I see the 970 EVOs are disappearing and getting expensive, whie Plus is staying; got to get my hands on one, fast).

BIOS was thankfully downgraded last month to v56 after catastrophic update to v64. But I read v66 or newer works again, please confirm?

So I decided -for learning- to remove all kexts, all Clover stuff (including all AMLs from patched folder) and make it totally vanilla. Guess what? With 2 kexts and basic Clover config.plist, the system boots, is fast and with a surprise. No audio installed yet, all WiFi/BT/SD-Reader internally disabled etc. Don't have Thunderbolt to test, set it to "Legacy" in BIOS as advised in another NUC forum.

So I removed everything and left the following:

The needed LAN driver IntelMausiEthernet.kext and plain FakeSMC.kext (no plugins) to /Library/Extensions/ and a basic config.plist (including renames of devices) in Clover EFI. For kexts in Clover, just left a copy of FakeSMC to be sure I can boot. Rebooted system. Seems the Intel 655 Iris is now natively detected, did not need Lilu or WhateveGreen kexts!

I ran Geekbench... the IGPU scored 55402! CPU was around 19820. On Idle, temps are around 37-38ºC

The moment I installed Lilu.kext v1.3.5 and the just released WhateverGreen.kext v1.2.7 and rebooted, the Geekbench for IGPU (without any modifications to config.plist, just let it auto-detect) fell to 34532!

I still have to keep adding stuff up to get HDMI and Realtek audio via FakePCIIDs but so far, system is amazing stable.

-No sudden reboots after 10-15 minutes.
-Still under Clover_v2.4k_r4895 and SMBIOS as Macmini8,1.
-On 10.14.4, the 300-series SATA is still not recognised, shows "Generic".
-Booting again gets stuck mid-way, with a seemingly pause, I just don't get it. High Sierra is so much better.
-The HDD LED, despite set active in BIOS, just works intermittently. What the heck.
-USB ports in IORegistryExporer are all shown, no evident need for USBInjectAll (yet). BIOS at default settings for USB.
-Without WhateverGreen, I get a temporary pink flash when booting switches resolutions prior to entering Desktop, while with WhateverGreen 1.2.7 this doesn't happen.

What I must be sure of, is to get audio via FakePCIIDs and FakePCIIDs_HDMI to be injected, will gradually add them as at some point I had the “sudden reboot” and need to find the culprit.

BIOS settings are basic as mentioned in the thread (after defaults) I even removed "Legacy Boot" to test behaviour (and now still without Legacy Boot).

What I would like to get, and did not have even with RehabMan's code/files, is the HWMonitor.app stuff, proper temperatures, fan speeds etc. Not sure if the available old FakeSMC plugins work with this hardware :(

So for Audio, as a next step, need Lilu.kext and AppleALC.kext for detecting Realtek and FakePCIIDs and FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio kexts for HDMI audio. On my hardware, Audio ID=28 worked.

Will report back, but this is an interesting find. WhateverGreen slows down the IGPU... I have no idea why.

P.S. GPU Acceleration seems active, but playing YouTube HD video on Safari (while running Intel's Power Gadget to see IGPU behaviour) showed issues on Safari and LIVE streams. Recorded ones played fine. Probably a DRM issue already reported somewhere.

On Chrome v73, France24 or SkyNews both HD Live, for example, started straight away, while Safari was keeping trying all the time...

Hope RehabMan can comment on these findings, I post the config just to show it's plain...

Here's the detected hardware via lspci -nn command:
Code:
00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation 8th Gen Core Processor Host Bridge/DRAM Registers [8086:3ed0] (rev 08)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Iris Plus Graphics 655 [8086:3ea5] (rev 01)
00:08.0 System peripheral [0880]: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v5/v6 / E3-1500 v5 / 6th/7th Gen Core Processor Gaussian Mixture Model [8086:1911]
00:12.0 Signal processing controller [1180]: Intel Corporation Cannon Point-LP Thermal Controller [8086:9df9] (rev 30)
00:14.0 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation Cannon Point-LP USB 3.1 xHCI Controller [8086:9ded] (rev 30)
00:14.2 RAM memory [0500]: Intel Corporation Cannon Point-LP Shared SRAM [8086:9def] (rev 30)
00:14.3 Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation Cannon Point-LP CNVi [Wireless-AC] [8086:9df0] (rev 30)
00:16.0 Communication controller [0780]: Intel Corporation Cannon Point-LP MEI Controller #1 [8086:9de0] (rev 30)
00:17.0 SATA controller [0106]: Intel Corporation Cannon Point-LP SATA Controller [AHCI Mode] [8086:9dd3] (rev 30)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Cannon Point-LP PCI Express Root Port #1 [8086:9db8] (rev f0)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Cannon Point-LP PCI Express Root Port #5 [8086:9dbc] (rev f0)
00:1d.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Cannon Point-LP PCI Express Root Port #9 [8086:9db0] (rev f0)
00:1d.6 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Cannon Point-LP PCI Express Root Port #15 [8086:9db6] (rev f0)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation Cannon Point-LP LPC Controller [8086:9d84] (rev 30)
00:1f.3 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation Cannon Point-LP High Definition Audio Controller [8086:9dc8] (rev 30)
00:1f.4 SMBus [0c05]: Intel Corporation Cannon Point-LP SMBus Controller [8086:9da3] (rev 30)
00:1f.5 Serial bus controller [0c80]: Intel Corporation Cannon Point-LP SPI Controller [8086:9da4] (rev 30)
00:1f.6 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (6) I219-V [8086:15be] (rev 30)
01:00.0 Unassigned class [ff00]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTS522A PCI Express Card Reader [10ec:522a] (rev 01)

UPDATE: With the addition in Clover's config of Intel IGPU simple injection of <string>0x3EA50000</string> in order to get the "ig-platform-id" now shown the IORegistry (quickly done via Clover Configurator) the Geekbench remains the same result at 55549...

Attachments

• mine-mini.plist
    4.5 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
Hi konsti, Would you please to share your EFI folder, that would be a great help to test your amazing setting.

Hi @boasu, there is nothing special at all in the EFI folder. The basic xxxx-64.efi stuff mentioned in the thread, and the config posted earlier.

But I will do something better for you, I will restart it all, download the 10.14.4 Installer.app, make a boot-USB, wipe clean the SSD (via PartedMagic) and install it again. As said, just IntelMausi, FakeSMC and basic Clover onfig.plist should do the trick.

I will keep (and post) a diary of the phases of stuff added later, e.g. SATA unsupported, audio (if successful). Give me until Sunday, I want to do that so @RehabMan can have a say, too :D

Hi,

Someone can I help me to know if accelerated graphics are enabled? I have an Intel NUC7i3BNH with a Intel HD Graphics 620 1536 MB.

Regards,

Hi,

Someone can I help me to know if accelerated graphics are enabled? I have an Intel NUC7i3BNH with a Intel HD Graphics 620 1536 MB.

Regards,

This post was talks about checking for it in Sierra but as I understand its still a valid method for Mojave as well.

Has anyone been able to get the Wifi to work on the NUC 7?
Not with the intel built in wireless. Do a search of this forum for some other info on the subject.

Back