Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP EliteBook 820 840 G2 I5-5300U HD5500 El Capitan [ENG]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have an interesting experience here. Thanks to the updates to HP-ProBook-4x30s-DSDT and the ensuing discussion + instructions, I was able to get audio working without VoodooHDA. Unfortunately, this came at the cost of accelerated graphics, which stopped working after I made the changes to the config.plist.

Specifically, the graphics don't work if I include the Arbitrary key in Devices, which is necessary to inject the custom properties for the audio devices. With the Arbitrary key, audio works but graphics does not. Remove the Arbitrary key, and graphics work again but audio is missing.

I've attached two config.plists that illustrate the difference, along with corresponding ioreg dumps. I did look at the Clover documentation regarding Devices, and it does not say anything about Arbitrary. There is an AddProperties key, but my attempts to adapt the data to that format did not yield any results. Obviously, Arbitrary does something so it may just not be documented, but it's killing my graphics when its used. Any help is always appreciated!

Given what you did, the results are expected. When using my Clover ACPI hotpatch setup, IGPU injection is done by SSDT-IGPU.aml (or SSDT-IGPU-HIRES.aml), which you do not mention using.

You cannot use Devices/Arbitrary and the ACPI/DSDT/Patches, ACPI/DSDTFixes without adopting my complete ACPI solution (including all the SSDTs). For your case, that would be SSDT-HACK.aml, SSDT-IGPU.aml, SSDT-KEY102.aml (or maybe KEY87), maybe SSDT-USB-4X0s-G2.aml, SSDT-BATT-G2.aml, and one of the SSDT-FAN*.aml.

My suggestion was that you only add the AppleHDA patches in KextsToPatch.

You can try the Clover hotpatch ACPI setup later.

That did it! I added SSDT-HACK.aml, SSDT-IGPU.aml, SSDT-KEY87.aml, SSDT-BATT-G2.aml and SSDT-FAN-READ.aml to ACPI/patched and updated my config.plist accordingly. Now I have working audio and graphics!

I did not use any of the SSDT-USB-* because they are all set to generate SSDT-HACK.aml, which would override the file generated from SSDT-HACK.dsl in your source. Is this intentional? And does that mean that the SSDT-HACK.aml generated from the SSDT-USB-*.dsl files should be used instead of the aml generated by SSDT-HACK.dsl? Given the vast differences I wouldn't think so; the SSDT-USB-* do seem to be limited to USB data as opposed to SSDT-HACK's more system-wide scope.

That did it! I added SSDT-HACK.aml, SSDT-IGPU.aml, SSDT-KEY87.aml, SSDT-BATT-G2.aml and SSDT-FAN-READ.aml to ACPI/patched and updated my config.plist accordingly. Now I have working audio and graphics!

I assume you deleted your patched DSDT, and have only SSDT.aml (from ssdtPRgen.sh) and these SSDTs present in ACPI/patched... (because that's the intention).

All patching is done on-the-fly.

I did not use any of the SSDT-USB-* because they are all set to generate SSDT-HACK.aml,

Not sure what you mean...

- the name in the DefinitionBlock header is not used
- all files are created via 'make'
- the makefile uses -p to properly name the output AML

Code:
SPEEDY-OSX:probook.git RehabMan$ rm build/*.aml
SPEEDY-OSX:probook.git RehabMan$ make|tail
iasl -vw 2095 -p build/SSDT-USB-8x0s-G1.aml SSDT-USB-8x0s-G1.dsl

Intel ACPI Component Architecture
ASL+ Optimizing Compiler version 20160212-64
Copyright (c) 2000 - 2016 Intel Corporation

ASL Input:     SSDT-USB-8x0s-G1.dsl - 141 lines, 4446 bytes, 27 keywords
AML Output:    build/SSDT-USB-8x0s-G1.aml - 705 bytes, 16 named objects, 11 executable opcodes

