GeForce GTX 460
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi Folks,
I have two ASRock S1156 mainboards (P55 Extreme and H55M). Usually they are nice, stable and cheap, but with ML - like some of you too - i struggled with the installation. Here is a very easy guide to get ML running flawlessly (except sleep, which I don't use and never cared about)

All in all the installation is like tonymac said:

1. Create a USB stick with Unibeast 1.5.x (I think I used 1.5.1)

2. Boot from USB

3. At the bootloader screen choose the USB stick and type in the flag "PCIRootUID=0" (without the quotation marks). This is the only flag you should need, at least for 1156 socket boards. Others I can't tell.

4. If you get to the installation screen your're lucky and can proceed with 8.

5. If your system reboots without giving a real error before reaching the ML installer (if you boot with -v, you can see this will happen right after loading the kexts) then do the following:

6. Reboot to your BIOS, go to "Advanced"->"CPU configuration" and change the entry "No-Execute Memory Protection" (it's a yes/no dialogue). Save and exit.

7. Begin again at 2.

8. After the installation the system want's to reboot, choose USB stick again as bootdrive but now on the bootloader choose the partition you installed ML on and type again "PCIRootUID=0"

9. Continue the setup steps, when on the desktop, install MultiBeast with EasyBeast option and your appropriate audio kext (I tried some voodoo kexts, one worked for me) the rest should work out of the box.

10. Change the org.chameleon.Boot.plist in /Extra by adding "PCIRootUID=0" (again no marks please) to the Kernel-Flags string.

11. You're done :)

Possible problems:
I had a new USB stick which seems to be a non-bootable stick. It gave me an error before even loading the bootloader. Using an older stick solved the problem.
I tried to migrate my old Lion installation to ML. Unfortunately I have hidden 32bit kexts or whatever in it, causing ML to crash. If you used SL or Lion before in 32bit mode (using "arch=i386" flag) better don't migrate your system and do a clean install.

The systems on which I installed ML successfully are:

CPU: i3-530
MB: ASRock H55M
RAM: 4GB
GPU: GeForce 8800GTS 512MB
HDD: Kingston V200 SSD 128GB

CPU: i5-750
MB: ASRock P55 Extreme
RAM: 4GB
GPU: GeForce GTX 460 768MB
HHD: WD Raptor 175GB

Hope this helps

Alex

Thank you!!!!

Even though I ordered new parts for a new build I still wanted to repurpose my i3 and ASROCK H55M.

I'll try this tonight. I only have an nvidia 430gt and an ATI 6350 though. Not sure if those will work.

I heard some having trouble with the Radoen 6000 series drivers in ML. The Geforce though should work, my 460 is recognized oob now in ML :)

Good luck.

I'm so glad I found this while searching to see if I needed anything for my audio - saved me a lot of frustration if the troubleshooting is as hard as the last time I tried using my p55 extreme for 10.6

by the powers vested in me by no one i now pronounce you NOOB AlexEightySix iGenius.

you solved my worth nightmare.
many many thanks.

OK. You are a a genius. i love you man!
Thanks for your guide, it fitsme perfefects.
this was is my problem for about a week..

when i boot up my computer with the flashdrive in, it bring up the unibeast HUD, then i hit enter on the apple logo like it says to, then i get a black screen then it reboots my computer.....

TY from argentina

6. Reboot to your BIOS, go to "Advanced"->"CPU configuration" and change the entry "No-Execute Memory Protection" (it's a yes/no dialogue). Save and exit.

This is what was wrong with mine! I don't think I would have found this otherwise! Setup was a breeze after, thanks!

To clear up one point of possible confusion for anyone, on my Asrock P55 Extreme, the "No-Execute Memory Protection" setting had an Enable / Disable option. I previously had it disabled. Setting it to "Enable" is what finally allowed Mountain Lion's setup to boot!

This is what was wrong with mine! I don't think I would have found this otherwise! Setup was a breeze after, thanks!

To clear up one point of possible confusion for anyone, on my Asrock P55 Extreme, the "No-Execute Memory Protection" setting had an Enable / Disable option. I previously had it disabled. Setting it to "Enable" is what finally allowed Mountain Lion's setup to boot!

I know this is old, but wanted to +1 this because the same thing happened with my board (except it's a P55 Pro (Not USB 3.0) MB)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back