Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Skylake H170N-WIFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Ammulder and other! Last update on my system.

- Intel i211 Ethernet port don't functions very well. It often causes kernel panic. And finally, it very often stops to work. If you plug out the lan cable from the router, it causes an accidental reboot of the pc. So I disabled it.
- I use the Intel i219 Ethernet port with IntelMausiEthernet.kext and wow, no more kernel panic, it sucks! works well!!! No problems with browser (firefox and Safari) and Apple Store. Perfect!.
- Bluetooth seems to work with some devices. Tested with the PS4 controller, ok! Tested with Microsoft Design Bluetooth mouse and keyboard: the bluetooth makes the pairing for same second, after that it loses the connection. I'll try with an original Apple's bluetooth mouse and keyboard.
- On board Audio: the front inputs of the case are ok!. the rear inputs don't work!, I tried to plug the rear stereo output with the input on my monitor. No sound. I don't know the cause. Ammulder, did you say that the audio haven't problems?. I don't know how resolve.
Bye!!!

Thank you so much for all of your work on this guide. I would never be able to complete this without it!

This is where I am on my install (14 of the post-installation configuration). I have a MSI Geforce GT 730, as was recommended, and checked nv_disable=1 in clover for the install. However, I do not have the AppleGraphicsControl.kext in my S/L/extensions folder. Graphics remain choppy at the moment, but the system runs. Is this a necessary step to get the graphics working properly? Can I copy the files into the folder from somewhere else? If so, where can I find it?

If you're booting with nv_disable=1, then you're disabling graphics acceleration, so it will be slow and choppy.

You can try just removing nv_disable=1. Either it won't start up at all, in which case you need to put it back and install the Nvidia Web drivers, or you'll be totally OK, or your screen will turn off halfway through and you'll need the AppleGraphicsControl.kext fix above.

If you install the Nvidia Web drivers and then you boot up and your screen powers off halfway through, then you need the AppleGraphicsControl.kext fix above. You can boot with nv_disable=1 one last time to apply it. It would be pretty unusual if you didn't have the kext. To confirm, try opening a terminal and running:
Code:
ls -ld /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext
And check that it doesn't reply with "No such file or directory"

Hi Ammulder and other! Last update on my system.

- Intel i211 Ethernet port don't functions very well. It often causes kernel panic. And finally, it very often stops to work. If you plug out the lan cable from the router, it causes an accidental reboot of the pc. So I disabled it.
- I use the Intel i219 Ethernet port with IntelMausiEthernet.kext and wow, no more kernel panic, it sucks! works well!!! No problems with browser (firefox and Safari) and Apple Store. Perfect!.
- Bluetooth seems to work with some devices. Tested with the PS4 controller, ok! Tested with Microsoft Design Bluetooth mouse and keyboard: the bluetooth makes the pairing for same second, after that it loses the connection. I'll try with an original Apple's bluetooth mouse and keyboard.
- On board Audio: the front inputs of the case are ok!. the rear inputs don't work!, I tried to plug the rear stereo output with the input on my monitor. No sound. I don't know the cause. Ammulder, did you say that the audio haven't problems?. I don't know how resolve.
Bye!!!

That was pretty much my experience with the i211 and i219.

I have never used the Intel Bluetooth that the board ships with. I just replaced the whole card with a Broadcom one where both WiFi and Bluetooth work.

I'll double-check the rear audio outputs on mine later.

Thank you so much for writing this guide, and I've got my system up and running on El Capitan.
I have some issues though:
1) After a few minutes, I get a faint popping noise then electronic sounding audio noise through my headphones. This usually also follows screen flickering and random artifacts (I'm using a gtx 970 with the nvidia web drivers).
2) System will sometimes try to boot into osx in the apple screen then stop half way and reboot.

I haven't had either problem. Sometimes people talk about fussing with outputs in System Configuration/Sound (and perhaps leaving that screen open) or other solutions for audio problems.

For the reboot, you can always boot in verbose mode and post a photo of the text on the screen just before the reboot if it does the reboot thing. That would be helpful in trying to troubleshoot it.

That was pretty much my experience with the i211 and i219.

I have never used the Intel Bluetooth that the board ships with. I just replaced the whole card with a Broadcom one where both WiFi and Bluetooth work.

I'll double-check the rear audio outputs on mine later.

Thank You Ammulder, I wait for your news about the rear audio input/output.
About Bluetooth, did you read my post above, about driver? What do you think? I didn't understand the guide.

Another problem not resolved is the boot with Clover. I Have Two Ssd, one for Windows 10 (total of 3 partitions) and last for iOS. I did install iOS after Windows 10, and the Windows 10 Ssd was mounted during the iOS installation on the second Ssd. When I turn on the pc the Clover boot option starts and I find several hd pictures, 3 of the Windows Ssd and one of the iOS Ssd + recovery. The boot for IOS is ok. Not for Windows, the boot don't go, a black screen appears and nothing more, I Have to reset The Pc. I noticed that in my bios settings, several identical boot options of the same iOS Ssd are showed..about 16... and one option for the Windows Ssd..something is wrong.....do you Have suggests for Me?. Thank you Ammulder.

