Contribute
Register

[Guide] HackrNVMeFamily co-existence with IONVMeFamily using class-code spoof

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK. I did it. Now it works. What I did differently was, when I execute in terminal ./patch_nvme.sh --spoof 10_12_3 command, first I dragged and dropped the folder downloaded from github to enter the paht to the file and after that path I wrote the name of the file with the spoof argument.

OK. I did it. Now it works. What I did differently was, when I execute in terminal ./patch_nvme.sh --spoof 10_12_3 command, first I dragged and dropped the folder downloaded from github to enter the paht to the file and after that path I wrote the name of the file with the spoof argument.

Please note that the guide in post #1 does not use any kind of Finder drag/drop... because none is necessary.

Instead of updating the other thread I'd rather post here for everyone to find (my mistakes).

I'm trying for the life of it to get my second NVME drive working with the ASUS Hyper M.2 x4 Mini-card. Setup as follows:
2680 v3
X99 TUF Sabertooth (1x M.2, 1x AIC M.2)

Slot layout:
PCIE16_1 = GPU
PCIE1_1 = disabled
PCIE4_1 = TB3
PCIE16_2 = M.2 AIC
PCI1_2 = WiFi (not currently installed)
PCIE16_3 = disabled

So, the SSD (960 Pro) in the primary M.2. slot works fine, but as soon as I insert the AIC-card with a 950 Pro (detected in Windows just fine) I get a KP (attached) very early.

Without the M.2 slot occupied, so only the AIC inserted and macOS running from SATA SSD (for testing) the system boots but the AIC M.2 SSD is not found in macOS (it is in Windows).

So the problem seems to lie with the AIC, as far a I can tell, that is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I sincerely hope it's not something stupid.

Attachments

• IMG_20170307_190049.jpg
    IMG_20170307_190049.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 129
  • IMG_20170309_155623.jpg
    IMG_20170309_155623.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 120
  • IMG_20170309_155634.jpg
    IMG_20170309_155634.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 130
  • IMG_20170309_155854.jpg
    IMG_20170309_155854.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 134
  • IMG_20170309_155906.jpg
    IMG_20170309_155906.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 124
  • IMG_20170309_171320.jpg
    IMG_20170309_171320.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 112
  • IOReg 950 PCI-E M.2 AIC.ioreg
    7.2 MB · Views: 100
  • IOReg 960 M.2.ioreg
    7.3 MB · Views: 77
  • CLOVER.zip
    3.5 MB · Views: 82
Instead of updating the other thread I'd rather post here for everyone to find (my mistakes).

I'm trying for the life of it to get my second NVME drive working with the ASUS Hyper M.2 x4 Mini-card. Setup as follows:
2680 v3
X99 TUF Sabertooth (1x M.2, 1x AIC M.2)

Slot layout:
PCIE16_1 = GPU
PCIE1_1 = disabled
PCIE4_1 = TB3
PCIE16_2 = M.2 AIC
PCI1_2 = WiFi (not currently installed)
PCIE16_3 = disabled

So, the SSD (960 Pro) in the primary M.2. slot works fine, but as soon as I insert the AIC-card with a 950 Pro (detected in Windows just fine) I get a KP (attached) very early.

Without the M.2 slot occupied, so only the AIC inserted and macOS running from SATA SSD (for testing) the system boots but the AIC M.2 SSD is not found in macOS (it is in Windows).

So the problem seems to lie with the AIC, as far a I can tell, that is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I sincerely hope it's not something stupid.

I think Clover is messing with your ACPI configuration...
Too many "Fixes" in config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/Fixes.
Many of those Clover fixes don't work properly in all scenarios. Best to fix these things manually.
Remove each one until you find the problematic setting.

I think Clover is messing with your ACPI configuration...
Too many "Fixes" in config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/Fixes.
Many of those Clover fixes don't work properly in all scenarios. Best to fix these things manually.
Remove each one until you find the problematic setting.

Turns out it wasn't any of this; these changes didn't matter.

It was the HDMI SSDT by Toleda I had, which was unupdated for this system, and accidentally had the same reference as the GPU (BR2A), which caused KP.

Now Clover has another problem where it doesn't even properly load, but shows 0:000 Not Found - Another problem, perhaps another topic.

Turns out it wasn't any of this; these changes didn't matter.

It was the HDMI SSDT by Toleda I had, which was unupdated for this system, and accidentally had the same reference as the GPU (BR2A), which caused KP.

Now Clover has another problem where it doesn't even properly load, but shows 0:000 Not Found - Another problem, perhaps another topic.

Yes, I see you have this sort of sketchy code messing with the _ADR assignments:
Code:
    Scope (\_SB.PCI0.BR2A)
    {
        Device (GFX0)
        {
            Name (_ADR, Zero)  // _ADR: Address
            Name (_SUN, One)  // _SUN: Slot User Number
            Method (_INI, 0, NotSerialized)  // _INI: Initialize
            {
                Store (0x0F, \_SB.PCI0.BR2A.H000._ADR)
            }

Bad idea... (as are all the Clover ACPI "Fixes").

