Contribute
Register

[Guide] HackrNVMeFamily co-existence with IONVMeFamily using class-code spoof

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big thanks to @RehabMan and @Macincrash for all your help, I got everything done. But there is one more thing, how do I prepare the USB before installation to M.2 drive?

Big thanks to @RehabMan and @Macincrash for all your help, I got everything done. But there is one more thing, how do I prepare the USB before installation to M.2 drive?

As per post #1, this method applies to the USB installer:
- SSDT in ACPI/patched
- HackrNVMeFamily kext (generated with --spoof option) in EFI/Clover/kexts/Other

Successfully make my PM951 NVMe SAMSUNG working, thanks a ton RehabMan.
FYI, I've patched DSTD before and replaced all existed _DSM, so if combine with Clover patch to replace _DSM, it will ends up with this error:

Code:
Unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\".\n"@/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/xnu/xnu-3789.21.4/iokit/kernel/IOPlatformExpert.com:1667

So I have to leave the clover patch out for it to work.
Hope can help others like me.

Yes... _DSM->XDSM patch would be incompatible with anyone doing static patching of ACPI files.
I have added a note to that effect in post #1.

Hi @RehabMan

Thanks for your guides, they have enabled me to get my 960 Pro 1TB working on my system after deleting IONVMeFamily.kext and installing the HackrNVMeFamily 10.12.1 kext. I have been able to get Sierra to see the drive and format it, however before I clone my hard drive over to the 960, I really want to make it show up as an internal drive.

Is there a good step by step instruction somewhere? Or a clover patch? Thank you!

Thank you @RehabMan for taking the time to make a guide.I ordered a Samsung 960 Pro and I have a few questions.I'm a complete noob so forgive my stupidty.
  1. If i understood right I have to install IONVMeFamily.kext and then follow your guide but mustn't change the config as described in another guide.
  2. The IONVMeFamily.kext and the HackrNVMeFamily*.kext are two different kext for the same purpose your guide enables us to run both side by side?
  3. Where can I download the IONVMeFamily.kext
  4. Do i have to install does files again once i installed mac os on the ssd or does clover transfer them somehow
  5. Is this the right way to go or should I just install one of the kexts.

A big thank you to everyone for taking your time

Last edited:
Hi @RehabMan

Thanks for your guides, they have enabled me to get my 960 Pro 1TB working on my system after deleting IONVMeFamily.kext and installing the HackrNVMeFamily 10.12.1 kext. I have been able to get Sierra to see the drive and format it, however before I clone my hard drive over to the 960, I really want to make it show up as an internal drive.

Is there a good step by step instruction somewhere? Or a clover patch? Thank you!

Read post #1.

Thank you @RehabMan for taking the time to make a guide.I ordered a Samsung 960 Pro and I have a few questions.I'm a complete noob so forgive my stupidty.
  1. If i understood right I have to install IONVMeFamily.kext and then follow your guide but mustn't change the config as described in another guide.
  2. The IONVMeFamily.kext and the HackrNVMeFamily*.kext are two different kext for the same purpose your guide enables us to run both side by side?
  3. Where can I download the IONVMeFamily.kext
  4. Do i have to install does files again once i installed mac os on the ssd or does clover transfer them somehow
  5. Is this the right way to go or should I just install one of the kexts.

A big thank you to everyone for taking your time

1. IONVMeFamily.kext is installed by the macOS/OS X installer.
2. HackrNVMeFamily.kext is a patched version of IONVMeFamily.kext. If you do the class-code spoof as described in post #1, they can co-exist.
3. Read answer to #1 above.
4. No idea what you're asking.
5. Post #1 provides complete details on the "right way".

1. IONVMeFamily.kext is installed by the macOS/OS X installer.
2. HackrNVMeFamily.kext is a patched version of IONVMeFamily.kext. If you do the class-code spoof as described in post #1, they can co-exist.
3. Read answer to #1 above.
4. No idea what you're asking.
5. Post #1 provides complete details on the "right way".
Thank you for your quick reply I'm looking forward to trying everything out.

So the only way to find the device ACPI id, is by installing Windows?

You can discover it from ioreg (read post #1 and related links).
This guide is written to assume you have not installed OS X/macOS yet, so it uses Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back