Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Skylake H170N-WIFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
can someone help me , i can't adjust dual boot mac osx with windows 10 on separate hard drives
i can't find the EFI/Microsoft/Boot/ directory even after i mount EFI partition

I just installed the Dell DW1560 card 3 days after getting my build working. The antenna is attached. I then followed these steps to install the KEXT files.

1. Copy USBInjectAll.kext from your postinstall directory to the Desktop.
  2. If using the suggested wireless card above, extract these four kexts:
    • Unzip RehabMan-FakePCIID.zip and copy FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext from the Release/ directory to the Desktop
    • Unzip RehabMan-BrcmPatchRam.zip and copy BcrmPatchRAM2.kext and BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext from the Release/ directory to the Desktop
  3. Unzip the KextBeast application you copied from the postinstall directory of the USB stick earlier. Run the resulting application, and select /Library/Extensions as the install location when prompted.
  4. After KextBeast finishes, delete the kext(s) from the Desktop
Rebooted... But only wifi is working. Any ideas how to get Bluetooth (and continuity) to work? Did I miss anything?

Hey yousefa00,

It should work :thumbup: From what I've read, El Capitan supports Radeon out of the box.

With my Radeon, I installed everything and got it all fully up and running first with the integrated graphics. I then shut down, installed the card, connected the monitors and powered on, and it came up straight away :)

Cheers,

Matt
Do you have any issues with sleep/wake or shutdown? If you don't maybe I should buy an AMD graphics card instead.

Anyone have this board working successfully with a GTX-960 card? I am still having issues with booting.

What is the issue exactly? Im using a GTX 950 with my build. I still have a few minor issues(sleep/wake, shutdown) but I can boot all the way. I have full graphics from my GPU. If all else is failing to boot you should try installing OS X on intergrated graphics 1st. Then download the Nvidia Web Drivers and install them. Shut down and then install the card. You might need to boot with flag. I did not have to use flag. I actually downloaded the web drivers after I installed the card. I was getting 7MB of graphics when I booted up 1st. Then I installed the drivers. I went to Clover and checked the "nvda_drv=1". Good luck.

Hi and thanks for the guide - and giving me hope :)

I can't get past the Apple boot logo...bar doesn't budge no matter how much I beg.... have tried all suggestions from previous posts

Since it's my first attempt at a Hackintosh... I have to also ask some stupid questions:

1. I don't have any USB 2 ports... is that a dealbreaker?

2. Is there something I should add/remove for the ASUS GT730 to make it work? (maybe remove it altogether?..) I did try to order an as-close-as-possible configuration from what is available in my country...

3. Should I be even trying to install with my Dell U2515H connected via HDMI?

I've also tried with an LG VGA monitor (on the GT730) with same luck... is the the ASUS GT730 the problem? or am I missing some small idiotic detail...or something big????

thanks all....

My Configuration
Gigabyte H170n WIFI
BIOS F3
Core i7-6700
2x 8 GB DDR4-2133 CRUCIAL
ASUS GeForce GT 730 2GB
Samsung 850 Evo SATA SSD
Thermaltace Core V1 [case]

Hello,

1. No USB 2 not a deal-breaker.
2. You could be missing booting with nv_disable=1.You can try without GT730. Use Intel 530 graphics 1st then install the card later.
3. Definitely try HDMI connection.

Hope this helps.

Hello,

1. No USB 2 not a deal-breaker.
2. You could be missing booting with nv_disable=1.You can try without GT730. Use Intel 530 graphics 1st then install the card later.
3. Definitely try HDMI connection.

Hope this helps.

It helped! Thanks a million...

Issue was unrelated in BIOS (had XHCI Hand-off: Disabled) - you guys weren't kidding about checking EACH step from 1st post... so blind...

Needed the reassurance, cheers!

No p
It helped! Thanks a million...

Issue was unrelated in BIOS (had XHCI Hand-off: Disabled) - you guys weren't kidding about checking EACH step from 1st post... so blind...

Needed the reassurance, cheers!

Sometimes it's those little details that we miss. Glad you resolved your problem.

Hello ;-)

Another system up and running ;-)
Snazzylabs setup with samsung 950 pro NVMe and i7 6700

View attachment 199923

Thanks Tonymac ;-) I will give a donation ;-)
would you mind posting the steps you've taken 'cause I've been trying all day to get this but it just wont boot.

Just like to say a big THANK YOU to ammulder for this great guide, and also to tonymac for the wonderful site and guides.

Managed to build my first hackintosh with these parts:

Gigabyte GA Z170N Gaming 5 with m.2 DW1560 card
Intel i5 6600K Skylake
EVGA GTX 950 FTW
Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB RAM
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
WD Red 3TB
Fractal Design Node 304

I followed very closely to the steps provided, and uses ammulder's config.plist even thou it's a different board from the H170. I did not use the SSDT for the H170N thou.

So far I'm very happy with this setup. It's eerily quiet even when it's running benchmark tests. Thanks to this guide, I go through the process very smoothly, and manage to get the system up within 3 hrs for the software side without encountering any boot error. I do face some issues, and managed to solve some, so here's the issues you might be facing in case you're reading this post...

(1) Audio port (stereo/headphone) not working on the motherboard rear, but stereo/headphone port at the front of the case is working. Have not really test out all the rear audio ports yet, but since I always use the front audio port with headphones, I'm ok with it.

(2) Multiple EFI entries in BIOS. Please follow this link to fix this issue http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/g...boot-entries-prevent-further-problems.175274/. The #53 post by MacMerlin on page 6 helps a lot for my case.

(3) Graphics option seems to be stuck at "OSX Default Graphics Driver". After further reading, it seems like this is "normal", as hackintosh has no NVRAM? Hardware acceleration seems to be working fine, so no worries for me.

(4) TRIM support not enabled by default. This isn't a hackintosh issue, but just in case you're using SSD that has TRIM support, you can enable it easily.

(5) Adding shared printer issue. I suspect this might be EL Capitan issue. I had a printer thats attached to an old iMac (Snow Leopard) over the network, and the printer doesn't seems to "stick" even when I managed to add it successfully. End of the day, I solve this by resetting the printing system, then download and install the printer driver for 10.11, and WAIT for the printer to appear in the 'Nearby' section within the add printer page before the printer can be added normally.

(6) USB ports doesn't have enough power. Still looking at this issue. This motherboard USB ports are all USB 3 ports, and thou all the ports works (except the USB C one which I haven't try), there's only enough power for 1 portable HDD drive (spinning type). When I plug in a thumb drive at any USB port AFTER the portable HDD drive is plugged in, the system will prompt me a "not enough power" message. I had tried with 2 thumb drives, and they are working fine. Googled around and it seems to be a software issue. Does anyone face this problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back