Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install Catalina on the Dell Optiplex 7010 and 9010 Desktop PC

Its
You'll probably need to change the monitor resolution in the config.plist to be able to see the Clover Boot menu. Search in the graphics forum for a solution.
Its not work. Bios not show an this monitor. Only macos catalina boot

Do you have any other monitors that are newer you could connect to and see if you get the same results ? If using a DP to HDMI adapter or cable you might try a different one to rule out problems with that too. If it's not a hardware issue there is something else causing a lack of graphics acceleration. Would need your Clover folder with serials removed to find the cause. Compress it first then attach it.

Hi trs96,

Thanks for the suggestions.

For the install and general use I have used a DP-HDMI cable. As suggested, I have tried two other monitors - a Dell U2312HM and a Dell UltraSharp U3415W both with DP-DP cables (FYI I used two different DP-DP cables). I have also tried a VGA-VGA cable with the Acer S243HL. All cables and monitors have the same issues as previously described. Also, I have tried both DP ports (as well as the VGA port) and have the same issues with both.

Good suggestion about uploading a zip file of my Clover folder - was forgetting about this option. I have attached my Cover folder. So hopefully this will help troubleshoot the issues.

Please note: I have zipped the whole EFI folder. The reason for this is because when I completed the install there was a folder called 'APPLE' already in the EFI folder. This wasn't in the video, and being uncertain of what would happen if I removed it, I left it in. The boot folder (screenshot attached) has also appeared since the install (I'm guessing this is normal??). I guess it's possible that either one, or both, of these are causing the issue.

Many thanks!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    8.8 MB · Views: 63
  • efi-folder.png
    efi-folder.png
    65.9 KB · Views: 56
The boot folder (screenshot attached) has also appeared since the install (I'm guessing this is normal??).
Ignore this. Obviously the boot folder is required to make the drive bootable (I'm guessing). I've watched the install video again and I must have not noticed the folder the first time round.

Good suggestion about uploading a zip file of my Clover folder - was forgetting about this option. I have attached my Cover folder. So hopefully this will help troubleshoot the issues.
Looks like you followed the guide except for deleting some kexts from the kexts/other folder.

Screen_Shot_13.jpg

Other than that I'm not seeing anything that would cause an HD4000 graphics problem.

Is it possible to get the Wake on lan work on Optiplex 7010 in UEFI mode? I tried a few times and couldn't get it to work. However I can get it to work on Windows 7 / Windows 10 in traditional MBR mode, but not in UEFI mode

I decided to try a fresh install of Catalina using this guide onto a Dell Optiplex 7010 i5 3745S USFF.
I think I followed the steps in the written portion AND the videos faithfully, however, I didn't see the step that incorporated the serial number and SMBIOS details into the config.plist onto the EFI partition. The video ended with simply exiting the Clover Configurator after checking the everymac site ... and clicking Save to save the file into the Documents folder. I looked at that file and it contained ONLY the network interface setting, serial number, and SMBIOS settings... ie, seems like everything and ONLY what was set in Clover Configurator (Global Edition version 5.9.3.0).

I manually merged content of the Documents/config.plist into the EFI/config.plist and rebooted, and now all is well.

Also, I don't understand the reference to Clover pkg version r2119 (vs r2020). The version of UniBeast 10.3.0 that I downloaded, when I examine the package contents, includes Clover 5119. I didn't do anything to "keep r2119" to which the instructions refer.

Other than that, looks great and was very easy to install. Thanks!

Last edited:
I didn't see the step that incorporated the serial number and SMBIOS details into the config.plist onto the EFI partition.
Good point. When I was doing the final edits it looks like I got the order mixed up. No one else has seen this or at least mentioned it till now. It's a lot of work to do a video guide that shows all minute details. I've done so many times now it has gotten rather routine. I may have gotten into too much of a hurry to get it posted. I'm often getting up before 4 AM to work on projects like this. With work and my family it's the only free time I've got to do projects like this. Maybe I was still half asleep at the time. See the video for evidence:

Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 8.06.57 AM.png

In essence though, it was an experiment to see how closely people view the videos and apply the directions therein. You passed the test. Congratulations !

I'm assuming that most people figured this out when the MAS or iMessage wouldn't work without proper serials and SMUUID inserted into their config.plist on the ESP.

The reason r2119 was preferred at the time of making the video is that r2120 wasn't working correctly and then that was fixed at a later time.

Last edited:
I didn't see the step that incorporated the serial number and SMBIOS details into the config.plist onto the EFI partition.
I've edited the video and reposted it in #3. It should make creating and saving new serials and SMUUID perfectly clear now. Anyone else that followed the video previously should check for the cleanly generated serials in their config.plist if they didn't save them properly to their EFI folder.

Great guide, I like the steps written out but the video worked out ok.

I bought a 9020 SF and Nvidia quadro 510. I installed on a second drive so I could preserve the Windows 10 install on the other ssd.

Everything seems to be working fine but changing the AHCI settings prevents the windows 10 installation from booting by itself, i.e. the only ssd installed in the machine. I will try with clover on the ssd I did the Catalina install and both ssd drives installed but I suspect that the windows 10 drive won't boot. I'm not really worried about that issue right now.

I would like to setup HDMI audio, I notice that the only sound device is the headphone jack. Which method listed in the the HDMI guide should I use for this?

I bought a 9020 SF and Nvidia quadro 510. I installed on a second drive so I could preserve the Windows 10 install on the other ssd.
This guide is not for the 9020 SFF. It's for either the 7010 or 9010 models. There is a difference.

Back