Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
I9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
I finally upgraded from El Capitan to High Sierra 10.13.3 successfully on this GA-X58A motherboard. After a few roadblocks, that I overcame, everything seems to be working including (sleep, shutdown, audio, network, etc..) USB 3.0 doesn't seem to work, as I haven't tried to fix it with the controller being disabled in bios. I'm ok with that.

I will be linking and combining a few guides so its all in one place.

Here are the steps I took:

1. Backup your current working machine

Use Carbon Copy or Superduper, I backed up and made sure it was a startup disk so I can migrate all my data later, instead of reinstalling all apps from scratch.

2. Download High Sierra Installer

Google: High Sierra Patcher Tool for High Sierra or Mojave Patcher Tool for Mojave (dosdude1)

3. Make sure bios is updated on Motherboard, for v2 its FH version.

Check website for latest bios: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-X58A-UD3R-rev-20#support-dl

4. Create 2 USB Boot drives

As explained by cSoul in this post (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/success-10-7-5-lion-10-13-2-high-sierra.240960/)
  • Create bootable Unibeast Install Drive (Legacy) following this guide: Click Here
  • Create bootable USB from Step 2 above, it shows you how in Step 3 on the website.
Once you have both drives created, copy the EFI created partition from the Unibeast install drive to the EFI partition on the drive created above. So, you only have to use 1 USB drive to boot. *This is what I did, and it worked* Since I'm staying with HFS hard drives this worked for me. I didn't want to upgrade my drive to the new APFS protocol since this system is an older system. The Unibeast USB installer didn't recognize the HFS drives properly.

5. Format SSD & Install High Sierra

Once booted, format your SSD, follow these steps in Step 4: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-any-supported-intel-based-pc.235474/#install

If you want to keep your drives in HFS, you must also do step #9, which requires using Terminal and typing (/Volumes/Image\ Volume/No-Convert)

Complete the MacOs Installation in Step 4 and Post Installation using MultiBeast in Step 5: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...supported-intel-based-pc.235474/#post_install

*Note: Its going to ask you to create a new Admin UserId when setting up High Sierra for the first time, I created something different than my backed up userID, because after I restore everything using Migration Assistant, I will be deleting this Admin User.

6. MultiBeast Options

Choose Legacy Boot Mode
Under Drivers
  • Audio - ALC889
  • Disk - default
  • Misc - default[/SIZE]
  • Network - RealtexRTL8111 v2.21
  • USB - default[/SIZE]
  • Bootloaders - Clover Legacy
  • System Definitions: iMac 14,2
Click Build - Install to SSD

I used the default DSDT and DID NOT replace it, I tried to replace it with one downloaded from database and lost audio.

If you have an NVIDIA card - download the Alternate Graphic Drivers for it

eSATA Drive? - follow this guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...seen-after-10-13-upgrade.233209/#post-1594667

7. Migration Assistant

If you backed up your system, (I hope you did or get ready to spend hours re-installing) now you can use Migration Assistant to restore all your apps and data. Plug in your backed up startup disk and launch Migration Assistant. When checking the boxes on what to restore, UNCHECK "Other files and folders", or your system won't boot.

Once done, enjoy your new High Sierra system with all your data.

Hope this helps someone out. As mine is running good so far on this old rig.

Last edited:
Nice guide. Did we ever get NEC USB 3.0 kext or workaround back for this board? Sucks not having USB 3. Sucks more loosing 2 ports.

Not that I know of. Does suck, but I have had this system running for years and it still runs great. I've got used to normal USB on this system and it's fine for me. I have network storage so I backup that way.

Thanks for the Guide! (And sorry I didn't see your question in the previous thread).

I let my system convert my drive to APFS.

The big stumbling block for me, and the reason I couldn't see the new install at first, was that I have an MX100 SSD, which had the "new" 4k sector thing. There was a fix I needed to do to get the system to work.

Side note: There are a number of add-in USB 3 cards that work natively on this system-- cheaply. Like $10-20, pop it into the mobo... works at full speed. Quick google will bring up the current options (you need to check for a specific chipset on the add-in card that I don't remember off the top of my head.)

Cheers!

Ok this is caused by the iMac14,2 system definition. If you use iMac14,2 with a 1366 board, your going to be locked to a low Speedstep state (x12 1.6ghz) for me. So if you have a 1366 board, use iMac14,2 to download the installer and to install High Sierra, then after successful install you'll need to switch to MacPro4,1 or MacPro5,1 to get the processor running at full speed. This will happen regardless of whether Speedstep/EIST is enabled or disabled in BIOS.

Hello,shdwkeeperexcuse me, do you have any problems with wake up restart ? If so how can you solve it?

@t5899, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard, CPU and Graphics Card.
If you have a prebuilt computer enter make and model instead of motherboard (Mobo).
The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.

Ok this is caused by the iMac14,2 system definition. If you use iMac14,2 with a 1366 board, your going to be locked to a low Speedstep state (x12 1.6ghz) for me. So if you have a 1366 board, use iMac14,2 to download the installer and to install High Sierra, then after successful install you'll need to switch to MacPro4,1 or MacPro5,1 to get the processor running at full speed. This will happen regardless of whether Speedstep/EIST is enabled or disabled in BIOS.

So, how do I check if mine is having same issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back