Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP ProBook/EliteBook/Zbook using Clover UEFI hotpatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
have cleared all logs n am still getting this ACPI Exception:RE_BAD_PARAMETER,Returned by Handler for [EmbedddedControl] Below that ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed [\_SB_.PCIO.LPCB.EC_.GBAW] ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed [\_SB_.PCIO.LPCB.EC_.PRIT] ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed [\_SB_.PCIO.LPCB.EC_.ECRI] ,ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed [\_SB_.PCIO.LPCB.EC_.XREG] ,ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed [\_SB_.PCIO.LPCB.EC_._REG]

GBAW (not mentioned before) is different from GACW and was not mentioned previously.
This is why you must be detailed problem reporting.

Changes for GBAW checked into latest 'beta' branch.

Other Notes

This guide (and recent PBI-CE) does not install the FakeSMC sensor plugins.

I thought FakeSMC.kext was essential, or at least it's implied by the clover laptop guide(along with VoodooPS2Controller). So is FakeSMC.kext not the same thing as FakesSMC sensor plugins?

I thought FakeSMC.kext was essential, or at least it's implied by the clover laptop guide(along with VoodooPS2Controller). So is FakeSMC.kext not the same thing as FakesSMC sensor plugins?

FakeSMC.kext is essential.
FakeSMC plugins are not.

So I upgraded to High Sierra from Sierra following the guide here (thanks). Everything went well and seemed fine. All was working without problems for a couple of days. I had the laptop running and left for a few minutes and when I returned it had shutdown. As per the guide, I had disabled hibernation with the following code:
Code:
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage
sudo mkdir /var/vm/sleepimage
So it shouldn't have hibernated. I was unable to reboot. When I tried, I saw the dreaded universal "no" sign (a white circle with a line through it). I tried booting with the initial USB installer and saw the following:
IMG_0539.JPG

So it appears that somehow the boot drive has become corrupted. I've no doubt that Rehabman will respond with the standard "post troubleshooting files etc.", but I can't do that since I can't boot the system. I have Macdisk installed in windows and it's able to mount the various drives, but at this point in time APFS is still in beta for Macdisk so it's read only. But the fact that it can see my APFS drive tells me that it's still intact, so it's not a hardware issue. Also, the recovery drive won't boot (I get the same error), so that option is no help. I thought that maybe someone may have run into the same issue and if so could you please tell me how you fixed it? In case it was missed, I'm using an HP 4540s (posted in my profile).

So I upgraded to High Sierra from Sierra following the guide here (thanks). Everything went well and seemed fine. All was working without problems for a couple of days. I had the laptop running and left for a few minutes and when I returned it had shutdown. As per the guide, I had disabled hibernation with the following code:
Code:
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage
sudo mkdir /var/vm/sleepimage
So it shouldn't have hibernated. I was unable to reboot. When I tried, I saw the dreaded universal "no" sign (a white circle with a line through it). I tried booting with the initial USB installer and saw the following:View attachment 289527

So it appears that somehow the boot drive has become corrupted. I've no doubt that Rehabman will respond with the standard "post troubleshooting files etc.", but I can't do that since I can't boot the system. I have Macdisk installed in windows and it's able to mount the various drives, but at this point in time APFS is still in beta for Macdisk so it's read only. But the fact that it can see my APFS drive tells me that it's still intact, so it's not a hardware issue. Also, the recovery drive won't boot (I get the same error), so that option is no help. I thought that maybe someone may have run into the same issue and if so could you please tell me how you fixed it? In case it was missed, I'm using an HP 4540s (posted in my profile).
don't use windows to access a mac drive, it can cause issues and corrupt drives

try booting with your installer, and run first aid on the disk, if that doesn't work, you may need to re run the installer again. if that doesn't work then you may need to format and start from fresh

Hello Guys,

I have upgraded yesterday my Sierra to 10.12.6 (16G1036), and my Wifi is not working anymore, and I can't make it work again. My laptop is the Probook 4440s with ar9285 wifi card.

