Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install Catalina on the Dell Optiplex 7010 and 9010 Desktop PC

Hi Folks,

Install went beautifully and everything seems fine except for one little problem; with the BIOS options selected as suggested in the videos/docs (UEFI and BIOS, legacy oprom support off), I cannot see the DELL splash screen and Clover GUI. I can tell based on the keyboard flicker that its reached Clover and I hit enter because the only boot option I have is my Catalina SSD and it boots into Catalina fine (typing this right in now in the booted OS). However, if I go into the BIOS and enable legacy oprom support, I can see the DELL splash and and Clover GUI. Then I hit 'enter' on my Catalina SSD boot option and the Apple logo and progress bar proceed to chug along til about halfway and then the screen goes black.

TL;DR Legacy oprom support = no (cant see splash and clover gui, but Mac OS loads fine and is usable after)
Legacy oprom support = yes (CAN see splash and clover gui, but after Apple logo loading bar is halfway, screen goes black)

I hope someone has come across this problem before, any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you for reading.

EDIT: I see @RocketLunatic had the same issue as me earlier in this thread, if you found a fix let me know brotha.
Same problem. Are you fixed it?

Look at this case modded 7010 with RGB lighting. It's sold by Blair technology group.

1653566496474.png

You can buy these or just look at the pics on Newegg. Not sure if you can actually see through the side window. It is the first Dell Optiplex I've ever seen that you can buy with RGB lighting pre-installed. It does make it much more expensive but if you're into PC gaming and have to have RGB it might be worth it to you. Install a LP Visiontek RX 560 and you could game with it and/or install Big Sur to have a macOS dual boot.

https://www.newegg.com/p/1VK-0001-5ZZH3?Item=9SIADGYH0U5204

1653566845852.jpeg

There is another version that keeps the Optical drive and that doesn't paint the front all black.

Last edited:
Booted my USFF 7010 up for the first time in about a year (got packed in a box for a move and I've only just got back to said box :crazy:). No issues on startup apart from a bunch of apps complaining they're out of date, and pleasently suprised to see this little guy doing a full 3440x1440 on the new screen even if its only at 50hz.

Anyone had any issues with the Security Update 2022-005 for 10.15.7? I recall there being a big toodo about iOS/MacOS security issues a month or so back, and assume this one is to remedy that?
**Update**
Backed up my EFI just incase, but the Security Update installed without a hitch.

Last edited:
is there anyone know how to unlock CFG lock(MSR E2)? I cannot find the string by using UEFI Tool..

Back