Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP 6300 Pro / HP 8300 Elite - A 100 percent Working and Easily Affordable CustoMac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you @trs96, Problem solved now getting speeds over 500 for read and writes!. I see what I have done wrong in regards to the HDMI audio, pretty sure I installed 2.80 not 2.90 using Kextbeast.
Another thing I wanted to mention is related to editing the config.plist in Clover Configurator. Wherein you specify which drive Clover boots up with and the time for automatic boot. I followed the instructions, saved the file in the correct folder. When Clover booted, The HHD/SSD changed order as expected but no 8 second countdown, as I wanted. When I selected boot OS X, it wouldn't!. The Apple appeared on the black background but the progress bar remained empty, it didn't fill up.

Do you have Windows installed on the 1 TB drive ? Also, take a screenshot of the changes you made in CC and post it here.

Last edited:
Do you have Windows installed on the 2 TB drive ? Also, take a screenshot of the changes you made in CC and post it here.

@trs96 Yes, Win is installed on the 1TB Firecuda drive. I didn't make any changes anywhere else only in CC. I also noticed that when I plugged in the 6GB cable that came with the PC, into the blue socket for the SSD with Sierra, I got the black screen with a white circle and diagonal line across the centre. Does that go in the black socket?. Anyway the 3GB cable doubled the speed of the SSD.

Screen Shot 2017-09-05 at 10.08.41 PM.png

I would disconnect the 1TB Windows drive sata cable and just focus on booting the Sierra drive first. Try booting from the SSD in verbose mode and see what causes the Kernel panic. Take a pic of the screen where it stops.

I would disconnect the 1TB Windows drive sata cable and just focus on booting the Sierra drive first. Try booting from the SSD in verbose mode and see what causes the Kernel panic. Take a pic of the screen where it stops.

I'm not getting any kernel panics!. OS X starts up perfectly!. With or without the Windows Firecuda drive. This was just something that happened before!, sorry should of pointed that out before. Since then I have reinstalled everything and its working great.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-1.jpg
    FullSizeRender-1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 126
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 134
Thanks again for the guide. Incredibly helpful.

Just wanted to share an alternate option for a dual boot system that seems to have worked fairly well for me and doesn't require a Windows computer.

1. Install macOS according to guide.
2. Make Windows bootable USB with Bootcamp Assistant in macOS.
3. Unplug masOS drive / plug in Windows drive.
4. Boot to USB and install windows to windows drive.
5. Plug macOS drive back in.
6. Boot to BIOS and change boot order so that the macOS drive is first.
7. Reboot

Clover now how the option to boot to either Windows or macOS EFI. There's also a Legacy booting option for Windows, but it doesn't seem to work. I just ignore it.

There are no ram height restrictions in these HP computers. Whether the ram is compatible or not is another issue. I haven't seen anyone use that brand of ram in an HP 6300/8300 before.

Aren't they limited by the RAM slot spacing, such that sticks with large heat sinks won't fit? I thought I recalled reading that in one of the guides.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012DSZKV0/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

OOS, but will ship later; $80 for 16 GB (2 x 8).

I don't believe anyone is selling a 16GB kit for $80 as that is likely for an 8 GB kit instead.

You could buy the Crucial 16GB kit for around $129 and be certain it will fit and will work for you.
1866 MHz ram will never run at that speed in one of these PCs. No XMP settings in the BIOS.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012DSZKV0/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Here's a G.Skill 8GB kit verified working with the HP 8300 Elite. 2 kits sell for only $114 on Newegg right now.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428
These have the lowest latency, CL9 and 9-9-9-24 timings which exactly match the HP OEM ram used in these.

Last edited:
HP 6300 / 8300 Compatible
G.Skill Ram on sale at Newegg.com

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428
I'm using an 8GB kit of this ram in my HP 6300 MicroTower. Works flawlessly. You can buy two 8GB kits and populate all four of the ram slots. 16 GB is a perfect amount for gaming and general video and photo editing. On Sale for $56.99 per kit
20-231-428-02.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back