Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP ProBook/EliteBook/Zbook using Clover UEFI hotpatch (10.11)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's MaciASL, just downloaded fresh. As for ACPI specification in preferences, I have options for 4.0, 5.0A and 5.1. Which is correct?

Wrong version of MaciASL. The correct version is installed by ./download.sh and ./install_downloads.sh.

This guide uses ACPI 6.1.

I think you have a BIOS setting incorrect...

Direct link (for installation to a machine other than the target): https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-MaciASL-patchmatic

I've never run into the issue you have... but HPET problems can usually be fixed with the proper _OSI patching.

Enable _OSI->XOSI patch. Copy SSDT-XOSI.aml to ACPI/patched/SSDT-19.aml.

SSDT-XOSI.dsl is available from the laptop config plist repo... (hotpatch/SSDT-XOSI.dsl). Compile it as AML with MaciASL (or iasl).

Note: I suspect you have incorrect BIOS settings.

Right, done that now. Issue remains.

Nobody uses this laptop other than me and so I'm very sure that no one's been messing with the BIOS settings and she's been hackintosh'd up happilly for the past three years, but still I've just gone in to BIOS and check the following:

- "VT-d" (virtualization for directed i/o) should be disabled if possible (the config.plist includes dart=0 in case you can't do this)
- "DEP" (data execution prevention) should be enabled for OS X
- "secure boot " should be disabled
- "legacy boot" optional
- "fast boot" (if available) should be disabled.
- "CSM" (compatibility support module) enabled or disabled (varies)
- "boot from USB" or "boot from external" enabled

All either correct or inapplicable.

This is getting kind of frustrating now. Appreciate you helping me but I seem to be running out of options here.

Now this is getting weirder..

Using one of my USB sticks, I erased it in Disk Utility, ran Unibeast, selected El Capitan, UEFI boot.. let it run, waited, done...

..put it in to my ProBook and attempted to boot. Can't boot. It's not booting from USB. Now, Unibeast has *always* worked when I've done fresh installs.

Why the heck is my ProBook not allowing me to boot from USB anymore? I'm pressing ESC > F9 > select my USB stick.. Boot Device Not Found.

Could this be related to my current problem? What about my initial problem (before I came on this thread) of WiFi and audio not working in OS X?

Strange thing is - I can boot in to W10 just fine. Sound and WiFi works, as do USB ports..

EDIT: what on earth is this? I've just booted in to W10 and my display won't display a higher res than 1280x1024. Went to take a look at the windows driver.. all as it should be "Lenovo 1920x1080".. but won't - since the past 10 minutes - display any better than 1280x1024.

Is my laptop just shot now?

EDIT2: Scratch that about the low res in Windows. That was my fault. When I was in BIOS I unticked switchable graphics to see if it made a difference to my OS X woes (it didn't). Just went back in to BIOS and re-ticked it. High res in Windows working correctly again).

Right, done that now. Issue remains.

Nobody uses this laptop other than me and so I'm very sure that no one's been messing with the BIOS settings and she's been hackintosh'd up happilly for the past three years, but still I've just gone in to BIOS and check the following:

- "VT-d" (virtualization for directed i/o) should be disabled if possible (the config.plist includes dart=0 in case you can't do this)
- "DEP" (data execution prevention) should be enabled for OS X
- "secure boot " should be disabled
- "legacy boot" optional
- "fast boot" (if available) should be disabled.
- "CSM" (compatibility support module) enabled or disabled (varies)
- "boot from USB" or "boot from external" enabled

All either correct or inapplicable.

This is getting kind of frustrating now. Appreciate you helping me but I seem to be running out of options here.

Reset BIOS to defaults. Then check all the specific setting as called for in the guide.

EC reset also a good idea.

Also note that you can boot the installer with a complete patched ACPI set (config.plist + the various SSDTs in ACPI/patched as per guide).

Now this is getting weirder..

