Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP 6300 Pro / HP 8300 Elite - A 100 percent Working and Easily Affordable CustoMac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you connected via your graphics card to the monitor or to the onboard DP on the HP 6300 ? Is it a digital connection on your monitor? You did get macOS Sierra from the Mac app store and made the USB drive on a real Mac ? Restored factory defaults in BIOS and then disabled the Serial port ? You are on BIOS ver.02.99 right ? I have basically the exact same hardware that you do. So I know that it works, even without any additional boot flags. Try checkmarking the box for "Don't reboot on Panic" in Clover boot options as well as verbose booting again. Take another picture of the screen where it panics. Post it here.

I finally got everything to work!! Early on in the setup process I installed my GTX 1050 graphics card and hooked up my new monitor by DP cord. Machine checked out fine but I couldn't get the BIOS to show up on my monitor until I unhooked it and replaced it with an old monitor connected by VGA. BIG MISTAKE!! I was able to update my BIOS and everything continued fine until the Sierra install when I got the repeated panics. After completely redownloading Sierra and remaking from scratch my Unibeast boot loader without success (yes, several painful hours!!) I finally switched back to my new monitor and unplugged the vga...............BINGO. Sierra installed on the next try.
Once again, can't thank you enough for your guide and help. I would have been completely lost without your help. Posting and hoping everyone learns from my mistake.

I finally got everything to work!! Early on in the setup process I installed my GTX 1050 graphics card and hooked up my new monitor by DP cord. Machine checked out fine but I couldn't get the BIOS to show up on my monitor until I unhooked it and replaced it with an old monitor connected by VGA. I finally switched back to my new monitor and unplugged the vga...............BINGO. Sierra installed on the next try.
Some 4K monitors will not work for setting up the BIOS so it's sometimes necessary to use an older monitor with a VGA connection first for the BIOS update and setup in steps two and three. That's the only time that temporary use of VGA is required. Don't know if it's only specific 4K monitors or all of them that won't work for the first few steps of the guide. We'll need to get more feedback from others that are attempting this build. Glad to hear you stayed with it and got the install completed.

Great Deal on an Elite 8300 @ Newegg

Elite 8300 SFF with 8GB ram and SSD
This is a unique offering from Arrow-Direct on Newegg. You get a quad core I5-3470, an SSD boot drive (Win10 installed) and 8 GB of ram all for $145. So if you aren't going to use Windows, you could install macOS onto the SSD. Add a compatible graphics card like a GT710 and you're all set for under $200. You'll have a general use CustoMac that is fast and efficient.

Will greatly outperform any used Mac Mini you could buy for $200 or less. Looking at Ebay offerings, the best you'll get for 2 Ben Franklins is a slow Core 2 Duo CPU, an even slower 5400 rpm hard drive and a minimal 4 GB of ram. Worse yet, the Mini will probably lose support from Apple in a few years. That means you're stuck with an older version of macOS when a better version is released. At least you could still use one with Sierra as an iTunes jukebox.

An 8GB ram kit currently costs about $75 and a used I5-3470 around $70. So for the cost of just those two components, $145, you're also getting a case, psu, motherboard, optical drive and SSD all for free. Then you could even add on the $100 value of a Windows 10 Pro license if you need to use Win10 for gaming or other things. Nice !

Last edited:
Nevermind! I should have googled it first. I disabled wake for network access in the energy saver preferences and all is working correctly!

I initially had the same issue with the Fenvi card and found that exact fix too. trs96...maybe another hackintosh rookie tip to add to the guide?

I initially had the same issue with the Fenvi card and found that exact fix too. trs96...maybe another hackintosh rookie tip to add to the guide?
Done. See step 8c.

Pleased to report fantastic sound with onboard audio.

Followed the guide, added a Klipsch 4.1 speaker setup I dusted off from storage (just setup as two pair of split stereo speakers plus sub). Sounds amazing.

Added some Rogue Amoeba Airfoil Satellite for Mac software which allows me to airplay to a Mac Mini running Airfoil which then rebeams the airplay audio simultaneously to an audio receiver, two airport express + speakers, one old iPod touch sitting in a Sony 30 pin dock unit (great sound available for dirt cheap) and now a hackintosh, all controllable from any of the Macs, MacBooks or iPhones in the house, with individually adjustable volumes, etc.

Yay!

Complete Ten Step Sierra Guide for the HP 6300/8300 Desktop PC

Those video cards mentioned here, aren't available in my city so are there any other working cards?
I saw available: GT 630. GT 730. Quadro 600. etc

Last edited by a moderator:
Those video cards mentioned here, aren't available in my city so are there any other working cards?
I saw available: GT 630. GT 730. Quadro 600. etc

I've used a Nvidia GT 640 with success. Some have used the GT 630/730. I don't have direct experience with those. For quadro cards, the newer P400 will work but be aware that it only has 3 MDP (mini displayport) outputs, no HDMI.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...3647&cm_re=quadro_p400-_-14-133-647-_-Product

14-133-647-Z02.jpg

Thanks. Thank you very much. Just forget askin' Nvidia 210, is it working?
Don't know. The GT610 doesn't work well with Sierra. There are better choices. Any GT 710 where you live ? Can you get anything shipped via Ebay ? Be aware that when you use older Nvidia cards like the GT630/730 that the onboard audio may not work and you may need to use adapters to get HDMI audio to work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back