Contribute
Register

Guide: GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 with ATI 6870 - Clean ML/Lion Install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Guide: GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 with ATI 6870 - Clean Lion Install

swalk said:
To get Lion on a USB drive via xMove you need to mount InstallESD.dmg.

So if you already have a computer with Lion, it probably deleted that DMG. Here's how to get it back again:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/31 ... 0&tstart=0

Basically, redownload Lion from the App Store. Find the DMG and mount it (double click it). Then format a USB Drive (Mac OSX Journaled format) and run xMove.

i tried this and xmove wouldn't move lion to my 8gb usb stick. also ive already tried the tonymac method and i cannot get the installer partition to boot into the installation, it hangs on the apple screen with spinning wheel.

i wish we could just do a fresh install with iboot already! :banghead:

i got 10.6.8 to install flawlessly but lion is a real PITA.

fixxxer2012 said:
swalk said:

So if you already have a computer with Lion, it probably deleted that DMG. Here's how to get it back again:

Basically, redownload Lion from the App Store. Find the DMG and mount it (double click it). Then format a USB Drive (Mac OSX Journaled format) and run xMove.

i tried this and xmove wouldn't move lion to my 8gb usb stick. also ive already tried the tonymac method and i cannot get the installer partition to boot into the installation, it hangs on the apple screen with spinning wheel.

You're doing it wrong then. Plain and simple. Did you format the disk first as an HFS volume?

Gordo74 said:
tom5151 said:
Thanks, it could be the point :)
But I've no network interface if I install Lnx2MAc's ethernet driver.
How did you get it to work ?

I used his new release which should be out anyday. For now, use the Official one.
Thanks for the news.
I'll be waiting for the next release :thumbup:

Tnx for the guide :thumbup:
Make a clean install on the P55A-UD3, i5 750, GT240CilentCell. For now work well but i not full tested yet. I hope make a full test this week.

Gordo74 said:
That may not work. I'd get a monitor with DVI.
I would not be surprised if it does not work and I'd be happy if it does. The adapter is in any case on its way to me and I'll try it out with a borrowed Cinema Display.

The specs for the mobo says that the DP output goes to 2560x1600 while HDMI and DVI are limited to 1920x1200. That's why I'm interested in trying the DP. In my work that would be very valuable.

Gordo74 said:
fixxxer2012 said:
swalk said:

You're doing it wrong then. Plain and simple. Did you format the disk first as an HFS volume?

im not doing anything wrong unless my 8gb usb is jacked. yes i formatted it hfs. xmove refuses to put anything on there for me. even tonymacs xmove+multibeast does not work, im stuck at a endless spinning wheel. :beachball:

ive tried 4 different guides on installing lion and none of them work on my pc, i have compatible specs too as 10.6.8 installs fine.

ive given up until iboot for lion is here. been up all night trying! even rboot doesn't load the lion install partition. :banghead:

fixxxer2012 said:
im not doing anything wrong unless my 8gb usb is jacked. yes i formatted it hfs. xmove refuses to put anything on there for me. even tonymacs xmove+multibeast does not work, im stuck at a endless spinning wheel. :beachball:

ive given up until iboot for lion is here.

Where do you get the spinner?

And I wouldn't hold your breath on iboot for Lion, we arent close and we wont alter the install files, so xmove is as close as we can get ATM.

Gordo74 said:
fixxxer2012 said:

ive given up until iboot for lion is here.

Where do you get the spinner?

And I wouldn't hold your breath on iboot for Lion, we arent close and we wont alter the install files, so xmove is as close as we can get ATM.

i get the endless spinning wheel and no hdd activity after i do the xmove to the installer partition. it hangs at the apple boot screen forever. i tried your mod and xmove refuses to move anything to the usb stick, it errors out. i also tried 3 different guides on insanleymac last night and today. the closest i got was in one guide on how to make a bootable dvd, i got to the lion install screen but my usb keyboard and mouse would not work. so ive given up, too time consuming.

i hope you guys can get iboot or it looks like alot of us will not get lion without buying a mac computer.

I was able to get exactly half way through the Lion installation when it stopped and showed an error screen with a large warning symbol.

I tried a few times, removed half of my 8GB of RAM, disconnected my 2nd monitor, and unplugged all of my extra USB devices.

I have attached a log file. It looked like it was trying to install foreign language extras. When I tried the installer again and tried to customize the installation, there were no options that I could de-select - the windows were completely blank.

Wondering if my USB installer drive was not created correctly. There was no confirmation screen after xMove apparently completed. There was some strange installer icon with a finder window that I didn't know what to do with.

Disk Utility says that it has 27,869 files in 8,918 folders using 4,430,368,768 bytes. Can someone tell me if that matches theirs? I am pretty sure that my Lion installer includes the 10.7.1 update in it.

UPDATE: I just ran xMove again this morning after erasing the USB drive and saw that it completed successfully. Disk Utility now reports that it has 27,859 files in 8,920 folders using 4,430,217,216 bytes. Less files but more folders? Will try this USB drive later tonight. Anyone have an explanation?

Attachments

• Installer Log 20-Sep-2011.txt
    42.4 KB · Views: 174

fixxxer2012 said:
i get the endless spinning wheel and no hdd activity after i do the xmove to the installer partition. it hangs at the apple boot screen forever. i tried your mod and xmove refuses to move anything to the usb stick, it errors out. i also tried 3 different guides on insanleymac last night and today. the closest i got was in one guide on how to make a bootable dvd, i got to the lion install screen but my usb keyboard and mouse would not work. so ive given up, too time consuming.

I was stuck like this for a while. Gordo's setup has a graphics card and mine does not. So I would get stuck when Lion tried to display the logon screen. Setting GraphicsEnabler=No got me past that point, but isn't a good solution. Configuring the BIOS to allocate some memory to graphics seems to have fixed it. Your solution may be different. I found the answers here but it took a lot of searching and reading.

Gordo's approach is the best I've seen but I did need to address a couple of things before it worked for me. It can be frustrating and time consuming but, in the long run, less so than using Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back