Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Working build: all hardware but USB 3.0 recognized and named correctly, sleep works.

Guide as per the iBoot & MultiBeast guide. Guide below will only mention differences.

Hardware
  • Gigabyte GA-H67MA-UD2H-B3 (1.1), F4 BIOS[/*:m:2mhmimzg]
  • Intel Core i5 2500[/*:m:2mhmimzg]
  • MSI R5770 Hawk 1GB[/*:m:2mhmimzg]
  • 8GB Kingston ValueRAM KVR1333D3N9K2/8G[/*:m:2mhmimzg]
  • OCZ Vertex 2 SATA II 2.5" SSD 60GB[/*:m:2mhmimzg]

Extra preperations
After initial install, the ethernet card was not recognized, so the combo update, multibeast and DSDT should be put on an USB stick prior to installing.

STEP 1: BIOS SETTINGS
As per guide

STEP 2: INSTALL MAC OS X
I used the Snow Leopard Golden Master (10A432) 10.6.0 Retail DVD.
When in iBoot and the Install DVD is inserted, use flag -x to successfully start the install.

STEP 3: UPDATE TO 10.6.8 (was: 10.6.7)
Instead of going to 10.6.7, use the 10.6.8 Combo Update which you put on the USB stick.
After the install of 10.6.8, I had a sudden kernel panic. Although the guide says 'DON'T REBOOT', I was able to reboot into the fresh 10.6.8 installation through iBoot!

STEP 4: MULTIBEAST
Select the following:
  • UserDSDT (and put the DSDT from your USB stick on the Desktop)[/*:m:2mhmimzg]
  • All sys utils[/*:m:2mhmimzg]
  • Audio: ALC8xxxHDA, AppleHDA Rollback[/*:m:2mhmimzg]
  • Disc: JMicron36x SATA & eSATA (makes sure drives show as internal instead of external (yellow))[/*:m:2mhmimzg]
  • Misc: FakeSMC, NullCPUPowerManagement, USB 3.0[/*:m:2mhmimzg]
  • Network: Realtek Gigabit[/*:m:2mhmimzg]
  • Bootloader: Chimera[/*:m:2mhmimzg]
  • Boot options: 64-boot Apple Boot Screen[/*:m:2mhmimzg]

STEP 5: FINETUNING
  • Download TRIM Enabler for Mac and patch it to enable TRIM for the SSD[/*:m:2mhmimzg]
  • Download SleepEnabler.kext 10.6.7 and install it (i used Kext Beast)[/*:m:2mhmimzg]
  • Make adjustments to /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist:
    [list:2mhmimzg]
  • Add 'pmVersion=23' (without quotes) to the 'Kernel Flags' definition. Otherwise, you get a kernel panic when booting
    Code:
    <key>Kernel Flags</key>
    <string>pmVersion=23</string>
    [/*:m:2mhmimzg]
  • I added
    Code:
    <key>Quiet Boot</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    because I want fast boot![/*:m:2mhmimzg]
  • GraphicsEnabler needs to be set in order to run games like Portal 2:
    Code:
    <key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
    <string>yes</string>
    [/*:m:2mhmimzg]
[/*:m:2mhmimzg][/list:u:2mhmimzg]

That's all! Easy as pie :headbang:

For the record, although I say 100%, I don't whether USB 3.0 and eSATA work: I don't have any devices to test with ;)

eSATA works. I connected a SATA BR-player which I had laying around through a SATA --> eSATA connector and it is recognized correctly (with name and all in System Profiler), can eject it and can read the contents of the discs I put in. Hot swapping works.

USB 3.0 ports seem to be non-functioning.

UPDATE:
SleepEnabler and NullCPUPowerManagement are related to each other. It seems that if I only use one of them, sleep doesn't work. But if I use either BOTH or NONE, sleep DOES work. So we choose to not use them. And if we won't use SleepEnabler, the pmVersion kernel flag need not be set.

UPDATE 2:
It seems I need GraphicsEnabler=yes in order for games like Portal 2 to run. Added to guide.

Re: Guide 100%: GA-H67MA-UD2H-B3 ; i5-2500 ; HD-5770 ; 10.6.8

FTR, eSATA works fine. I had kp's with the jmicron kext so I got rid of it. For the hard drives, IOAHCIblockstorageinjector in your E/E folder should be all you need. This is in addition to fakesmc in e/e. If you get HDMI audio to work, you don't even need the audio kexts (if you don't care about onboard audio). All in all, good work. Let us know how the usb3 kext works out.

Just tested the USB 3.0 port by putting a simple mouse in it. Didn't work... Will have to try to get it to work. So no 100% anymore :p

But eSATA indeed works, see bottom opening post.

You'll have to forgive my naivete as I'm just getting into the swing of building my first hackintosh...

I have a very similar setup and have done everything you did except for what looks to be terminal commands. Where do I input those commands? It looks like there's a command prompt I can bring up when it boots into Chimera, but that's as far as I've gotten.

Update: Got it working, thanks for the awesome tips!

Hello,

How do we avoid the kernel panic from happening with the 10.6.8 update?

I read in another thread to remove ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext before the update, is this correct?

I have done that, then followed all of the steps, but when I boot up it just sits there, never shows video.

Thanks!

Hi there, I am quite a newbie so please forgive my potentially stupid question. I am getting almost the same system as you have now (just a Z-motherboard for overclocking and a different GPU). Now, from the research I've done so far it seems to me that DSDT's are designed to have the hardware work more closely with the software. Still, you install the SleepEnabler.kext. Why is this necessary? Is this not what the DSDT is supposed to do?

Thanks very much for the guide, will probably help me a lot when I build my system next week. :)

Edit: One more question: do I need to use the legacy iBoot CD or the normal one?

insaneses said:
How do we avoid the kernel panic from happening with the 10.6.8 update?
[...]
That's the way that's explained here, but I haven't had that problem myself, so I can't help you really. Perhaps you're not updating from 10.6.0, as I did?

Quinoky said:
Still, you install the SleepEnabler.kext. Why is this necessary? Is this not what the DSDT is supposed to do?
It is supposed to, yes, but I tried it without and it wouldn't shut down properly. So I installed the SleepEnabler and now it works perfectly. Perhaps it was just a glitch. Will remove it and try again.
EDIT: see updated first post. It seems that when I have NullCPUPowerManagement, but not SleepEnabler or the other way around, sleep does NOT work. If I have BOTH or NEITHER, sleep DOES work. So I removed them both.

Quinoky said:
Edit: One more question: do I need to use the legacy iBoot CD or the normal one?
Normal one.

Hi there,

I built almost this exact system a couple months back. Since then I've had a weird problem with the USB not working on wake from sleep (details: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=21196&p=155152#p155152)

Just curious if you've experienced this issue at all.

Thanks!

kirby.wa said:
Just curious if you've experienced this issue at all.
Sorry, sleep and waking from it work flawlessly for me: USB devices continue to work after sleep. Your thread mentions something about the network adapter. I used the Realtek Gigabyte Kext found in MultiBeast.

Thanks for your quick response. I guess the search continues!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back