Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP EliteBook 820 840 G2 I5-5300U HD5500 El Capitan [ENG]

Status
Not open for further replies.
YESEL is invalid. ACPI identifiers are limited to 4 characters.

And, of course, you would need the appropriate SSDT content.
Typo on my part; method was patched as YSEL. The matching SSDTs can be found in the CLOVER zip in my last post as SSDT-ESEL.aml and SSDT-XSEL.aml

Check BIOS settings. "Fast boot" disabled?
"Fast boot" was in fact enabled, but disabling it had no change with either XHC or EHC mapped ports.

Typo on my part; method was patched as YSEL. The matching SSDTs can be found in the CLOVER zip in my last post as SSDT-ESEL.aml and SSDT-XSEL.aml

"Fast boot" was in fact enabled, but disabling it had no change with either XHC or EHC mapped ports.

No idea. Could be just something quirky with the camera itself.

No idea. Could be just something quirky with the camera itself.

As a test, I booted the machine to Linux Mint 17.3 and opened the webcam with VLC, put the machine to sleep, and reopened the webcam without issue. The same test with VLC for Mac resulted in the same disappearing device issue, so the device itself seems to be working.

Just for kicks, I disabled the custom UPRW and allowed the native UPRW to run in its place, but no change. Still went to sleep, though. I also ran through all of the known Broadwell SMBIOS values for System and Board-ID. The MacBook Air and MacBook Pro options had no change (I've been bouncing back and forth between 7,1 and 7,2 for a while anyway) and the CoreM MacBook values unsurprisingly caused a kernel panic, but I tried anyway. None offered any change in the webcam.

I did notice an interesting thing happening on the USB bus, though. HS04, the Broadcom Bluetooth device, shuts down on sleep and then restarts on wake. In the attached ioreg, you can see the disabled device in the tree and then its re-enabled state. If I put the machine to sleep multiple times, I see multiple disabled states. Is there anything that can be divined from this?

Also, what about the WCAM device in \_SB.PCI0.XHC.RHUB.HS07? Is there anything in there that needs to be addressed as we move things from EHC1? What more could I be looking at?

Attachments

• ioreg-bt-wakeup.zip
    462.2 KB · Views: 94
As a test, I booted the machine to Linux Mint 17.3 and opened the webcam with VLC, put the machine to sleep, and reopened the webcam without issue. The same test with VLC for Mac resulted in the same disappearing device issue, so the device itself seems to be working.

OS X is generally more picky about webcam devices than other systems.

Keep in mind OS X is written for Apple products only.

Just for kicks, I disabled the custom UPRW and allowed the native UPRW to run in its place, but no change. Still went to sleep, though.

Yes.. there is likely no problem with _PRW (no instant wake) if "wake on USB" and "wake on LAN" are disabled in BIOS.

I did notice an interesting thing happening on the USB bus, though. HS04, the Broadcom Bluetooth device, shuts down on sleep and then restarts on wake. In the attached ioreg, you can see the disabled device in the tree and then its re-enabled state. If I put the machine to sleep multiple times, I see multiple disabled states. Is there anything that can be divined from this?

It is normal.

Also, what about the WCAM device in \_SB.PCI0.XHC.RHUB.HS07? Is there anything in there that needs to be addressed as we move things from EHC1? What more could I be looking at?

I don't believe OS X pays attention to the WCAM subnode.

OS X is generally more picky about webcam devices than other systems.

Keep in mind OS X is written for Apple products only.
True. I'm wondering if the camera needs updated firmware loaded at launch, but I've no idea where that firmware would come from.

What about a workaround? Is there any way to "virtually" remove/insert an internal USB device like you would a physical USB device? Running a bash script to "reseed" the internal device would certainly be preferable to rebooting.

True. I'm wondering if the camera needs updated firmware loaded at launch, but I've no idea where that firmware would come from.

If it it did, it would not come back after a restart following a sleep/wake cycle.

What about a workaround? Is there any way to "virtually" remove/insert an internal USB device like you would a physical USB device? Running a bash script to "reseed" the internal device would certainly be preferable to rebooting.

You could try disabling the port, re-enabling the port (in _WAK or XWAK, for example). You will need to do a little reading about the chipset (EHCI controller) to learn how to do that...

you can try my clover ,my camera it's ok

and how to fix shutdown? I had patch the shutdown2,it doesn't work...
View attachment 181935

The camera does work with your CLOVER, true, but sleep does not. My camera also works initially, but stops working after waking from sleep, so I wasn't able to test that out with your setup. Also, the fabulous @RehabMan was able to get sound and shutdown working as well. Feel free to try it out. :)

Attachments

• CLOVER-HP-840-G2.zip
    5.7 MB · Views: 118
Well, I don't know if it's the 10.11.4 update or the changes that @RehabMan made to HP-ProBook-4x30s-DSDT-Patch to support it, but the webcam now wakes properly with the system after sleep! My audio stopped working after the update, and I saw that @RehabMan had added updated the kext used to fix audio so I updated the rest of the hot patches as well, and oila! Webcam now wakes after sleep!

Just in case anyone with a similar system needs it, I've attached my CLOVER folder. There are no direct DSDT edits; only @RehabMan's SSDT hot patches. I can provide a list of additional kexts if needed, as well. The only part of the system that is not working is the SD Card Reader, but given the wide variety of SD reader hardware out there, it's probably not feasible to patch it. I may give it a try some day, but today I revel in a fully operational Hackintosh Laptop!

Many thanks, @RehabMan!

- Dave

Attachments

• CLOVER-Working-with-Camera.zip
    5.8 MB · Views: 188
Well, I don't know if it's the 10.11.4 update or the changes that @RehabMan made to HP-ProBook-4x30s-DSDT-Patch to support it, but the webcam now wakes properly with the system after sleep! My audio stopped working after the update, and I saw that @RehabMan had added updated the kext used to fix audio so I updated the rest of the hot patches as well, and oila! Webcam now wakes after sleep!

Just in case anyone with a similar system needs it, I've attached my CLOVER folder. There are no direct DSDT edits; only @RehabMan's SSDT hot patches. I can provide a list of additional kexts if needed, as well. The only part of the system that is not working is the SD Card Reader, but given the wide variety of SD reader hardware out there, it's probably not feasible to patch it. I may give it a try some day, but today I revel in a fully operational Hackintosh Laptop!

Many thanks, @RehabMan!

- Dave

Glad to hear it is now working. The camera issue may have been a USB issue fixed in 10.11.4, or... who knows.

I checked all the files you have in ACPI/patched and they are exactly the same as those created from my repo (I just compared to make sure there were no edits missing in my versions).

To others trying to use this CLOVER setup:
- keep in mind there may be updates to the repo: https://github.com/RehabMan/HP-ProBook-4x30s-DSDT-Patch
- updates to Clover too
- ACPI/patched/SSDT.aml is specific to @stealthdave's CPU
- SMBIOS should be customized (don't edit the config.plist directly with Clover Configurator though)
- kexts required can be downloaded and installed with download.sh and install_downloads.sh (in the repo mentioned above)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back