Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Haswell System - MacOS Monterey 12.0.1 OC 0.7.5

Yes you are able to run a dual screen setup with an RX580, I did for many years using two Dell U2515H displays running 2560x1440 resolution, with this and other Haswell systems.

The above assumes that the RX580 you have obtained is running with a standard bios. If it has a non-standard bios, i.e. because it was used in a Bitcoin mining rig for example, then you may need to flash the bios to get the dual screens to work.

The EFI linked in post #110 will work in Ventura. But it assumes you have disabled the IGPU in the bios and are using the correct SMBIOS for Ventura.

#110 Updated EFI for Ventura 13.1

the guide is in post 1

please update your hardware profile to allow others to help you easier
Updated!!
And Monterey installed and working like a real Mac. Next step, try to install Ventura. With this config, what SMBIOS have use?? I'm now using for Monterey iMac 17.1, when I try to update, the Ventura installer does not appear in software update.
It must be because the SMBIOS iMac 17.1 can no longer be updated to Ventura, so with my configuration, which SMBIOS should I use?

Thanks

Yes you are able to run a dual screen setup with an RX580, I did for many years using two Dell U2515H displays running 2560x1440 resolution, with this and other Haswell systems.

The above assumes that the RX580 you have obtained is running with a standard bios. If it has a non-standard bios, i.e. because it was used in a Bitcoin mining rig for example, then you may need to flash the bios to get the dual screens to work.

The EFI linked in post #110 will work in Ventura. But it assumes you have disabled the IGPU in the bios and are using the correct SMBIOS for Ventura.

#110 Updated EFI for Ventura 13.1
@Edhawk, what is the correct SMBIOS that I should use to install Ventura in my configuration?

Updated!!
And Monterey installed and working like a real Mac. Next step, try to install Ventura. With this config, what SMBIOS have use?? I'm now using for Monterey iMac 17.1, when I try to update, the Ventura installer does not appear in software update.
It must be because the SMBIOS iMac 17.1 can no longer be updated to Ventura, so with my configuration, which SMBIOS should I use?

Thanks
iMac18,1

Good to hear you have Monterey up and running on your Haswell system.

As @Feartech said iMac18,1 SMBIOS would be good for Ventura, but if you plan to upgrade to Sonoma, then MacPro7,1 or iMacPro1,1 would be better.

These two ‘Pro’ SMBIOS are best used when the IGPU is not in use. So as Apple dropped the Haswell IGPU completely from Ventura, you need to use just the RX 580 for all graphics processes. I think it best to disable the IGPU in the Bios when running with either of the ‘Pro’ SMBIOS’s as neither expects an IGPU to be present.

The MacPro7,1 or iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS will work with Ventura and Sonoma.

Captura de Pantalla 2023-10-19 a las 13.35.18.png
Captura de Pantalla 2023-10-19 a las 13.43.45.png
Thanks@Feartech and@Edhawk!!
I'm downloading Sonoma (with Mac Pro 7.1 SMBIOS) from system update, I try to install Sonoma in my old Haswell.
I'm going to install Sonoma, see if I can get it.
And if I get it, I'll tell it in the thread.
See you soon!!

Hi,

I'm installing Monterey and have the same setup as you. I'm coming from Big Sur.

Can you share your EFI that you have running Monterey?

Thanks -
Updated!!

Thanks

Oh yeah - I'm getting an RX580 as well to replace my IGPU.

Last edited:
Now,this attached messasge appears.
Is it possible to make the memory that I have installed recognized? I have 32 GB of RAM installed.
Thanks for the help.
Greetings from Spain.

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2023-11-01 a las 11.21.00.png
    Captura de pantalla 2023-11-01 a las 11.21.00.png
    45.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Captura de pantalla 2023-11-01 a las 11.23.37.png
    Captura de pantalla 2023-11-01 a las 11.23.37.png
    15.1 KB · Views: 21
Hi,

I'm installing Monterey and have the same setup as you. I'm coming from Big Sur.

Can you share your EFI that you have running Monterey?

Thanks -

Oh yeah - I'm getting an RX580 as well to replace my IGPU.
Post #195 is your solution. Change to SMBIOS iMac18.1,it will be fine for Monterey and Ventura..

Back