Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Skylake H170N-WIFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
can someone help me , i can't adjust dual boot mac osx with windows 10 on separate hard drives
i can't find the EFI/Microsoft/Boot/ directory even after i mount EFI partition

I just installed Windows 10 as a second boot on a separate SSD, once installed clover just found the second SSD and it came up automatically in the boot menu. There was a bit of stuffing around before I got it to work though.

- I tried to install a non UEFI version of Windows 10, this didn't work! You have to make a UEFI version of the USB stick using Rufus as detailed here (step 6) http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2376-usb-flash-drive-create-install-windows-10-a.html
- I tried installing with my Mac SSD still attached, don't do this! It stuffed up my Clover and I had to reinstall that!
- Unplug the Mac drive, install Windows, get it all up and running, then plug the Mac drive back in, it should come up in the Clover boot menu then. There are three listings for Windows on my install, only one works, just try them one-by-one.

Hope this helps :thumbup:

Cheers,

Matt

This tutorial was very helpful, thank you so much for making it!
I purchased all the hardware per the guide (after buying another board without a guide) and have had minimal issues! only one minor one that maybe some of you have had and can help me with:
Sleep. If I tell the computer to sleep, it will go to sleep and then wake up 2 seconds later. I looked through the logs and it seemed like the networking was triggering an 'early wake' state and making it power back on. odd thing is that if I leave it alone for a while it will eventually go to sleep...
I disabled all the network adapters (the nic and wifi card) and it will sleep and stay asleep right away so its something to do with that. I disabled wake on lan in the bios and under power settings but it didnt seem to help. tried loading a different ktext driver for the lan card to no avail. I dont have any USB drives plugged in, only a keyboard.
Of note, I did have the issue where if you pick shutdown it would reboot, a check in the 'shutdown fix' checkbox in the clover configurator resolved that.
any thoughts are appreciated!

If I tell the computer to sleep, it will go to sleep and then wake up 2 seconds later.

I had the exact same symptom and in my case it was bluetooth.
Bluetooth preferences -> Advanced -> uncheck "Allow bluetooth devices to wake this computer"
After that, it goes to sleep and stays sleep. Unfortunately I can't wake it up by using my bluetooth keyboard but I still can use USB wifi mouse.

I tried that but it didn't help. something with the USB. it actually will go to sleep, wake up, then go back to sleep a few minutes later...
<Notice>: Wake reason: XDCI
some kind of USB thing? Tried checking FIX USB in clover but that didn't help. not sure what else to do

I get a kernel panic and I don't know how to fix it.
So I'm able to boot using '-x' to go into safe mode and when I go into system preferences and try to open the Nvidia Driver Manager, it says unable to open and to re-install the drivers which I do and the computer restarts after the installation and it reboots fine and works until I turn it off.
When I turn it back on, it gives me the same kernel panic and I need to do the same process again to re-install the web drivers.
Does anyone know why this happens and how to fix it?

What monitors is everyone running for those who did not opt for a dedicated graphics card? I'm assuming this motherboard cannot run 4k @ 60hz via DVI or HDMI.

Can it run 2560 x 1440 at 60hz? Can it run 2 monitors at that resolution/refresh rate via HDMI?

Thanks!

Dell U2711 and a older Dell 28" - both max resolution 1920X1080. I'll be dumping for a new 4k, but does bother me Dell is limiting resolution over HDMI. I've tried many EDID overrides and such, just can't seem to get a better resolution. Also don't understand why this worked fine on an older Mackintosh running a Nvidia card but not with the embedded card ( hooked up over DVI). DVI on the embedded Intel on the Z170 won't go above 1600, again no idea why it's limited? There must be an override setting somewhere, just not found it yet.

Dell U2711 and a older Dell 28" - both max resolution 1920X1080. I'll be dumping for a new 4k, but does bother me Dell is limiting resolution over HDMI. I've tried many EDID overrides and such, just can't seem to get a better resolution. Also don't understand why this worked fine on an older Mackintosh running a Nvidia card but not with the embedded card ( hooked up over DVI). DVI on the embedded Intel on the Z170 won't go above 1600, again no idea why it's limited? There must be an override setting somewhere, just not found it yet.
So you must have a dedicated graphics card in order to run at new 4k monitor you're eyeing right? I'm using an old 1080p dell monitor I had lying around but want to upgrade to something with a better picture. I'm eying the Dell UltraSharp U2515H. It has a QHD 2560 x 1440 resolution. I want to make sure my integrated graphics can push the full 2560 x 1440 resolution before I buy it.

Last edited:
Can you recommend a 960 card for use with this? Is the GT 960 the same as the GTX 960?

SnazzyLabs sent me...

Heres the deal: I built this out, and have a considerable golden build. This is surprisingly a video beast! Exports and renders crazy fast.

Being that I am a full time editor, I love to use dual-monitors with my setup. For some reason, when I boot my build with two HDMI monitors (I am using integrated graphics) I cannot get both to work. After the apple logo, one cuts out and the other is just static. Hot plugging does nothing. Is there anything I can do to get both HDMI monitors to work.

Desperate.

SnazzyLabs sent me...

Heres the deal: I built this out, and have a considerable golden build. This is surprisingly a video beast! Exports and renders crazy fast.

Being that I am a full time editor, I love to use dual-monitors with my setup. For some reason, when I boot my build with two HDMI monitors (I am using integrated graphics) I cannot get both to work. After the apple logo, one cuts out and the other is just static. Hot plugging does nothing. Is there anything I can do to get both HDMI monitors to work.

Desperate.
I also came from snazzy labs.. I have tried different things, one thing that (sort of) worked for me is this..

http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/b...-imac-15-or-imac-17-system-definition.183113/

Download AGDPfix.app.zip and run the app and install the patch. The hotplugging of a 2nd monitor will work.
One issue that i got from this was that if a monitor was put to sleep (hot corner/ idle monitor sleep) it would not wake up, and the system would kernel panic :(. However, if you disable all forms of monitor sleep, it might work for you..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back