Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra on the HP 8300 Elite / 6300 Pro Desktop PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
By default /system is excluded in Spotlight searches. I’m not sure what else is, the most relevant hit when I Googled it was for 10.4 Tiger.
That is because Apple doesn't want the average Mac user to go into /S/L/E primarily and randomly delete or move kexts that are essential to a working system. Would create nightmares for their Apple support people to help them via the phone or online.

I just finished it now. It works just fine. I get a bit hissing background sound from headphone jack connected speaker. But it might be because of the speaker or cable connection. Computer's internal speaker now much louder.

That is because Apple doesn't want the average Mac user to go into /S/L/E primarily and randomly delete or move kexts that are essential to a working system. Would create nightmares for their Apple support people to help them via the phone or online.
Of course. That was for Daneland who couldn’t find a kext, and had mentioned using Spotlight.

All right, trs96, first of all thank you for your guide - analogue works perfectly, i owe you a drink.
Quick question - is it possible to get HDMI audio output with a 730 card without ruining what works? Or is it not worth the bother?
Thank you once more, what runs now works.

All right, trs96, first of all thank you for your guide - analogue works perfectly, i owe you a drink.
Quick question - is it possible to get HDMI audio output with a 730 card without ruining what works? Or is it not worth the bother?
Thank you once more, what runs now works.
Are you on 10.13.4 or something older ?

It all depends on whether support for that GPU gets added to the AppleALC kext, then of course you have to install that newer version of AppleALC to your /Library/Extensions folder.

If you are happy with ALC221 from your headphone and line out jacks, just stay with that for now and worry about HDMI later on.

Last edited:
Flickering is fixed. I had put all of my kexts into Clover->kexts->Other originally. Put them into Library->Extensions and the flickering went away. Reenabled graphics acceleration too without issue. Must be FakePCIID.kext or another wasn't loading. Next time there is an issue should use kextstat to verify what kext is loaded.

Thanks BenTheJeepGuy and trs96 you guys rock

I was wrong about the fix above. Now it is finally fixed. It had to do with Intel MEI. I disabled AMT in the BIOS but should not have. The information that allowed me to fix it was from Rehabman at

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-ci-not-loading-when-it-feels-like-it.238836/

My issue was intermittent too so I was incorrectly correlating all kinds of unrelated things to the issue. My boot log now as 8086:1e3a.

Problem solved.

On to the next thing.

So here's my story:

Last weekend, while helping a friend clear out of a rental storage facility, I noticed he had an HP 8300 gathering dust. He bought it at a surplus property sale at the university he worked at. He thinks he paid $100 for it. He said I could have it because I'm always helping him out.

After a quick google search for specs, I found it was very "Hackintoshable". I've built several Hackintoshes in the past, but haven't played with any since 2010. My how things have changed....it so much easier now.

Anyway here are the specs:

HP 8300 Convertible MiniTower
Core i7-2600 3.4 GHz
16GB RAM
2 terabyte harddrive
GT 630 graphics card with 2GB video RAM. (two DisplayPort, one DVI)

The only things I bought for it so far is 128 GB SSD and a Displayport to HDMI adapter.

Install Process:

I pretty much followed the video guide on this thread. Originally I wanted keep the SSD formatted to HFS+ rather than APFS, using the No-Convert script. Several hours later, I had several failed attempts...each resulting in the spinning pinwheel of death at the initialization part where you choose your country.

After those failed attempts, I decided to let the conversion to APFS happen. Voila! It pretty much installed just like in the video guide.

Things I don't care about and won't bother to fix:
iMessage, Facetime, Handoff & Continuity

Things I want to resolve:
Airdrop, Sound through HDMI

I assume Airdrop needs bluetooth or wifi, so I suppose I'll have to buy something for that.

Anyway, that's all I can think of for now.

Thanks for this guide.

Last edited:
So here's my story:

Last weekend, while helping a friend clear out of a rental storage facility, I noticed he had an HP 8300 gathering dust. He bought it at a surplus property sale at the university he worked at. He thinks he paid $100 for it. He said I could have it because I'm always helping him out.

After a quick google search for specs, I found it was very "Hackintoshable". I've built several Hackintoshes in the past, but haven't played with any since 2010. My how things have changed....it so much easier now.

I pretty much followed the video guide on this thread. Originally I wanted keep the SSD formatted to HFS+ rather than APFS, using the No-Convert script. Several hours later, I had several failed attempts...each resulting in the spinning pinwheel of death at the initialization part where you choose your country.

After those failed attempts, I decided to let the conversion to APFS happen. Voila! It pretty much installed just like in the video guide.

Things I don't care about and won't bother to fix:
iMessage, Facetime, Handoff & Continuity

Things I want to resolve:
Airdrop, Sound through HDMI

I assume Airdrop needs bluetooth or wifi, so I suppose I'll have to buy something for that.

Anyway, that's all I can think of for now.

Thanks for this guide.

That was easy ! None of the software tools like Unibeast or even the HP 8300 with UEFI existed back in 2010. You had to work much harder for a working hackintosh back then. Airdrop usually works with any kind of working wifi. For HDMI audio you can try voodooHDA 2.9.0 as per the guide if you haven't already. Other than that you'd probably need the AppleALC and Lilu kext method and a few DSDT edits.

Last edited:
Hi I was wondering where can i find Hight Sierra full install download link

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back