Compilation complete. 0 Errors, 0 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 8 Optimizations, 1 Constants Folded
SPEEDY-OSX:probook.git RehabMan$ ls build
SSDT-BATT-G2.aml	SSDT-FAN-READ.aml	SSDT-KEY102.aml		SSDT-USB-8x0s-G1.aml
SSDT-BATT.aml		SSDT-FAN-SMOOTH.aml	SSDT-KEY87.aml		readme.txt
SSDT-FAN-MOD.aml	SSDT-HACK.aml		SSDT-USB-4x0s-G2.aml
SSDT-FAN-ORIG.aml	SSDT-IGPU-HIRES.aml	SSDT-USB-4x30s.aml
SSDT-FAN-QUIET.aml	SSDT-IGPU.aml		SSDT-USB-4x40s.aml

I will put the proper file name in the DefinitionBlock just to avoid confusion.

I was not using "make" (my bad); I compiled them manually. Running "make" generated the appropriate aml files, however, using only the hot-patch aml files instead of the fully patched DSTD resulted in a number of previously working systems to fail: backlight control, USB, and battery no longer worked. I restored the patched DSDT and added only SSDT-HACK and SSDT-IGPU, and that brought me back to my previous working state.

I actually feel that I'm in very good shape overall. USB 2.0 and 3.0 are working, backlight control, battery, gpu, wifi, bluetooth, webcam, keyboard/trackpad, and now audio are all working well.

The only thing still not working is sleep. (And the SD card reader, but I'm not too worried about that for now.) Regardless of how the system goes to sleep (either inactivity or selecting Sleep from the menu), the system won't wake up if you wait more than 16 seconds or so.

I was not using "make" (my bad); I compiled them manually. Running "make" generated the appropriate aml files, however, using only the hot-patch aml files instead of the fully patched DSTD resulted in a number of previously working systems to fail: backlight control, USB, and battery no longer worked. I restored the patched DSDT and added only SSDT-HACK and SSDT-IGPU, and that brought me back to my previous working state.

The intention is to use native DSDT with Clover hotpatch. You must have made a mistake.

Remove patched files, use only the SSDTs.

Post ioreg as ZIP: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html. Please, use the IORegistryExplorer v2.1 attached to the post! DO NOT reply with an ioreg from any other version of IORegistryExplorer.app.

Also, post EFI/Clover folder as ZIP (press F4 at main Clover screen before collecting). Please eliminate 'themes' directory, especially if you have an overabundance of themes installed. Provide only EFI/Clover, not the entire EFI folder.

I redid my CLOVER install with the following steps:

• Delete DSDT.* and SSDT-*, but not SSDT.aml generated by ssdtPRgen.sh
  • Downloaded latest HP-ProBook-4x30s-DSDT-Patch source
  • Build *.aml files using make; copy to EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched
  • Copy config/config_8x0s_G2_Broadwell.plist to EFI/CLOVER/config.plist
  • Ran the following scripts from HP-ProBook-4x30s-DSDT-Patch (in order)
    • download.sh
    • install-downloads.sh
    • patch_backlight.sh
    • patch_hda.sh ALC280

Upon reboot, I still have HD5500 graphics support, USB 3.0 port, keyboard and mouse (yay!), but not much else:
  • No sound
  • No USB 2.0 ports, including internal ports for Bluetooth and Webcam
  • No battery
  • No backlight
CLOVER folders and ioreg attatched.

Thanks!
- Dave

Attachments

• CLOVER-HPProBookPatches.zip
    4.2 MB · Views: 102
  • DavidsMacBookAir-HPProBookPatches.zip
    360.2 KB · Views: 90
  • CLOVER-working-nosleep-before-patches.zip
    4.3 MB · Views: 93
  • DavidsMacBookAir-working-nosleep-before-patches.zip
    431.5 KB · Views: 105
I redid my CLOVER install with the following steps:

• Delete DSDT.* and SSDT-*, but not SSDT.aml generated by ssdtPRgen.sh
  • Downloaded latest HP-ProBook-4x30s-DSDT-Patch source
  • Build *.aml files using make; copy to EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched
  • Copy config/config_8x0s_G2_Broadwell.plist to EFI/CLOVER/config.plist
  • Ran the following scripts from HP-ProBook-4x30s-DSDT-Patch (in order)
    • download.sh
    • install-downloads.sh
    • patch_backlight.sh
    • patch_hda.sh ALC280

Upon reboot, I still have HD5500 graphics support, USB 3.0 port, keyboard and mouse (yay!), but not much else:
  • No sound
  • No USB 2.0 ports, including internal ports for Bluetooth and Webcam
  • No battery
  • No backlight
CLOVER folders and ioreg attatched.

