Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Intel HD Graphics 5500 on OS X Yosemite 10.10.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try 64MB DVMT-prealloc.

Also, try different ig-platform-id values (0x16160002, 0x16260006, etc.).

Also, get rid of the assertion patch for the framebuffer kext.

Changing DVMT-prealloc doesn't affect anything, still got blank screen,
except when I set it to 32MB, when booting process I got restart issue.
So I change it back to 64MB.

And... unfortunately, I'm accidentally broke my osx harddrive partition, so I'm trying to install 10.10.3 instead 10.0.4

Based on framebuffer data from here: http://www.firewolf.science/2015/04...from-appleintelbdwgraphicsframebuffer-binary/
the ig-platform-id values for my ihd5500 is 0x16160000 or 0x1616002
The strange is, when I set to that two value, I got blank screen issue,
but when I set the value other than that two value, i.e. 0x16160001, 0x16160003, or any value, I can boot into yosemite, but the mouse movement is laggy.
:crazy:

I think it happen because when I set to that two value, os will load driver for my ihd5500, but when I set to other than that two values, os will load basic video driver.
Correct me if I'm wrong...

Did you remove the assertion patch?

And... unfortunately, I'm accidentally broke my osx harddrive partition, so I'm trying to install 10.10.3 instead 10.0.4

Based on framebuffer data from here: http://www.firewolf.science/2015/04...from-appleintelbdwgraphicsframebuffer-binary/

ig-platform-id values have nothing to do with the device in use.
They have to do with connector/BIOS configuration.

Try other valid values. You need to extract the values from the kext if you want to know which ones are valid.

but when I set the value other than that two value, i.e. 0x16160001, 0x16160003, or any value, I can boot into yosemite, but the mouse movement is laggy.

If you use an invalid value, the drivers won't load... you'll get VESA drivers.

I think it happen because when I set to that two value, os will load driver for my ihd5500, but when I set to other than that two values, os will load basic video driver.
Correct me if I'm wrong...

You are getting a blank screen because you are getting a kernal panic due to the wrong DVMT setting... Boot up using the -v boot flag..

Use AIDA64 to determine what your DVMT is set at. In my case when looking under the windows adapter information it reported the dedicated memory of 128, which was incorrect and was causing me the blank screen (kernel panic). In AIDA64 look under Display->GPU, Utilization, Dedicated memory.

If Dedicated Video Memory = 0MB, then DVMT pre-allocated memory in BIOS settings is 32MB.
If Dedicated Video Memory = 32MB, then DVMT pre-allocated memory in BIOS settings is 64MB.
If Dedicated Video Memory = 64MB, then DVMT pre-allocated memory in BIOS settings is 96MB.
If Dedicated Video Memory = 128MB, then DVMT pre-allocated memory in BIOS settings is 128MB.

Did you remove the assertion patch?
Did you mean, don't use pathced AppleIntelBDWGraphicsFramebuffer kext like @Austere.J mean on first post Step 2.1?
No, I didn't do that, I just using original kext, no patched kext at all.

Or, did you mean don't use KernelAndKextPatches in clover's config.plist?
I've do that, remove all KernelAndKextPatches config in config.plist, but stil got blank screen.
Tried to boot with flag -v -f and no kernel caches, stil got blank screen.

ig-platform-id values have nothing to do with the device in use.
They have to do with connector/BIOS configuration.

Try other valid values. You need to extract the values from the kext if you want to know which ones are valid.

If you use an invalid value, the drivers won't load... you'll get VESA drivers.
ooo....
thank you for your information :thumbup:
So I can use another valid ig-platform-id values that supported by apple's kext, right?
I'll try it...

You are getting a blank screen because you are getting a kernal panic due to the wrong DVMT setting... Boot up using the -v boot flag..

Use AIDA64 to determine what your DVMT is set at. In my case when looking under the windows adapter information it reported the dedicated memory of 128, which was incorrect and was causing me the blank screen (kernel panic). In AIDA64 look under Display->GPU, Utilization, Dedicated memory.

If Dedicated Video Memory = 0MB, then DVMT pre-allocated memory in BIOS settings is 32MB.
If Dedicated Video Memory = 32MB, then DVMT pre-allocated memory in BIOS settings is 64MB.
If Dedicated Video Memory = 64MB, then DVMT pre-allocated memory in BIOS settings is 96MB.
If Dedicated Video Memory = 128MB, then DVMT pre-allocated memory in BIOS settings is 128MB.

Here's the screenshoot of my graphic properties both from Aida and Windows
ded_vid_mem.JPG

Strange, I'd tried to change the DVMT's value in my BIOS, from 32MB until 512MB, but the Dedicated Memory shown in Aida stil in 12MB o_O
Do you have any idea?

Edit:
Also I'd tried to boot with verbose mode.
It shows that IGPU wash successfully loaded with 3D accell, but when DSMOS whas arrived, the screen goes blank...

Hi, I was wrong, it's running native 3200x1800 :)

However, yesterday I was still experiencing some freezing problems. few minutes after start, osx just froze. I tried few other versions of fakesmc as suggested, but it didn't help. Then I changed the DVMT few times, and after last change to 96mb, my dell was bricked. I always checked 2-3 times if the setup_var command is written correctly, so I don't know what happend, it was just bricked.

Today I got brand new xps13 replacement and I decided to do NOT any BIOS modifications, just disabled secure boot and enabled legacy support. And guess what, after patching the AppleIntelBDWGraphicsFramebuffer (Find 39CF763C and replace it with 39CF773C) it started without any problems! And no freezing issues (got it running a few hours).

Hi, could you detail the exact method you used to install OSX via Clover on your XPS 13? I can apply the necessary patches and such no problem but there's no concrete information out there for this model as far as installation goes. I don't need super precise details or anything, just a general clarification on things to skip / add on to the generic Yosemite laptop guide.

So as to not send this thread off topic, maybe it would be best to post a thread on the Yosemite Laptop support subforum, if you'd be comfortable with that.

It would be much appreciated, thank you.

Hi @RehabMan, as your suggestion to change the ig-platform-id to some valid value, now I can boot the yosemite, thank you :)
qe/ci work flawlesly, and the idh5500 was detected properly by yosemite.

But... I can it boot in really strange way...

When boot it (in both in normal or verbose mode), when DSMOS arrived, it will get into blank screen, like my issue before. To turn on my display I must wait in some time, about 15second maybe, and after that, I must press the power button, twice, to turn on the display...
If I didn't do that, it still stuck in blank screen.

I think I must go into sleep mode by pressing the power button, and then go into normal mode by pressing the power button again. But, I didn't have the sleep feature useable right now because I can't sleep my laptop.

Do you have any idea?

Really thank to you, RehabMan, and other people, who'd helped me :thumbup:

Hi @RehabMan, as your suggestion to change the ig-platform-id to some valid value, now I can boot the yosemite, thank you :)
qe/ci work flawlesly, and the idh5500 was detected properly by yosemite.

But... I can it boot in really strange way...

When boot it (in both in normal or verbose mode), when DSMOS arrived, it will get into blank screen, like my issue before. To turn on my display I must wait in some time, about 15second maybe, and after that, I must press the power button, twice, to turn on the display...
If I didn't do that, it still stuck in blank screen.

The power button (first time) will invoke display sleep. Second time will wake.

Try implementing backlight control: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...ching-dsdt-ssdt-laptop-backlight-control.html

Also which ig-platform-id are you using?

ok, I'll try that..

I'm using 0x162b0004,
based on Austere.J's blog, that id was used on Broadwell GT3 (MacBook Pro) (Intel Iris Graphics 6100)

Try 0x16260006.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back