Using one of my USB sticks, I erased it in Disk Utility, ran Unibeast, selected El Capitan, UEFI boot.. let it run, waited, done...

Note that this guide does not use Unibeast.

Why the heck is my ProBook not allowing me to boot from USB anymore? I'm pressing ESC > F9 > select my USB stick.. Boot Device Not Found.

Make sure USB is created per guide, BIOS settings correct...

So I'm curious.. Does Power Management work properly? I'm looking at my CPU, and the voltage is dropping like it is suppose to, but the processor speed is not. So far it's staying at its maximum speed of 2.4GHz and barely dropping below 2.24GHz while sitting idle at 2-10% usage...?

I've reran the ssdtPRGen.sh file and copied the newly generated SSDT.aml file to the /EFI/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/ directory, but it is still not downclocking properly. I noticed we're not using the GeneratePStates flag which makes sense I think since we have a SSDT file that has the PStates already generated for us, but is there something missing or something I overlooked?

Reset BIOS to defaults. Then check all the specific setting as called for in the guide.

EC reset also a good idea.

Also note that you can boot the installer with a complete patched ACPI set (config.plist + the various SSDTs in ACPI/patched as per guide).

Good morning. Again, thank you for your help.

Just did EC reset.

Then I went in to BIOS and reset settings to default. Now I want to go back in BIOS to enable UEFI boot et al, but it won't let me back in! See vid..
https://youtu.be/q66T2Ywhfsk

I think I found the reason I can't get it in to BIOS. On this thread:
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Deskto...le-to-enter-bios-from-boot-screen/td-p/824641

this happened when I had a working UEFI installation of Windows 8 and then reset the BIOS to its default settings - this has switched the BIOS from UEFI to legacy mode, and since the disk had a GPT partition scheme, the whole thing became unbootable.
It turns out the Recovery-only problem on this laptop happens when:
* the hard drive is unreadable (due to bad sectors)
* there is no hard drive installed
* there is an invalid partitioning scheme (GPT instead of MBR when in legacy mode or an invalid MBR)
For me, the solution was to remove the hard drive from the laptop and plug it into a working Windows machine, from which I then ran diskpart and cleaned the disk.
You will loose all of your data on the laptops hard drive, so you should back up your files before you do that.

So, I removed my SSD from my ProBook. Did another EC reset for good measure and, low and behold, I can now enter BIOS as normal. So I enabled UEFI boot, disabled fast boot, saved, exited and replaced SSD.

With SSD back in the laptop and freshly made USB El Capitan installer in one of the right hand side ports, I attempted to boot. ESC then F9. Chose to boot from Kingston Datatraveller USB stick.. BootDevice Not Found. So I still can't boot from USB.

Turned off and back on again.. ESC, F9, boot from EFI file.. USB, EFI, CLOVER, CLOVERX64.efi, Boot OS X Install from install_osx, space bar, choose verbose.. Hangs for a few minutes as per pic attached.. Then a few more lines of text appears which runs too fast to capture a pic of, before the system gives up and reboots.

So I'm right back where I started.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    810.8 KB · Views: 91
Hi RehabMan. I removed the old SSDT for the old CPU. Put new CPU in tried to boot into OS X and I'm being stopped at P States Stopper. Any ideas?

Don't worry now. Ive sorted it RehabMan.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-04-06 at 13.47.52.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-04-06 at 13.47.52.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Well, I'm now back in my original OS X (10.11.4) installation on my internal SSD. This is how I did it..

..in Windows 10, I mounted the EFI partition. But Windows wouldn't let me access it, nor provide a Security tab in folder properties so I could gain access to it. So I launched Task Manager, Run, Browse, navigated to the now mounted EFI partition and from there I could access the files and folders. Bit of a dog's leg of a workaround, but it worked.

Within there I deleted the CLOVER folder and replaced it with a CLOVER folder that, by the grace of god, I'd saved from some time back in 2015.

Rebooted and, praise the lord, I'm back in OS X.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back