Contribute
Register

Guide for Gigabyte H/Z97N-WIFI Using HD4600 or GTX 750 Ti Using Clover (El Capitan)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Stork,

Thanks for putting this together, however my system never gets past part 1 of the install. The progress bar with the apple logo gets to the end, but just stays there for hours.

I ran the install again in verbose mode and attached a pic. Hoping you can point me in the right direction. Sig should have the details, but mobo is GA-Z97N-wifi and CPU is Core i3 4370. I have an EVGA Geforce GT 740, but it's not installed in the machine... I figure I can do that after El Capitan is up and running.

Attachments

• IMG_0057.JPG
    IMG_0057.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 179
Hey Stork,

Thanks for putting this together, however my system never gets past part 1 of the install. The progress bar with the apple logo gets to the end, but just stays there for hours.

I ran the install again in verbose mode and attached a pic. Hoping you can point me in the right direction. Sig should have the details, but mobo is GA-Z97N-wifi and CPU is Core i3 4370. I have an EVGA Geforce GT 740, but it's not installed in the machine... I figure I can do that after El Capitan is up and running.
I can't make heads or tails from your screen picture since I'd have to read it using a mirror standing on my head. :problem:

I'd go ahead and install the GT 740, change the BIOS to boot from the PCI16 and start again. The GT 740 doesn't need the Nvidia web drivers unless it has the GDDR5 memory.

I can't make heads or tails from your screen picture since I'd have to read it using a mirror standing on my head. :problem:

Damn Apple. Ok I've fixed (I think). I'll try the GT 740 process you suggest. It looks like there's some complaint about disc space, but this is a 16gb USB key so that shouldn't be a problem.

R.

Attachments

• IMG_0057.png
    IMG_0057.png
    13.7 MB · Views: 153
I'd go ahead and install the GT 740, change the BIOS to boot from the PCI16 and start again. The GT 740 doesn't need the Nvidia web drivers unless it has the GDDR5 memory.

Ok tried that again with the GT740 installed as you suggested. Weird thing is, even if I change the BIOS to boot from the PCIx16 first, I don't get anything on the graphics card. Now I have to clear the BIOS using the jumper and redo it because the BIOS won't come up on the IGP anymore.

I think maybe I should test this card in another machine.

More colour. I followed your guide for Yosemite, and that worked fine. This VERY machine was running Yosemite ok, but in the process of trying to upgrade to El Capitan, I don't have anything on it anymore. I'd like to just get it up and running on the IGP with El Capitan and then deal with the discrete graphics card. I can't even get to part 2 of the installation.

Maybe have a quick look at that pic I updated and tell me where you think it's hanging up?

Thanks in advance,

Rob.

Ok tried that again with the GT740 installed as you suggested. Weird thing is, even if I change the BIOS to boot from the PCIx16 first, I don't get anything on the graphics card. Now I have to clear the BIOS using the jumper and redo it because the BIOS won't come up on the IGP anymore.

I think maybe I should test this card in another machine.

More colour. I followed your guide for Yosemite, and that worked fine. This VERY machine was running Yosemite ok, but in the process of trying to upgrade to El Capitan, I don't have anything on it anymore. I'd like to just get it up and running on the IGP with El Capitan and then deal with the discrete graphics card. I can't even get to part 2 of the installation.

Maybe have a quick look at that pic I updated and tell me where you think it's hanging up?

Thanks in advance,

Rob.
Wow! It took forever to download that picture. The pixil density must be way higher than 72dpi. Unfortunately, I've never seen the dump before. Can't help you just looking at it.

BTW, how are you connecting to your monitor? DVI or DP or HDMI. VGA hasn't been supported by Apple for more than a decade.

BTW, how are you connecting to your monitor? DVI or DP or HDMI. VGA hasn't been supported by Apple for more than a decade.

Ok, I have progress. I now have El Capitan installed on this mac, but without the nvidia graphics card. The card I have is the EVGA GT 740 with DDR3 memory. When I install the card in the system and move the DVI cable from the integrated gfx output to the DVI port on the graphics card, the system seems to come up, but nothing comes up on the screen. If I switch the cable back to the integrated DVI port and reboot, the system goes through the normal boot process but gets stuck before the login screen... the wheel is running in the middle of a black screen (like the one you get when your iPhone shuts down), the pointer shows up in the top left corner for an instant (still black screen) and then the wheel comes back... this loops indefinitely.

So I figured the problem was maybe the nVidia drivers... yes I know that the GT 740 should be supported natively, but it seemed to me that the system was trying to start the video card unsuccessfully. So yeah - I removed the card, booted into the system using the IGP (no problem at all), and installed the web drivers.

Still no success for the nvidia card it seems... just stays black and never comes up.

I CAN now boot into the IGP with the nvidia card still installed, but clearly the system is having trouble as indicated by the attached picture. You can see that the system sees the nvidia card, but there's an awful lot of noise going on there.

Any suggestions? I guess the next step is to force the BIOS to use the PCIx16 slot as the default video (which I have already done, but the system won't even bring up the BIOS screen on the nvidia card), and TURN OFF the IGP in the BIOS. My concern here is that I'll have to short the BIOS reset pins if that doesn't work, because then I won't be able to do anything on the IGP anymore.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_3385_small.jpg
    IMG_3385_small.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 99
hey man Bluetooth its working on this motherboard?or i need to use a USB dongle?

hey man Bluetooth its working on this motherboard?or i need to use a USB dongle?
I didn't test the Bluetooth as the it was integrated with the WiFi card. Since the WiFi was not compatible, I knew I was going to have to replace the Gigabyte combo card. See my build description for more information (link in signature block).

I didn't test the Bluetooth as the it was integrated with the WiFi card. Since the WiFi was not compatible, I knew I was going to have to replace the Gigabyte combo card. See my build description for more information (link in signature block).

ahh ok well i was asking you because i have a 4 years old hackintosh with this motherboard GA-Z77N-WIFI and bluetooth is working fine on this motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back