About Bluetooth, did you read my post above, about driver? What do you think? I didn't understand the guide.

From what I can tell, you are using the Bluetooth that the motherboard ships with. I have never done that. I don't know what drivers would be required or how to get it to work.

Another problem not resolved is the boot with Clover. I Have Two Ssd, one for Windows 10 (total of 3 partitions) and last for iOS. I did install iOS after Windows 10, and the Windows 10 Ssd was mounted during the iOS installation on the second Ssd. When I turn on the pc the Clover boot option starts and I find several hd pictures, 3 of the Windows Ssd and one of the iOS Ssd + recovery. The boot for IOS is ok. Not for Windows, the boot don't go, a black screen appears and nothing more, I Have to reset The Pc. I noticed that in my bios settings, several identical boot options of the same iOS Ssd are showed..about 16... and one option for the Windows Ssd..something is wrong.....

That sounds like a good question for the Multi Booting forum.

Thank You Ammulder.

Another question, when I close El Capitan the pc turn off...ok..., but after a second the Pc restarts alone. Why??? I don't want it. Everytime I Have to press the case' power button, during the restart, to turn it off.

thanks for the excellent guide ammulder!

one question, how did you get Intel Power Gadget installed? Mine is saying this generation of CPUs not supported.

I have 6700k

edit: used Pacifist to install power gadget :)

couple notes for others that might be installing:
- had graphics issues at first, make sure to follow ammulder's graphics kext editing procedure using terminal. Could not boot w/o nv_disable - I had to replace the kext and re-edit after trying to edit it using other methods.
- NVME boot from 950 pro works great but ONLY with injected kexts from Clover. If i install any kexts to the drive itself it hangs on boot with the white circle with slash.

Hey guys, I am having some graphics card issues. Could anyone possibly lend some advice? I am trying to install a PNY Nvidia GT730. I followed all the instructions in the guide at the beginning of this thread and I installed the most recent Nvidia web drivers. I selected the Nvidia drivers in system preferences and restarted the computer. I also changed the bios to boot with PCI graphics, instead of Integrated graphics.

-when I physically install the graphics card, and hook up a monitor to the gpu dvi port, I get a black screen after seeing the apple logo.
-if i leave the gpu installed and try to boot the computer using integrated graphics (dvi), I get an error at Apple sound assertion HDADriver during boot.

However, if i physically remove the Graphics card, the system will boot completely fine.

Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Hey guys, I am having some graphics card issues. Could anyone possibly lend some advice? I am trying to install a PNY Nvidia GT730. I followed all the instructions in the guide at the beginning of this thread and I installed the most recent Nvidia web drivers. I selected the Nvidia drivers in system preferences and restarted the computer. I also changed the bios to boot with PCI graphics, instead of Integrated graphics.

-when I physically install the graphics card, and hook up a monitor to the gpu dvi port, I get a black screen after seeing the apple logo.
-if i leave the gpu installed and try to boot the computer using integrated graphics (dvi), I get an error at Apple sound assertion HDADriver during boot.

However, if i physically remove the Graphics card, the system will boot completely fine.

Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Hi, Try so:
Download Firefox and Nvidia web drivers before to do a clean installation of El Capitan. Put the two files into the "post installation" folder.
Don't plug in the lan cable into the Intel i211 Ethernet port.
I
nstall EL CAPITAN with only the integrated video card (in bios, disable the pci express).
Don't mount the nvidia card!!.

2 Follow the guide until the "14" of the post-installation configuration and install nvidia web drivers (use nvidia installer in the post installation folder)
3 Reboot
4 turn off your Pc when bios starts.
5 open the case and mount the nvidia card
6 Turn on the PC and enter in bios
7 enable pci express as primary videocard, disable the intel Hd video card
8 reboot
9 It should be fine!
10 If not, unmount nvidia card, set the integrated video card as primary, run El Capitan and install the Intel i219 Ethernet port with IntelMausiEthernet.kext.
Disable the Intel i211 Ethernet in System Preferences->Network.
11 Reboot
4 turn off your Pc when bios starts.

5 open the case and mount the nvidia card
6 Turn on the PC and enter in bios
7 enable pci express as primary videocard, disable the intel Hd video card
8 reboot

Very often, the video issue is caused by the Intel i211 Ethernet port that can causes kernel panic when nvidia card in mounted.
So, During the installation process, don't plug in the lan cable!.
Use the Intel i219 Ethernet port with IntelMausiEthernet.kext. No more kernel panic with nvidia drivers and video card.

see that:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/network/1...-skylake-100-series-motherboards-testing.html

Sorry for my english! x). I hope your problem will be solved!.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back