Any help here?

Ultimately attempting to update to High Sierra(without apfs) from El Capitan 10.11.4
Successfully transitioned from PBI-CE to hotpatch setup.
Couldn't download full 5GB High Sierra installer.
Ran the 19.9MB HS installer app thinking it would download the full installer and stop. Face palm.
At reboot, to avoid apfs, I did not choose the install at clover screen. Chose existing El Capitan. Booted fine. Runs fine still.
Ran apfs related terminal commands thinking I might be able to proceed without the full installer.
Terminal commands returned errors(see details)
Figured first updating to Sierra 10.12.6 would allow both downloading of full HS installer and functioning of terminal commands.
Downloaded full 5GB Sierra installer and ran but can't boot after choosing install in Clover. Boot verbose photo attached.
Can still boot to El Capitan no problem. EFI/Clover attached.

Specific Questions:
Am I correct in figuring that I need Sierra 10.12.6 first?
If so, does El Capitan to Sierra present it's own set of problems I need to research first?
Did running the High Sierra installer hurt anything even though I didn't choose to boot in the clover screen?
How should I proceed?!?!

Here's some details:

PBI-CE to hotpatch setup transition was succussfull, I think. Audio and usb seems good. No screen flickering. The scripts (/downloads.sh and ./install_downloads.sh) ran like clockwork. After much hand wringing and studying the guides, it was much simpler than expected once I got my hands dirty.

/Applications/"Install macOS High Sierra.app"/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --converttoapfs NO returns the license aggreement error.

/Applications/"Install macOS High Sierra.app"/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --converttoapfs NO --agreetolicense returns the helper tool crashed error.

Attachments

• sierra update fail verbose.jpg
    sierra update fail verbose.jpg
    661.1 KB · Views: 110
  • CLOVER no themes.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 77
Ultimately attempting to update to High Sierra(without apfs) from El Capitan 10.11.4
Successfully transitioned from PBI-CE to hotpatch setup.
Couldn't download full 5GB High Sierra installer.
Ran the 19.9MB HS installer app thinking it would download the full installer and stop. Face palm.
At reboot, to avoid apfs, I did not choose the install at clover screen. Chose existing El Capitan. Booted fine. Runs fine still.
Ran apfs related terminal commands thinking I might be able to proceed without the full installer.
Terminal commands returned errors(see details)
Figured first updating to Sierra 10.12.6 would allow both downloading of full HS installer and functioning of terminal commands.
Downloaded full 5GB Sierra installer and ran but can't boot after choosing install in Clover. Boot verbose photo attached.
Can still boot to El Capitan no problem. EFI/Clover attached.

Specific Questions:
Am I correct in figuring that I need Sierra 10.12.6 first?
If so, does El Capitan to Sierra present it's own set of problems I need to research first?
Did running the High Sierra installer hurt anything even though I didn't choose to boot in the clover screen?
How should I proceed?!?!

Here's some details:

PBI-CE to hotpatch setup transition was succussfull, I think. Audio and usb seems good. No screen flickering. The scripts (/downloads.sh and ./install_downloads.sh) ran like clockwork. After much hand wringing and studying the guides, it was much simpler than expected once I got my hands dirty.

/Applications/"Install macOS High Sierra.app"/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --converttoapfs NO returns the license aggreement error.

/Applications/"Install macOS High Sierra.app"/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --converttoapfs NO --agreetolicense returns the helper tool crashed error.

Your KP clearly shows you're using a VoodooPS2Controller.kext that is far too old for Sierra or High Sierra.
Read the guide for correct EFI/Clover setup, current kext links, etc.:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

And make sure you update your installed kexts before doing the upgrade (eg. download.sh, install_downloads.sh). You don't want to be stuck with old kexts on your system partition.

Reactions: app
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back