Thanks!
- Dave

My patches assume you're using AppleHDA_ProBook.kext.

No need to regenerate AppleHDA_ProBook.kext, but if you do... correct way:
Code:
rm -rf AppleHDA_ProBook.kext
make

To install it, you can use make:
Code:
make install_hda

Or install_downloads.sh (which will install all, including the AppleHDA_ProBook).

Make sure you don't have some other AppleHDA installed (AppleHDAALC.kext is installed by PBI).

AppleHDA_ProBook for ALC280 uses layout-id 4. Your config.plist is set to 3. Change both instances of layout-id to 4 (I will fix makefile).

Battery is not working because you have a second battery object that is not disabled by my patches. Can you install the debug ACPIBatteryManager.kext and provide logs. I'll take a look at it to determine what I can do about it. Perhaps I can just fix it in the kext, which would avoid working out a patch for it.

Note: For now, I added a patch to disable BAT1._STA that should work for your DSDT.

The ioreg shows the backlight working (PNLF present, IntelBacklight.kext loaded, display is AppleBacklightDisplay). What happens with the backlight slider in SysPrefs->Displays?

As far as USB, it is because you installed the USB config for the 4x0s-G2, which is unlikely to match your USB topology. Remove it, or use -uia_ignore_rmcf (to ignore it). Then test all your USB ports with both USB2 and USB3 devices while monitoring with ioreg. Reply with ioreg. From the ioreg a custom USB SSDT can be created (may be the same as the G1).

--

Also you will need to fill out your profile... I have no idea which laptop you have....

Please provide complete details in your profile/signature
(Profile/Settings link in upper right corner of this site)

Mobo: manufacturer/model + bootloader(Clover/Chameleon/Chimera)
CPU: detailed CPU model + motherboard chipset
Graphics: all graphics devices + laptop internal screen resolution

For example, typical Ivy laptop:
Mobo: HP ProBook 4540s (Clover)
CPU: i5-3320m/HM76
Graphics: HD4000, 1366x768

Use CPU-Z on Windows to find CPU (Core iX-xxx) and motherboard chipset (HMxx), and graphics capabilities. For a laptop, these details are important and affect critical installation procedures.

Note: When specifying your bootloader, if using Clover legacy, please be sure to specify "Clover legacy"). Specifying "Clover" will be assumed as "Clover UEFI"

OOOH! We are getting SO close!

I've updated my sig to include my current Hackintosh builds. Notably, this build is for my HP EliteBook Pro 840 G2. I wasn't able to use the "build" profile tool since there were too many missing options for my particular build, so I added the specs manually. I think the only thing you've requested that may not be in the .sig is the 1600x900 native resolution. I don't have access to Windows on this machine anymore, but according to Wikipedia, the motherboard chipset is HM97.

I updated my HP-ProBook-4x30s-DSDT-Patch to the Feb 28 source and rebuilt, and got some excellent results! Current .aml files:
  • SSDT-BATT-G2.aml
  • SSDT-FAN-READ.aml
  • SSDT-HACK.aml
  • SSDT-IGPU.aml
  • SSDT-KEY87.aml
  • SSDT.aml (from ssdtPRgen.sh)

Everything appears to be working except for the following:
  • Shutdown (goes through the shutdown process, but laptop no longer powers off)
  • Sleep
Sound, backlight, graphics, battery, Bluetooth, USB 2.0 and 3.0 all appear to be working as expected. I've attached my CLOVER folder and ioreg dump.

Thanks!

P.S. - Please excuse the delays between updates. Delays are partly due to my busy schedule (aren't we all?), but also a desire to make sure that I've done as much research and tried everything that I can on my end so as not to waste your valuable time.

