Contribute
Register

[Guide] How to patch DSDT for working battery status

How to patch DSDT for working battery status

Thanks for the writeup and work Rehabman, it's superb.

Managed to create a patch for my Surface Pro 2 and it all seems to be working, except I get the "Service Battery" alert in the battery dropdown on the menu bar. My cycle count is only 25 in the System Info, there seems to be nothing wrong on the Windows side, but Coconut Battery doesn't recognize the battery at all.

Do you reckon is it something to be concerned about? And would you know if is there a way to disable this message?

Thanks!

Thanks for the writeup and work Rehabman, it's superb.

Managed to create a patch for my Surface Pro 2 and it all seems to be working, except I get the "Service Battery" alert in the battery dropdown on the menu bar. My cycle count is only 25 in the System Info, there seems to be nothing wrong on the Windows side, but Coconut Battery doesn't recognize the battery at all.

Do you reckon is it something to be concerned about? And would you know if is there a way to disable this message?

Thanks!

Post ioreg and I'll look: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html

For Coconut, you need to patch it. See the repo for the shell script.

Attachments

• SP2.zip
    450 KB · Views: 57

Thanks RehabMan, i'll patch Coconut tomorrow and check it out.
ioreg attached.

See what happens if you disable the second battery:
Code:
# disable secondary battery
into method label _STA parent_label BAT1 replace_content begin Return(0) end;

Thanks RehabMan.

With the second battery disabled, the battery charge percentage in the menubar would say 100% and still charging, coconut would show the battery capacity as not full. The battery monitor in hwsensors would report over 100%. After a reboot, it would report 'service battery'. Seems like it is needed.

I did a hard reset of the device, re-enabled the second battery (took off the dsdt edit) and it turned normal again. Seems to be alright now.

Hello! The "Asus N55SL/VivoBook" battery patch works perfect in a Asus Q550 laptop. Thanks for the hard work!

Power Management for Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge Laptops

Is it driver or the more high-level platform that decides if the battery is low and that the computer needs to go to sleep?

With dual batteries, this is quite a nuisance when the first battery goes flat: the battery icon shows 50% and "Battery low".

Also, the time estimate, it comes out, applies to only the first battery. Is there a way to mitigate this?

Is it driver or the more high-level platform that decides if the battery is low and that the computer needs to go to sleep?

With dual batteries, this is quite a nuisance when the first battery goes flat: the battery icon shows 50% and "Battery low".

Also, the time estimate, it comes out, applies to only the first battery. Is there a way to mitigate this?

Not a power management issue -- moved to battery status thread.

The battery kext just provides status on the battery and notifies the system that the status has been updated. Read the code for more information.

It is the higher level system that provides the user interface...

Multiple battery support should be considered a work-in-progress as I have no systems with multiple batteries, and there is little information on how it is supposed to work.

Just saw this post sorry. Well I can tell you after the patch it worked perfectly. Honestly I just looked for registers higher than 8 bits and tried changing them. I used your Lenovo Y580 battery patch as a reference and your patch and my dsdt both had ENIB ERIB registers. And with the SMAA that was an overlook on my end. I can assure you that after that patch my battery status was working perfectly, without any problems or inaccuracies.

Just saw this post sorry. Well I can tell you after the patch it worked perfectly. Honestly I just looked for registers higher than 8 bits and tried changing them. I used your Lenovo Y580 battery patch as a reference and your patch and my dsdt both had ENIB ERIB registers. And with the SMAA that was an overlook on my end. I can assure you that after that patch my battery status was working perfectly, without any problems or inaccuracies.

You must be referring to this post: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...sdt-working-battery-status-20.html#post751520

I believe you, it is just that the patch wasn't necessary at all...

Back