Contribute
Register

Guide - Fusion Drive using tonymacx86 Tools & Chimera

Hi, I was able to create the Fusion Drive and it works flawlwessly, except for one point: my monitor resolution is broken after the LVG creation. I followed this guide very carefully (except for booting my system from an external usb drive where I have superduped my system).
I tried also the EFI injection (as stated here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-lion-desktop-support/61216-10-8-how-enable-hd4000.html) in the boot.plist for the HD4000 graphics I use, but nothing, I continue to see the screen at low res.

As I understand there are three boot.plist files, one for eache phisical drive and a third for the logical volume gropu. Is that correct?
In which one I should try my attempts to make my monitor/graphics recognized?

Thank you in advance.
There are 2 boot.plist files.
they are both lokated on the 2 "boot osx" partitions.
if you want to try some changes, you have to change both boot.plists.

I'm getting a bit frustrated with this! Have tried a couple of times and cannot get it to boot at all.

I can see the boot and extra files being copied over to the boot sections for each of the fused drives, but I keep getting a "can't see mach_kernal" error in Chimera.

Any ideas anyone? I have followed this guide to the letter, but can't see where things are going wrong...

Many thanks

I'm getting a bit frustrated with this! Have tried a couple of times and cannot get it to boot at all.

I can see the boot and extra files being copied over to the boot sections for each of the fused drives, but I keep getting a "can't see mach_kernal" error in Chimera.

Any ideas anyone? I have followed this guide to the letter, but can't see where things are going wrong...

Many thanks

Are you booting with kernelchache?

If not. Change the setting.

Just curious is it necessary to clone hdd. Or after FD creation can I Uni-Beast it Or I-Boot?

PS. I tried cloning and creating my FD but failed at boot almost every time. Had Blue screen a few times re-tried and got stuck at apple logo. Heaps of problems. I am kinda new at all this but I tried it tons of times.

The one have Real Mac and fusion drive. U guys have Recovery HD? When star Mac hold option key, look if have "Recovery HD". Please.

The one have Real Mac and fusion drive. U guys have Recovery HD? When star Mac hold option key, look if have "Recovery HD". Please.

In my MacBook Pro i installed the Fusion Drive on Wednesday. There is no "Recovery HD" at startup with pressed "alt" key.
You could see the SSD and HDD, both with the same name, in my case "Macintosh Fusion Drive".

Awesome job! I have this working flawlessly. My only concern is when I have updated to the new 10.8.2 supplemental update version 2, I cannot reboot into the fusion drive. Prior to restarting should I go through the steps to make Chimera boot the drive again? Or do I have to update my backup drive and re-clone the fusion drive? Essentially starting from step 1 for every OS update? Help!

In my MacBook Pro i installed the Fusion Drive on Wednesday.
As far as I know Fusion Drive is not yet available from Apple except pre-installed in some machines.

However,
When I translated this into English I though they were asking:
Anyone who has a real Apple-installed Fusion Drive: do you have a "Recovery HD" partition? When starting the Mac hold the option key and see if "Recovery HD" appears in the list. Please.
I suspect you haven't managed to answer that question. The installation procedure you used would have affected whether a Recovery HD partition would have been installed.

Incidentally, there are other ways to see if the partition is there. I tend to enable the display of "hidden" partitions in Disk Utility.

Took the plunge and updated the Fusion drive to Mac OSX 10.8.2 Supplemental Update 2 - did not do anything else, rebooted and voila! Worked with no issues so far. All kexts for my board and hardware were not affected. No need to reload Chimera or direct the drives to recognize the bootloader. Will report back if anything is amiss...hope it;s this easy with 10.8.3, but I have a feeling I will be running MultiBeast after that update.....

Is anyone having issues getting iMessage and Facetime to work after updating to the Fusion Drive? Was able to get the FD up and running perfectly but just noticed today that I no longer have access to iMessage or FaceTime. I get a "The server encountered an error processing registration. Please try again later." error. I have troubleshot almost every possible solution with no luck. AS of now I have tried:
updating smbois with new registration using cham. wizard
deleting network prefs and re configuring.
clearing out my/etc/hosts files
deleting system configuration folder and associated .plists

Still nothing. Any help/ recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Back