Attachments

• CLOVER-HPProBookPatches.zip
    4.2 MB · Views: 119
  • DavidsMacBookAir-HPProBookPatches.zip
    507.1 KB · Views: 101
OOOH! We are getting SO close!

I've updated my sig to include my current Hackintosh builds. Notably, this build is for my HP EliteBook Pro 840 G2. I wasn't able to use the "build" profile tool since there were too many missing options for my particular build, so I added the specs manually. I think the only thing you've requested that may not be in the .sig is the 1600x900 native resolution. I don't have access to Windows on this machine anymore, but according to Wikipedia, the motherboard chipset is HM97.

I updated my HP-ProBook-4x30s-DSDT-Patch to the Feb 28 source and rebuilt, and got some excellent results! Current .aml files:
  • SSDT-BATT-G2.aml
  • SSDT-FAN-READ.aml
  • SSDT-HACK.aml
  • SSDT-IGPU.aml
  • SSDT-KEY87.aml
  • SSDT.aml (from ssdtPRgen.sh)

Everything appears to be working except for the following:
  • Shutdown (goes through the shutdown process, but laptop no longer powers off)
  • Sleep
Sound, backlight, graphics, battery, Bluetooth, USB 2.0 and 3.0 all appear to be working as expected. I've attached my CLOVER folder and ioreg dump.

Thanks!

P.S. - Please excuse the delays between updates. Delays are partly due to my busy schedule (aren't we all?), but also a desire to make sure that I've done as much research and tried everything that I can on my end so as not to waste your valuable time.

Post output from:
Code:
kextstat|grep -y acpiplat
kextstat|grep -y appleintelcpu
kextstat|grep -y applelpc

Also, output of:
Code:
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /

Have you tested HDMI audio? Just curious if it is working...

As for the shutdown process, two things:
- it could be related to incorrect USB setup (please do the test I mentioned in my previous report and provide ioreg after the test).
- you might get some more information regarding shutdown by booting verbose (verbose startup also causes verbose shutdown).

kextstat output:
Code:
Davids-MacBook-Air:~ stealthdave$ kextstat | grep -y acpiplat
   13    2 0xffffff7f82cfe000 0x66000    0x66000    com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform (4.0) 3BE4E926-E063-3BBD-BE05-F6F97358C7A4 <12 11 7 6 5 4 3 1>
Davids-MacBook-Air:~ stealthdave$ kextstat | grep -y appleintelcpu
Davids-MacBook-Air:~ stealthdave$ kextstat | grep -y applepc
kextcache output:
Code:
Davids-MacBook-Air:~ stealthdave$ sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext VoodooPS2Mouse.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext VoodooPS2Controller.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext USBInjectAll.kext
kext file:///Library/Extensions/JMicronATA.kext/ is in hash exception list, allowing to load
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext JMB38X.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext IOath3kfrmwr.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext IntelMausiEthernet.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext IntelBacklight.kext
kext file:///Library/Extensions/HSSDBlockStorage.kext/ is in hash exception list, allowing to load
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext FakeSMC.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext FakePCIID.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext CodecCommander.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext BrcmPatchRAM2.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67030 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA2A for kext AppleHDA_ProBook.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext ACPIPoller.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext ACPIBatteryManager.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67030 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA2A for kext AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver.kext
Also attached is ioreg with a USB 3.0 drive plugged into the USB 3.0 port, and a USB 2.0 drive plugged into one of the USB 2.0 ports. There is no USB aml file being loaded, and you can compare with my previous ioreg without drives loaded.

I booted in verbose mode to try and get more information about the Shutdown issue, but when I selected "Shutdown" from the menu, the shutdown process continued far enough to turn off the screen, but the Power button and other keyboard status lights remained on, indicating that the shutdown process had not completed.

I will test HDMI audio in the morning.

- Dave

Attachments

• DavidsMacBookAir-HPProBookPatches-withUSB.zip
    509.2 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back