Thank you! With this guide I was able to get my 960 EVO working with just a few minutes of effort.
I just got a 960 EVO and I can not find the download link for the IONVMeFamily.kext. Can you point me in the right direction?

I just got a 960 EVO and I can not find the download link for the IONVMeFamily.kext. Can you point me in the right direction?

No need to download it. It is installed by the OS X/macOS installer.

Success report :headbang:

Hardware:
- Samsung 960 Pro 1TB (MZ-V6P1T0BW)
- old HDD Raptor 73GB Sata 1 !!!
- Ballistix Sport LT 64GB Kit (16Gox4) DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) Memory
- i7 6700K Skylake
- Motherboard GA-Z170X-UD5 TH

Software:
- Motherboard Bios F5 then F20 (aferter issues with multiple boot entry with NMVe)
- Tonymac user guide for 10.12.1 install
- Download software you can found here the Guide to understand & build
- Ioregistry (at the end of the post)
- Xcode
- MaciASL
- And of course Rehabman's patchnvme (thank's to him :clap:)
+ EFI mounter V3
+ Kext Utility
+ Onyx (used to launch Directory Utility (for enable root acces in terminal)Dont start on my buid ...

My tool Box

View attachment 229007

Install process i used:
- Setup the original Bios F5 rev. First boot drive is HDD (not NVMe) + install like describe Tonymac and i show in this video
- On this fresh install i folowed this
- to go faster use Ioregistry explorer to verify you Samsung NVMe is _SB.PCI0.RP09.PXSX (normaly it should be)
View attachment 229009

- Make My SSDT-NVMe-Pcc.aml (if you have the same motherboard & NVMe and use the same process you can use this file)
In most case to write your text file read the RehabMan post about why it's better to add "built-in", Buffer() { 0 },
not mentioned in the Guide to understand & build i started to work with
AND
because text edit is not a true text editor
the right way is open the page of your browser to the page with text code
Copy the text from first / to last O
and past directy to your new emtpy file
Modify BY TYPING WITH YOU KEYBOARD the right value
and compile it
then save as
Name: SSDT-NVMe-Pcc.aml
Format: ACPI Machine Language Binary

To see all files (Show Hidden Files on macOS Sierra, OS X El Capitan & Yosemite)
Launch Terminal
Code:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES;killall Finder /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app

then copy it to ==> my toolbox
+
(used UEFI mounter V3) in HDD/EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched
+ (used UEFI mounter V3) in USBinstaller/EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched

- Make My HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_1.kext
then copy it to
==> my toolbox
+
(used UEFI mounter V3) in USBinstaller/EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other
+ (used Kext Utility) for install into HDD/System/Library/Extensions
(i like this tools for fast install Kext and rebuild cache & permission)

- Reboot on HDD & use disk utility to see your NVMe :thumbup:
- Reboot and disable in Bios the HDD success installed 10.12.1 :wave: Enable NVMe primaty Bootable UEFI

At this point i had a problem with the bios rev. F5 how show me mant NVMe duplicated after may install test of course :banghead:
The clue worked fine for me is upgrading with the Last Bios Rev. F20 from this Motherbord
(this rev. could'nt be downgradable :sick::sick:) ==> but everything is fine now !!! :mrgreen:

- Continue... Boot on USBinstaller (it's slow to boot but arrrive to Install / use Disk Utility / Format HFS + GUID part = Install)
- After the first part install (before configuring your new hack) like 10.12.1 need reboot with the USBinstaller IN
(because you don't have installed clover with multibeast at this point)
- Finish to Install 10.12.1 process part 2 DO NOT REBOOT
- Launch Multibeast (thank's TonyMac) and configure all like you see in the vidéo (thank's Cmfusco11)
DO NOT REBOOT

- Install HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_1.kext (used Kext Utility) for install into NVMe/System/Library/Extensions (&/or L/E)
- Copy (used UEFI mounter V3 select the right EFI boot disk) in NVMe/EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched

- REBOOT :p (without the USBinstaller) and Enjoy :clap:

Bench:
Because Disk Speed Test give me 2000 Mb in read and Write :crazy:
i used
:ugeek: AJA Benchmarck :ugeek: (google it)
View attachment 229021

Big thanks for you support RehabMan!!!

And also big thanks denis.fr, for your very useful description in page 7 I successfully patched my new Samsung 960 PRO M.2 and install latest Sierra OS on my GA-Z170X-UD5-TH as UEFI boot drive

Unfortunately I very upset with my speed test, because I don't know how to manage setup for M.2 960 pro and therefor I'm not 100% sure if I did setup correctly :crazy:

I have upgrade GA-Z170X-UD5-TH to new bios F21.

I have almost similar hardware setup as your, only mine 960 pro M.2 512GB instead of your 1GB

I see that your test a lot more as mine: write 2152 read 2680 instead of my speed-test 1353-1454:(

Could I ask you how did you manage this?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back