Contribute
Register

Guide - Fusion Drive using tonymacx86 Tools & Chimera

As far as I know Fusion Drive is not yet available from Apple except pre-installed in some machines.

However,

When I translated this into English I though they were asking:

I suspect you haven't managed to answer that question. The installation procedure you used would have affected whether a Recovery HD partition would have been installed.

Incidentally, there are other ways to see if the partition is there. I tend to enable the display of "hidden" partitions in Disk Utility.

U not help nothing! And sorry for may English!

Is anyone having issues getting iMessage and Facetime to work after updating to the Fusion Drive? Was able to get the FD up and running perfectly but just noticed today that I no longer have access to iMessage or FaceTime. I get a "The server encountered an error processing registration. Please try again later." error. I have troubleshot almost every possible solution with no luck. AS of now I have tried:
updating smbois with new registration using cham. wizard
deleting network prefs and re configuring.
clearing out my/etc/hosts files
deleting system configuration folder and associated .plists

Still nothing. Any help/ recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

See the updated section of the guide. It has the fix and I can confirm it works. :)

I have problem with AppStore after making Fusion drive. Im getting this error "An unknown error has occurred". Anybody know how to fix that?

Slight amendment - you can upgrade the fusion drive but chimera will only recognize the second MBR when booting unless you go back through the desktop and terminal commands to get the first MBR on disk0s3 to recognize Chimera by adding boot0 and then re-add the extra folder. Once you do that you are all square and back to normal! I can't say enough about the work combined to put this tutorial together. The Fusion drive is a fun concept to work with.

See the updated section of the guide. It has the fix and I can confirm it works. :)

For whatever reason my org.chameleon.boot.plist is not showing that I have the string in it. I know for a fact that I entered it in exactly how Neil's instructions explained. Where would have gone? Any idea where I can locate it? I'm at a loss. Here is a screenshot of my plist Screen Shot 2012-11-25 at 12.00.16 PM.png

For whatever reason my org.chameleon.boot.plist is not showing that I have the string in it. I know for a fact that I entered it in exactly how Neil's instructions explained. Where would have gone? Any idea where I can locate it? I'm at a loss. Here is a screenshot of my plistView attachment 39353
Have you installed somthing via multibeast after adding the string to your plist?
If so, multibeast deleted your old plist and created a new one.
This happens everytime you select the dsdt/non-dsdt installation or the chimera installation.

Have you installed somthing via multibeast after adding the string to your plist?
If so, multibeast deleted your old plist and created a new one.
This happens everytime you select the dsdt/non-dsdt installation or the chimera installation.

Yes I have installed something using multibeast since. Thats good to know, thanks. So now that I've overwritten the plist-is the only way to get back to a fusion drive with out the string is to try to recreate a fusion drive from the beginning?

Document Fusion Drive install with Mountain Lion 10.8.2 using Tony's tools and a Current Version of Chimera

This is a derived work where I have taken work done by others and wrapped them up to create a step by step guide to produce a bootable Fusion Drive using only the TonyMacX86 tool set and the current Chimera boot loader.

Edit inserted Nov 21, 2012 by neil - please note that several users of this guide have found that they loose the ability to connect to iCloud and iMessage does not work. They have found that if the boot uuid string (rd=uuid boot-uuid=Core Storage LV UUID) is deleted or never entered, the iCloud and iMessage functionality is maintained (assuming you had it to start).

I have confirmed that this edit does in fact restore my iCloud functionality. However some users have not reported the problem so it is up to the user to include or not include the boot uuid string. End of Edit by neil
neil

been following this guide and also your Raid0 guide, my raid0 still going strong since i followed your guide even after the Mountain Lion upgrade however just like the users of Fusion drive i was having the same problem with Messages, Facetime and icloud. after reading that some users were able to fix the problem with removing the uuid string i decided to try it on my raid0 setup and it also worked!

Thanks Neil

Wonderful writeup. I was getting the Posix Error 22 when I tried creating the Fusion drive. Turns out it was having Drive Genius DrivePulse running. Once I quit that program, everything worked perfectly.

Back