Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

Hey buddy I'm stuck can you help me out on 10.15.4 on the second boot it get stuck on the apple logo..
thank...
Kudos for your calm and measured responses, Leesureone. I can learn something from you. I'm one of those guys who would get upset if I got buddied up all the time... :)

Hi PeteA. Did you update anything before trying to go to 10.15.4? Tips on the homepage recommend the latest version of Clover which I installed and updated my EFI folder on page 90 with a couple day ago. It should allow you to finish the install, if needed you can load it onto your USB boot drive and boot that way

Hi No. Can I use this for a clean install from the USB will it work..

Hi PeteA. Did you update anything before trying to go to 10.15.4? Tips on the homepage recommend the latest version of Clover which I installed and updated my EFI folder on page 90 with a couple day ago. It should allow you to finish the install, if needed you can load it onto your USB boot drive and boot that way

I tried install it and it got stuck on at the last screen the apple logo was stretched maybe the Intel Iris 655 graphic card.. thank.. buddy

To new users trying to load Mojave or Catalina on an NUC8x please be aware this guide is no longer being maintained.
With recent bios updates being pushed out by Intel above version 56 as well as updates by Apple to Mojave beyond 14.2 the guide has become outdated and no longer works as is.

Two additional things are needed at a minimum to be able to reach the Mojave or Catalina install window.

1. An updated version of the Clover bootloader must be installed, I suggest version 5107 or higher, although slightly older versions will probably work but have not been tested. Rehabman’s version available through the terminal commands in his original guide on Github will cause the installer to halt.

2. An updated config.plist containing an ACPI/DSDT/Patch for an RTC issue that will also cause the installer to stall if your bios is a version higher than 56

***Some users are also apparently unaware that their Samsung 970 EVO plus SSD will also cause install failure if the firmware is not updated first. Visit the Samsung Website for instructions on how to create a bootable USB drive for firmware updates.

The attached EFI folder has all of the above as well as some fixes for onboard Audio and USB C functionality and Bluetooth.

If you decide to use it it’s as simple as creating a bootable USB drive using UniBeast, mounting the invisible EFI partition on the USB drive and then replacing the EFI folder with the attached.

Once OSX install is complete repeat the process of mounting the EFI folder on your hard drive and again replace the EFI folder with the same attached folder to finish the job. Afterwards I highly suggest you use Clover Configurator to create a unique serial number for working iCloud and iMessage (although “continuity” is not an issue unless you have gone the route of adding a Wireless/ Bluetooth card in the one available M2 slot with the appropriate adapter mentioned in various NUC posts).
Being you are creating a Hackintosh be aware even if you have the exact same model there can be issues. I do not have all the answers and am not at the level of the moderators but will try to help you sort out whatever. Cheers and good luck.

Edit: If you are installing Mojave and have issues with crackling sound from the headphone jack several users have reported success installing all kexts, with the exception of FakeSMC.kext, to the Library/Extensions folder. Audio over HDMI and the headphone jack both should work. This will not work in Catalina.

EFI History
Updated NUC8EFICatClover and EFINUC7Cat15.4 with Clover Version 5107, Catalina 10.15.4 Ready 3/27/20
Also Added Updated OpenCore 5.6
3/23/20 Added Intel Bluetooth kext to both OC and Clover Versions

I noticed you add this IntelBluetoothFirmware.kext

I tried install it and it got stuck on at the last screen the apple logo was stretched maybe the Intel Iris 655 graphic card.. thank.. buddy
Are you using OpenCore of Clover? Last we spoke you were on OpenCore, I don't know why it isn't working for you without more information as it updated perfectly for me. You can boot in verbose mode with both boot loaders and take a photo and post it. Maybe I can help you then.

Are you using OpenCore of Clover? Last we spoke you were on OpenCore, I don't know why it isn't working for you without more information as it updated perfectly for me. You can boot in verbose mode with both boot loaders and take a photo and post it. Maybe I can help you then.
For my USB installer I am using Clover.. thank.. Again I dont't know what happened to my machine When I install the USB and push F10 I don't see the USB something must've happened on f10 it shows Mac osx for some reason I tried to clear the Bios...

Last edited:
For my USB installer I am using Clover.. thank.. Again I dont't know what happened to my machine When I install the USB and push F10 I don't see the USB something must've happened on f10 it shows Mac osx for some reason I tried to clear the Bios...
Sounds like you didn't get the USB drive set up correctly, nothing for it to find in the EFI Folder. Start over.

Any luck? I'll try and update my NUC7 later today and see if I run into any issues and report back.
You've probably moved on at this point, but thought I would let you know that updating the kexts worked. Upgraded fine to 10.15.4 now. Thanks for everyone's help!

You've probably moved on at this point, but thought I would let you know that updating the kexts worked. Upgraded fine to 10.15.4 now. Thanks for everyone's help!
Hey, that’s great @bitbass. For anyone else I updated the EFI folders on page 90 a few days ago to Clover 5017 and the latest kext versions.

OK! If I stay with Mojave and Clover, the original RehabMan guide moves many non-Apple (hackintosh) kexts to L/E/ but I have heard mixed reports about keeping all items in Clover/Other instead.
Is it better to use kexts in Clover/Other instead and just inject them? I have 16GB of RAM so it should be no problem to keep them just injected right?
(looking at that HaC mini guide and using the install files, here is the OC kext folder)

Thoughts?
[/QUOTE]
Yes, delete all kexts in L\E and rebuild the kextcache, you can't skip the second step or it will remember the kexts and load them. In terminal type "sudo kextcache -I /" then when prompted enter your password.

As to the kexts those look fine but those don't matter if the cards performance is flaky. Time to buy better hardware.

Back