Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP 6300 Pro / HP 8300 Elite - A 100 percent Working and Easily Affordable CustoMac

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this over in the Post Installation forum, but didn't have any luck, was wondering if anyone has run into the same problem.

I have the EDUP wifi dongle, and it works fine, but the thing is it stalls out when downloading large files at around 10Mb. Have tried everything I can think of. Anyone have any tips?
That's the nature of USB wifi that uses 3rd party drivers. It's meant mostly for providing a connection easily and inexpensively not for moving a lot of data on a regular basis. If you don't need BT you could get one of the TP-Link PCI-e wifi cards that are natively supported by macOS. Those are very fast and reliable. If you want to stay with USB wifi TP-Link also makes a 10 dollar dongle that seems to work reliably. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...gigabyte-gtx-1050.224812/page-11#post-1540986

I got a question. I am trying to build an 8300 CMT i7 and has already ordered the GT 1050 Ti compact single fan from the link from first page. But just to confirm, was that just mainly for best graphics card for the SFF? Or is that also best choice for the CMT?

(If not, I can still use that for my 8300 SFF build) let me know what your suggestions are.
Or could these even be built up with gold power supplies to support full size powerful graphics cards? Or would that be too much for these setups?

My main use is for video editing on FCPX.
Every HP 6300, 8300 Small Form Factor, the most popular choice, has graphics card length and height restrictions. The HP 6300 MT also has a max graphics card length of under 7 inches due to the motherboard layout/heatsink placement. The 8300 MT can use cards that are full height and longer than 7 inches but that don't require 6 pin supplemental power. The main objective of these HP CustoMacs is economy, to save money on the cost of the build and to reduce electricity usage to further save money over the usable life of the machine. The single fan 1050 Ti should perform as well as the dual fan version, it might run slightly warmer under heavy usage. You can use the longer dual fan version in the 8300 MT if you need extra cooling.

If you are editing in Final Cut professionally you should be using a CustoMac built from the ground up with new compatible parts. That gives you a wider choice of power supplies and graphics cards. The HP 8300 is pre-built with a proprietary PSU that should not be replaced. Creates too many potential problems. The 1050 Ti is about as good as you can do for Nvidia cards. Some have used an AMD RX460 /560 but I have not seen much in the way of reports of how it is working with FCP X. The higher end AMD cards like the RX580 are much too power hungry to run on a 320W PSU without any supplemental 6 pin power connectors. If your editing in FCP X is a hobby and you don't make money from it, the 1050 Ti should do a commendable job.

Last edited:
I am trying my second hackintosh on a hp 8300 i7-3770 (1st dell 7010 i7-3770). The problem i am having is getting my hard drive reconized during the installation of Sierra using the usb drive I created with unibeast (same usb dirve I used on my first hackintosh). My usb drive loads sierra up to the point where I need to use disk ultility to format my hd, however disk ultility does not see the hd. I have formatted the hard drive (had win 10 on it before) with win 10 before i began to install sierra. There are 2 partion on it when I use disk manager on win 10. I can format the large partition but can not do anything to the 200 meg partition (greyed out). Have changed sata cable but same thing. Connected it externally to a imac and used disk ultility to reformat but same result when connected back to hp 8300 sata

Any suggestion?

Last edited:
Every HP 6300, 8300 Small Form Factor, the most popular choice, has graphics card length and height restrictions. The HP 6300 MT also has a max graphics card length of under 7 inches due to the motherboard layout/heatsink placement. The 8300 MT can use cards that are full height and longer than 7 inches but that don't require 6 pin supplemental power. The main objective of these HP CustoMacs is economy, to save money on the cost of the build and to reduce electricity usage to further save money over the usable life of the machine. The single fan 1050 Ti should perform as well as the dual fan version, it might run slightly warmer under heavy usage. You can use the longer dual fan version in the 8300 MT if you need extra cooling.

If you are editing in Final Cut professionally you should be using a CustoMac built from the ground up with new compatible parts. That gives you a wider choice of power supplies and graphics cards. The HP 8300 is pre-built with a proprietary PSU that should not be replaced.....

Thanks for the reply. That's what I was expecting. I just wanted to confirm since there wasn't much talk about higher graphics...but since the limitations on PSU, that's about maxed at single fan GTX 1050. I will install that then since I got one of those....I was going to save it for my SFF initially. But I will ise that on the CMT build then maybe get less expensive GPU for the SFF.

Thanks again... I have been having problems getting stuck at half way at apple logo and not continuing. I will retrace and start again from Step one to see if I missed something.

Has anybody issues with monitors? I mean, I bought a 4K Dell monitor but ,it failed to wake up after sleep and I had to return it. Now I am looking another one. Do you think the monitor was faulty or something wrong with my setting or what else can it be?
NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2047 MB

WOOHOO!!! I am happy to report another success...my very FIRST hackintosh!!!
Thank you trs96 and to all the contributors getting this helpful guide. I had initial frustrations last night...(was up till 4 AM)
trying to figure this out with no success and the install at apple logo hanging. It turned out to the the USB drives I was using...

First, I was using a microSDXC card on a mini reader (even though it was a fast and new microSD card)
2nd, I used an old USB 16GB flash drive (still would hang and not complete Unibeast)

then I used one fairly recent 8GB USB flash drive and FINALLY got that one to complete Unibeast and got me to the language screen on the OS X install screen. I am so happy. I am now replying to this thread on my new (old) HP 8300 hackintosh!

I am now downloading Final Cut Pro X so hopefully I will get to try this rig out and see how it performs.

I still need to configure some things on it (sound not working). I am using an older N150 USB wifi dongle on it temporarily.
I got the Nvidia drivers on it and now running my GTX 1050 Ti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back